Old 11-19-2008, 05:35 PM
"nate"

Default qlogic driver not scanning scsi bus on load CentOS 5.1

Very strange behavior, been banging my head against the
wall on this one too. It works fine on CentOS 4.6, the
behavior is when the driver loads the bus is not scanned
or at least the devices that are exported are not detected.
(they are detected in the HBA bios no problem). If I issue
the qlogic bus scan command it doesn't get anything back
either. If I manually add the devices with "scsi add-single-device"
they immediately pop up.

I am new to using FC on CentOS 5.x with 4.x it was so easy
perhaps I should just stick to what works.

Filing a support case with my vendors as well though not
sure how much help they'll end up being.

Running a "QLogic Corp. ISP2432-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to
PCI Express HBA". Tried both the drivers from qlogic's site
and the ones that ship with CentOS. Once the devices are
detected everything works fine. Though I don't want to
hard code the "scsi add-single-device" commands into my
startup scripts if I can avoid it, rather use CentOS 4.6
instead.

Anyone seen this kind of behavior before?

thanks

nate

Old 11-20-2008, 03:42 PM
"nate"

nate wrote:
> Very strange behavior, been banging my head against the
> wall on this one too. It works fine on CentOS 4.6, the

I believe I traced this down to the driver itself, when
I loaded the most recent driver from qlogic's site the
HBA scans the devices on boot as expected.

Another thing I noticed just for archival/searching purposes
the older driver worked as well but only when I did not
have the option "ql2xfailover=0" set for the module
parameters. With that option loaded the HBA would not detect
devices on driver load, without it(on the old driver) it
did. On the new driver it works with that option. I require
that option for active-active multipathing, glad the systems
seem to work.

I was able to reproduce the same behavior under CentOS 4.x,
as well eventually and fix it simultaneously with the latest
driver. The previous HBAs I had used under CentOS 4.x were
PCI-X, and this one is PCIe so obviously a newer rev of
hardware, and it seemed to want the newer rev of software to
go with it.

nate