Old 11-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Jussi Hirvi

Default I need help with CentOS installation on a Core 2 Duo Laptop

Ralph Angenendt (ra+centos@br-online.de) kirjoitteli (19.11.2008 14:29):
>> I've tried to install CentOS 5.2 on Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0Ghz laptop
>> but what happens is every thing hangs up when anconda system installer
>> starts. So I tried PCLinuxOS in it's text-based installer it detects
>> the CPU core 1 and when it try to detected the other one system gets
>> stuck. I tried these same two distro's on another PC that have a AMD
>> X2 CPU on this PC I didn't had that problem everything went smoothly.
>
> Try installing with "linux acpi=off" (as the kernel command line for
> syslinux).
>
> The kernel which gets installed should be able to handle the system
> after installation, the installer kernel sometimes has a few problems.

Also the following option might be necessary: pci=nommconf

That is, for example
linux acpi=off pci=nommconf

- Jussi

Old 11-20-2008, 06:50 AM
"Sadaruwan Samaraweera"

Hi,
I tried this option "linux acpi=off pci=nommconf" as well but the
problem is when I use this I can install the OS but when try to boot
on to the OS it's hang up on the boot up progress bar screen of the
CentOS and I can't do any thing. So I checked it with the text mode
loader it was the same problem can any one help me to over come this.

Thank you
--
Sadaruwan Samaraweera

Old 11-20-2008, 12:39 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 2:50 AM, Sadaruwan Samaraweera
<slinuxworld@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried this option "linux acpi=off pci=nommconf" as well but the
> problem is when I use this I can install the OS but when try to boot
> on to the OS it's hang up on the boot up progress bar screen of the
> CentOS and I can't do any thing. So I checked it with the text mode
> loader it was the same problem can any one help me to over come this.

Have you tried to run the CentOS LIve CD on your laptop? If that will
not run properly, I doubt that you will get this to work properly.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Phil Schaffner

Sadaruwan Samaraweera wrote:

Hi,
I tried this option "linux acpi=off pci=nommconf" as well but the
problem is when I use this I can install the OS but when try to boot
on to the OS it's hang up on the boot up progress bar screen of the
CentOS and I can't do any thing. So I checked it with the text mode
loader it was the same problem can any one help me to over come this.

By "the text mode loader" do you mean booting to runlevel 3?

You will probably find that anaconda put "acpi=off pci=nommconf" on the
grub kernel line. Try interrupting the boot and typing "a" when grub
starts and editing the line to delete those and "rhgb quiet" and adding
"3" for runlevel 3. If the boot still fails, reply to the list with the
last output you see before it hangs.

Phil