Old 12-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Milton Calnek

Default Ethernet over USB

Don't you need two usb nic's?

Krautkramer, John wrote:

Hi,

Is it true you can run Ethernet over USB between 2 machines?

I have 2 machines running CentOS 5.0 and a simple type A male to A male
cable. I don’t see in the network setup gui how to set it up. Is there a
particular device I should select? What I see relating to USB is:

KL4USB101 USB Ethernet driver

Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver

USB CDC Ethernet driver

These appear to be some kind of hardware other than a cable.

lsmod gives me “usbnet 20041 0” so I believe this means the kernel
module is there.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

dangerous content by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
believed to be clean.

Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)
milton@calnek.com
306-717-8737

believed to be clean.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:29 PM
John R Pierce

Krautkramer, John wrote:

Hi,

Is it true you can run Ethernet over USB between 2 machines?

I have 2 machines running CentOS 5.0 and a simple type A male to A
male cable. I don’t see in the network setup gui how to set it up. Is
there a particular device I should select? What I see relating to USB is:

KL4USB101 USB Ethernet driver

Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver

USB CDC Ethernet driver

These appear to be some kind of hardware other than a cable.

USB is a master/slave interface, only allows one master on the bus, your
PC. those "A to A" network cables are in fact TWO USB slaves, each a
network adapters, one for each side. they typically emulate ethernet, so
what you see there is correct.

not quite sure why you're seeing 3 different ethernet drivers, unless
thats all the same thing by different aliases.

you'll need to configure it just like any other LAN... give each system
an IP address on the same private subnet.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Les Mikesell

Krautkramer, John wrote:

Is it true you can run Ethernet over USB between 2 machines?

With an adapter, you can run ethernet over usb in general.

I have 2 machines running CentOS 5.0 and a simple type A male to A male
cable. I don’t see in the network setup gui how to set it up. Is there a
particular device I should select? What I see relating to USB is:

KL4USB101 USB Ethernet driver

Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver

USB CDC Ethernet driver

These appear to be some kind of hardware other than a cable.

lsmod gives me “usbnet 20041 0” so I believe this means the kernel
module is there.

There are usb<->ethernet adapters like these:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=589
that you could connect through a switch or back to back with a crossover
cable. I don't know if there are Linux drivers for all chipsets but I've
used a few and they were recognized.

Unlike firewire, you can't directly connect 2 usb host adapters,
although since windows vista now includes a utility to migrate items
from an old machine over usb (like apple has always done over firewire)
there are an assortment of usb<->usb adapter cables like:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2791077&CatId=77
but I don't know if Linux knows anything about them.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com