Old 11-19-2008, 05:37 PM
"Bo Lynch"

Default Samba Source

I am trying to install the source code for samba.
I have samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1

When I try and install the samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1.src.rpm. I get the
following.....
rpm -ihv samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1.src.rpm
1:samba warning: user mockbuild does not exist - using
root
warning: group mockbuild does not exist - using root
[...]
########################################### [100%]
error: unpacking of archive failed on file
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/samba-3.0.28.tar.gz;492423fc: cpio: read

Installing the original samba src rpm samba-3.0.28-0.el5.8.src.rpm works
with no probs just the latest.
Thanks in advance for any info.

--
Bo Lynch

Old 11-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Bo Lynch wrote:

I am trying to install the source code for samba.
I have samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1

When I try and install the samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1.src.rpm. I get the
following.....
rpm -ihv samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1.src.rpm

<snip>

error: unpacking of archive failed on file
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/samba-3.0.28.tar.gz;492423fc: cpio: read

works for me
try do dl it again, your rpm is corrupted

Old 11-19-2008, 08:14 PM
"Bo Lynch"

On Wed, November 19, 2008 3:21 pm, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> Bo Lynch wrote:
>> I am trying to install the source code for samba.
>> I have samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1
>>
>> When I try and install the samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1.src.rpm. I get the
>> following.....
>> rpm -ihv samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1.src.rpm
> <snip>
>> error: unpacking of archive failed on file
>> /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/samba-3.0.28.tar.gz;492423fc: cpio: read
>
> works for me
> try do dl it again, your rpm is corrupted

That worked. First time I've had that problem. Thanks again for the help

Old 11-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Vandaman

Bo Lynch wrote:

> > Bo Lynch wrote:
> >> I am trying to install the source code for samba.
> >> I have samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1
> >>
> >> When I try and install the
> samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1.src.rpm. I get the
> >> following.....
> >> rpm -ihv samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1.src.rpm
> > <snip>
> >> error: unpacking of archive failed on file
> >>
> /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/samba-3.0.28.tar.gz;492423fc: cpio:
> read
> >
> > works for me
> > try do dl it again, your rpm is corrupted
>
> That worked. First time I've had that problem. Thanks
> again for the help

This might be a little aside, but why build rpms as root?
Are you rolling out your own patches for Samba? If so can
you share them with the list?

Regards,
Vandaman.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:23 AM
"Bo Lynch"

On Wed, November 19, 2008 4:52 pm, Vandaman wrote:
> Bo Lynch wrote:

>> samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1.src.rpm. I get the
>> > <snip>
>> >>
>> /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/samba-3.0.28.tar.gz;492423fc: cpio:
>> read
>> >
>> > works for me
>> > try do dl it again, your rpm is corrupted
>>
>> That worked. First time I've had that problem. Thanks
>> again for the help
>>

> This might be a little aside, but why build rpms as root?
> Are you rolling out your own patches for Samba? If so can
> you share them with the list?
>
> Regards,
> Vandaman.

Not rolling out patches just trying out samba-vscan with clamav on a few
of our samba boxes. Anyone has any experience,advice or recommendations I
would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Bo Lynch

Old 11-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Vandaman

Bo Lynch wrote:

> On Wed, November 19, 2008 4:52 pm, Vandaman wrote:
> >
> > This might be a little aside, but why build rpms as
> root?
> > Are you rolling out your own patches for Samba? If so
> can
> > you share them with the list?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vandaman.
>
> Not rolling out patches just trying out samba-vscan with
> clamav on a few
> of our samba boxes. Anyone has any experience,advice or
> recommendations I
> would greatly appreciate it.

Someone else can chime in on the samba-vscan but on
building rpms as non-root see
http://www.owlriver.com/tips/non-root/

There are tools in the 3rd party repos rather than doing it
all by hand.

Regards,
Vandaman.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Phil Schaffner

Vandaman wrote:

Someone else can chime in on the samba-vscan but on
building rpms as non-root see
http://www.owlriver.com/tips/non-root/

or closer to home http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SetupRpmBuildEnvironment

Phil