Old 11-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Sam Drinkard

Default New installation woes

I've just installed CentOS 5.2 for the x86_64 on a SuperMicro X6DA8-G
board with two 250g SATA drives configured in the bios as a raid 1
array. After getting the base installed, I've tried to yum update the
system and I wind up with these errors....

--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency:
libmysqlclient.so.14(libmysqlclient_14)(64bit) is needed by package
perl-DBD-mysql
Error: Missing Dependency: libgsf-1.so.1()(64bit) is needed by package
libwpd
Error: Missing Dependency: libneon.so.24()(64bit) is needed by package
subversion
Error: Missing Dependency: libaprutil-0.so.0()(64bit) is needed by
package subversion
Error: Missing Dependency: libpq.so.3()(64bit) is needed by package
perl-DBD-Pg
Error: Missing Dependency: libapr-0.so.0()(64bit) is needed by package
subversion
Error: Missing Dependency: libevent-1.1a.so.1()(64bit) is needed by
package nfs-utils
Error: Missing Dependency: libmysqlclient.so.14()(64bit) is needed by
package perl-DBD-mysql

I'd like to think that out of the box centos would at least update
without a bunch of missing dependencies. Any pointers as to what the
best solution is?

Thanks..

Sam

Old 11-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Jim Wildman

I've just installed CentOS 5.2 for the x86_64 on a SuperMicro X6DA8-G
board with two 250g SATA drives configured in the bios as a raid 1
array. After getting the base installed, I've tried to yum update the
system and I wind up with these errors....

--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency:
libmysqlclient.so.14(libmysqlclient_14)(64bit) is needed by package

snip

I'd like to think that out of the box centos would at least update
without a bunch of missing dependencies. Any pointers as to what the
best solution is?

Thanks..

Sam

What is in /etc/yum.repos.d?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Sam Drinkard wrote:
> I've just installed CentOS 5.2 for the x86_64 on a SuperMicro X6DA8-G
> board with two 250g SATA drives configured in the bios as a raid 1
> array. After getting the base installed, I've tried to yum update the
> system and I wind up with these errors....
>
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency:
> libmysqlclient.so.14(libmysqlclient_14)(64bit) is needed by package
> perl-DBD-mysql

You seem to have the rpmforge repository installed, because the package
in the base repositories is called perl-DBD-MySQL (note the mixed case
MySQL).

You should use the priorities plugin to clear that up. And you need to
exclude perl-DBD-mysql from the rpmforge repository, as the priorities
plugin seems to be case sensitive.

More information on Priorities:

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

More info on Repositories:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Ralph Angenendt wrote on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:27:24 +0100:

> You seem to have the rpmforge repository installed, because the package
> in the base repositories is called perl-DBD-MySQL (note the mixed case
> MySQL).

and got replaced because the default install of yum-priorities doesn't
check_obsoletes. base package perl-DBD-MySQL was indeed obsoleted by the
rpmforge perl-DBD-mysql a few weeks ago. I fear a lot of people got caught
by this without guard. I wonder why rpmforge did this.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 11-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Sam Drinkard

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

You seem to have the rpmforge repository installed, because the package
in the base repositories is called perl-DBD-MySQL (note the mixed case
MySQL).

and got replaced because the default install of yum-priorities doesn't
check_obsoletes. base package perl-DBD-MySQL was indeed obsoleted by the
rpmforge perl-DBD-mysql a few weeks ago. I fear a lot of people got caught
by this without guard. I wonder why rpmforge did this.

Kai

Yes, I did place rpmforge, mirrors.rpmforge, rhel-mondo, and rpmforge in
the repos. I had not installed the protect base or the priorities at
the time of the intitial update. Just now, I ran update with the other
repos disabled and got about 5 libraries updated. Now, what is the fix
to update the rest of the things that amount to about 30 or so
packages? I will get the priorities and protect base before running any
further updates.

Sam

Old 11-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Dag Wieers

You seem to have the rpmforge repository installed, because the package
in the base repositories is called perl-DBD-MySQL (note the mixed case
MySQL).

and got replaced because the default install of yum-priorities doesn't
check_obsoletes. base package perl-DBD-MySQL was indeed obsoleted by the
rpmforge perl-DBD-mysql a few weeks ago. I fear a lot of people got caught
by this without guard. I wonder why rpmforge did this.

We did not do anything. It is a bug in the priorities plugin.

The reason we have a perl-DBD-mysql is because that is the upstream name
and the naming convention dictates to use the upstream name. That is the
only reliable way for not having RPM clashes.

Maybe someone should report to Red Hat that perl-DBD-MySQL has a packaging
bug ?

http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-mysql/

Old 11-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Vandaman

Dag Wieers wrote:

> We did not do anything. It is a bug in the priorities
> plugin.
>
> The reason we have a perl-DBD-mysql is because that is the
> upstream name and the naming convention dictates to use the
> upstream name. That is the only reliable way for not having
> RPM clashes.
>
> Maybe someone should report to Red Hat that perl-DBD-MySQL
> has a packaging bug ?
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-mysql/

What is the bug? It does not appear in the site you linked to.
It would be surprising if Red Hat are unaware of upstream changes
as one would expect it to be rolled out into Fedora rawhide at least
even if the changes are backported int RHEL.

Regards,
Vandaman.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Vandaman wrote:

Dag Wieers wrote:

We did not do anything. It is a bug in the priorities
plugin.

The reason we have a perl-DBD-mysql is because that is the
upstream name and the naming convention dictates to use the
upstream name. That is the only reliable way for not having
RPM clashes.

Maybe someone should report to Red Hat that perl-DBD-MySQL
has a packaging bug ?

http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-mysql/

What is the bug? It does not appear in the site you linked to.
It would be surprising if Red Hat are unaware of upstream changes
as one would expect it to be rolled out into Fedora rawhide at least

even if the changes are backported int RHEL.

*packaging bug*
the link shows that upstream is named all lowercase for mysql, so the
rpm should also.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Dag Wieers

What is the bug? It does not appear in the site you linked to.
It would be surprising if Red Hat are unaware of upstream changes as one
would expect it to be rolled out into Fedora rawhide at least
even if the changes are backported int RHEL.

*packaging bug*
the link shows that upstream is named all lowercase for mysql, so the rpm
should also.

And the other bug is in yum-priorities. It is not protecting base against
certain dependencies being pulled that obsolete base packages. The plugin
should reject non-base packages that replace base packages much like it
protects from updating base packages with non-base packages.

Someone interested to become famous by looking into and fixing this ?

Old 11-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Dag Wieers wrote on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 15:23:56 +0100 (CET):

> The reason we have a perl-DBD-mysql is because that is the upstream name
> and the naming convention dictates to use the upstream name. That is the
> only reliable way for not having RPM clashes.

But was it necessary to obsolete perl-DBD-MySQL? The older versions (up to
4.007) obviously didn't and there was no priorities problem until then
(with 4.008). There was another package (I don't recall the name, python
stuff?) that had the same problems recently. I agree that check_obsoletes
should have been in the yum config in the first place, but on first glance
and from my point of view as just being a user and not a packager the
obsoletion seems to have been unnecessary.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany