Old 11-20-2008, 02:29 PM
"Joe Barjo"

Default howto transfer all configuration between 2 remote dedicated servers?

Hello

I'm willing to change my dedicated server hosting provider, and transfer my existing server to the new one.
I don't have kvm access, but both servers are centos5.2
I can boot a network image that is debian based and have access to the disk. Then I tried to rsync -a my first server to the destination host, but it was not reachable from the network (I modified /etc/fstab and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 for the destination server). I also copied /boot including grub configuration... (both are using grub)

As I don't have a kvm, I don't know why it is not reachable from net.

So I would like to get the list of all rpms (rpm -qa) install them to the new server, then copy all files that were added/modifed

Most packages should be still in the yum cache, but I'm not sure.
For the rpm -qa I think there should be some special flags to get an output that would be yum compatible?

But my real question is: How can I get a list of files in the whole filesystem that were added or modified compared to all the files that come from rpms?

Is there a script for doing such a thing?

Thanks

Old 11-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Joe Barjo wrote on Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:29:17 +0100:

> As I don't have a kvm, I don't know why it is not reachable from net.

You still have the option of booting with that debian image and check the
logs for obvious things. Might already help to find the problem. On
another note your new machine might be missing an mbr or not having the
correct mbr.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 PM
"Joe Barjo"

Thanks for the suggestion.
I did the rpm -Va but have quite a lot of prelink warnings. But filtering them out gives a good list of files to transfer.

I still wonder why the rsync method doesn't work, as I'm rsyncing from another server with the same distribution.

I also don't know how to re install grub from the debian. Under chroot, there are no devices.
It seems that the root filesystem doesn't even get mounted, as I have no logs at all.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Lorenzo Quatrini <lorenzo@gmk.it> wrote:

Joe Barjo ha scritto:

> Hello

[snip]

> But my real question is: How can I get a list of files in the whole

> filesystem that were added or modified compared to all the files that

> come from rpms?

> Is there a script for doing such a thing?

I think that doing some scripting around rpm -Va (to find modified files from

rpms) and a 'comm' between "rpm -qla" and something like "find /" (with some

clean-up to get files not coming from rpms) will do the magic.

--

Regards

Lorenzo Quatrini

Old 11-22-2008, 12:04 AM
"Amos Shapira"

Before you chroot, do "mount -bind..." of /sys, /dev, /proc and maybe
/boot under the chroot dir to make chroot more useful.

Cheers,

Amos

Old 11-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Dag Wieers