Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Tru Huynh

Default OT: windiag ( how can I stress a server?)

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 09:52:15AM +0100, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
> > Hi all,

> > So, apart from memtest86 how else can I stress test the server to find
> > out what the problem is?
> >

> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>
> (Yeah, it's MSFT - but I heard good things about it - memtest is not
> everything....)
>
> I'm not sure if 8 GB and non-ECC (and non-buffered!) actually works that
> well....
worse:
Appendix

System requirement
Windows Memory Diagnostic is limited to testing only the first 4 gigabytes (GB)
of RAM. If you have more than 4 GB of RAM, the remaining RAM after the first 4
GB will not be tested by Windows Memory Diagnostic.

Thanks for the pointer anyway.

Tru

Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Tru Huynh <tru@centos.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 09:52:15AM +0100, Rainer Duffner wrote:
>> Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
>> > Hi all,

>> > So, apart from memtest86 how else can I stress test the server to find
>> > out what the problem is?
>> >

>> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>>
>> (Yeah, it's MSFT - but I heard good things about it - memtest is not
>> everything....)
>>
>> I'm not sure if 8 GB and non-ECC (and non-buffered!) actually works that
>> well....
> worse:
> Appendix
>
> System requirement
> Windows Memory Diagnostic is limited to testing only the first 4 gigabytes (GB)
> of RAM. If you have more than 4 GB of RAM, the remaining RAM after the first 4
> GB will not be tested by Windows Memory Diagnostic.
>
> Thanks for the pointer anyway.
>
> Tru
> --

I don't use Windows, so this wouldn't have helped in anycase

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Rainer Duffner

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:

> I don't use Windows, so this wouldn't have helped in anycase

It's a boot CD...

Rainer

Old 11-18-2008, 08:43 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de> wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
>>
>> I don't use Windows, so this wouldn't have helped in anycase
>>

> It's a boot CD...
>

> Rainer

Oh, my bad. I saw the microsoft.com URL

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Tru Huynh

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:19:51AM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> I don't use Windows, so this wouldn't have helped in anycase

It's a diag floppy/cdrom, you don't need windows... except to expand it to the
media.

Read at least the url!

Rudi, you have a strange attitude:
- you ask for help for hardware issue
- that is nearly off topic here
- there not much people can help you with but giving advices
- most of these advices, you choose to ignore (fine with me)

if your hardware fails, replace it, bug your vendor
there is nothing more to say.

Tru

Old 11-18-2008, 08:55 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Tru Huynh <tru@centos.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:19:51AM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>
>> I don't use Windows, so this wouldn't have helped in anycase
>
> It's a diag floppy/cdrom, you don't need windows... except to expand it to the
> media.
>
> Read at least the url!
>
> Rudi, you have a strange attitude:
> - you ask for help for hardware issue
> - that is nearly off topic here
> - there not much people can help you with but giving advices
> - most of these advices, you choose to ignore (fine with me)
>
> if your hardware fails, replace it, bug your vendor
> there is nothing more to say.
>
> Tru
> --
> Tru Huynh (mirrors, CentOS-3 i386/x86_64 Package Maintenance)
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xBEFA581B

Tru,

The hardware works, but the moment I start running server based
application (i.e. XEN VPS's), then the load goes very high. I'm
running CentOS Linux on it, and was thinking this would be a great
place to get help, but I can see that I'm wrong, since the hardware
that I chose to use (and can afford in my country) is clearly not the
right choice of hardware to use.

And although you're right in saying that a hardware problem is
off-topic, I need a way to prove to the suppliers that it is in fact a
problem with the hardware. Since everything works fine when you switch
it on, yet when I start-up the XEN virtual machines, the load goed
exsesively high. I have reinstalled the OS, but since I use yum to
update to the latest version of everything, it could very well be a OS
/ kernel / software bug as well. I don't know, and I was hoping to get
some insight on it from this list.

My other choice is to go and purchase Windows & install it, to see
what happens. Then, if the same problem persists I can say it's
hardware, if not, then it's software related.

Sorry for sounding so rude in my earlier posts, I just spend 3 days
without sleep @ the datacentre trying to sort this out, and I need to
tell my clients why the machine performs so poorly compared to the
previous one which only has a Core 2 Dou CPU with 4GB RAM in it. See
my problem?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Tru Huynh <tru@centos.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:19:51AM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't use Windows, so this wouldn't have helped in anycase
>>
>> It's a diag floppy/cdrom, you don't need windows... except to expand it to the
>> media.
>>
>> Read at least the url!
>>
>> Rudi, you have a strange attitude:
>> - you ask for help for hardware issue
>> - that is nearly off topic here
>> - there not much people can help you with but giving advices
>> - most of these advices, you choose to ignore (fine with me)
>>
>> if your hardware fails, replace it, bug your vendor
>> there is nothing more to say.
>>
>> Tru
>> --
>> Tru Huynh (mirrors, CentOS-3 i386/x86_64 Package Maintenance)
>> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xBEFA581B

> Tru,
>
> The hardware works, but the moment I start running server based
> application (i.e. XEN VPS's), then the load goes very high. I'm
> running CentOS Linux on it, and was thinking this would be a great
> place to get help, but I can see that I'm wrong, since the hardware
> that I chose to use (and can afford in my country) is clearly not the
> right choice of hardware to use.
>
> And although you're right in saying that a hardware problem is
> off-topic, I need a way to prove to the suppliers that it is in fact a
> problem with the hardware. Since everything works fine when you switch
> it on, yet when I start-up the XEN virtual machines, the load goed
> exsesively high. I have reinstalled the OS, but since I use yum to
> update to the latest version of everything, it could very well be a OS
> / kernel / software bug as well. I don't know, and I was hoping to get
> some insight on it from this list.
>
> My other choice is to go and purchase Windows & install it, to see
> what happens. Then, if the same problem persists I can say it's
> hardware, if not, then it's software related.
>

> Sorry for sounding so rude in my earlier posts, I just spend 3 days
> without sleep @ the datacentre trying to sort this out, and I need to
> tell my clients why the machine performs so poorly compared to the
> previous one which only has a Core 2 Dou CPU with 4GB RAM in it. See
> my problem?
>

> --
>
> Kind Regards
> Rudi Ahlers

Oh, and don't take this the wrong way, but the link to a microsoft
related program (in my opinion) is even more OT. Isn't there something
similar for Linux that I can use? I'd prefer not to go the Windows
route, if that's ok with you.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 11-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Rainer Duffner

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:

> Oh, and don't take this the wrong way, but the link to a microsoft
> related program (in my opinion) is even more OT. Isn't there something
> similar for Linux that I can use? I'd prefer not to go the Windows
> route, if that's ok with you.

SPEC 2006

;-)))

Rainer

Old 11-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Tru Huynh

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:55:58AM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Tru,
>
> The hardware works, but the moment I start running server based
> application (i.e. XEN VPS's), then the load goes very high.

install sysstat and read the collected data with sar(1).
Check for your IOwait. You don't provide any valuable data,
only partial information of what you think is wrong...

> And although you're right in saying that a hardware problem is
> off-topic, I need a way to prove to the suppliers that it is in fact a
> problem with the hardware. Since everything works fine when you switch
> it on, yet when I start-up the XEN virtual machines, the load goed
> exsesively high.
give figures, logs, information on your xen vm setups
(file disk based, lvm , ....) what os on the xen domU.

You force people to ask you question in order to try to help you,
that's not the way it should be if you want peoplet to be interested
in helping you...
/rant finished.

> My other choice is to go and purchase Windows & install it, to see
> what happens. Then, if the same problem persists I can say it's
> hardware, if not, then it's software related.
try another linux distribution with xen support, or BSD's
Even if it's software/driver (CentOS-5) related, that will not help
you much beforei/until it is fixed upstream...

> Sorry for sounding so rude in my earlier posts, I just spend 3 days
> without sleep @ the datacentre trying to sort this out, and I need to
> tell my clients why the machine performs so poorly compared to the
> previous one which only has a Core 2 Dou CPU with 4GB RAM in it. See
> my problem?
sure, take a quick break while audit/sysstat collect data

Tru

Old 11-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Ross Walker

On Nov 18, 2008, at 5:11 AM, Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
wrote:

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:

Oh, and don't take this the wrong way, but the link to a microsoft
related program (in my opinion) is even more OT. Isn't there
something

similar for Linux that I can use? I'd prefer not to go the Windows
route, if that's ok with you.

SPEC 2006

;-)))

Or the LTP (Linux Test Project).