Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Sam Drinkard

Default Maybe a dumb question, but....

Folks, I am totally ignorant about xen, and while I've been doing a
little reading, I've not yet figured out if xen is running under CentOS
or if CentOS is running under xen on this 5.2 version of CentOS. I do
know that the whole system from the user standpoint is way slower than
it was under 4.7. Heck, I can't even find much on what to do with xen,
much less figure out how to use it. Question... is there a kernel for
5.2 that does not have xen built into it, and if so, where is it?
Perhaps someone can give me a short tutorial about its value or use, or
point me to a place where it's use is described in lay terms? I'm very
comfortable with CentOS, but this is a whole 'nother ball game !

Thanks..

Sam

Old 11-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Sam Drinkard wrote:
> Question... is there a kernel for
> 5.2 that does not have xen built into it, and if so, where is it?

The "normal" kernel 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5 does not have xen built into it,
the xen kernel is 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5xen.

> Perhaps someone can give me a short tutorial about its value or use, or
> point me to a place where it's use is described in lay terms? I'm very
> comfortable with CentOS, but this is a whole 'nother ball game !

Not that there is a whole slew of documentation on the CentOS website:

<http://centos.org/docs/5/>, try the Virtualization Guide.

Ralph

Old 11-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Sam Drinkard wrote:
> > Question... is there a kernel for
> > 5.2 that does not have xen built into it, and if so, where is it?
>
> The "normal" kernel 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5 does not have xen built into it,
> the xen kernel is 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5xen.

Obviously the versions should always be the latest available versions,
this is a copy & waste error.

Ralph

Old 11-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Sam Drinkard wrote on Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:19:02 -0500:

> Question... is there a kernel for
> 5.2 that does not have xen built into it, and if so, where is it?

You just have to install without virtualization. If already installed
remove that group with yum and reboot. (check grub.conf first, to be sure
it has been changed correctly)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany