Old 11-18-2008, 06:13 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

Default how can I stress a server?

Hi all,

I have a server, with an Intel DG35EC motherboard, Q9300 CPU, 8GB
Kingston DDRII RAM which can't take a lot of load. I have 4 XEN VPS's
on there, which doesn't consume more than 4GBM RAM at this stage. Yet,
the machine sky rockets at some times. I've moved the XEN VPS's to
another server, with 4GM RAM, and it doesn't cause the same problems.

So, apart from memtest86 how else can I stress test the server to find
out what the problem is?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 11-18-2008, 06:19 AM
John R Pierce

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all,

I have a server, with an Intel DG35EC motherboard, Q9300 CPU, 8GB
Kingston DDRII RAM which can't take a lot of load. I have 4 XEN VPS's
on there, which doesn't consume more than 4GBM RAM at this stage. Yet,
the machine sky rockets at some times. I've moved the XEN VPS's to
another server, with 4GM RAM, and it doesn't cause the same problems.

So, apart from memtest86 how else can I stress test the server to find
out what the problem is?

4 instances of mprime (www.mersenne.org), running the torture test, each
set to affinity on a different CPU.

and, next time get a real server board with ECC.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:27 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:19 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a server, with an Intel DG35EC motherboard, Q9300 CPU, 8GB
>> Kingston DDRII RAM which can't take a lot of load. I have 4 XEN VPS's
>> on there, which doesn't consume more than 4GBM RAM at this stage. Yet,
>> the machine sky rockets at some times. I've moved the XEN VPS's to
>> another server, with 4GM RAM, and it doesn't cause the same problems.
>>
>> So, apart from memtest86 how else can I stress test the server to find
>> out what the problem is?
>>

> 4 instances of mprime (www.mersenne.org), running the torture test, each set
> to affinity on a different CPU.
>
> and, next time get a real server board with ECC.

Next time I won't ask, don't worry

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 11-18-2008, 06:36 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:19 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a server, with an Intel DG35EC motherboard, Q9300 CPU, 8GB
>>> Kingston DDRII RAM which can't take a lot of load. I have 4 XEN VPS's
>>> on there, which doesn't consume more than 4GBM RAM at this stage. Yet,
>>> the machine sky rockets at some times. I've moved the XEN VPS's to
>>> another server, with 4GM RAM, and it doesn't cause the same problems.
>>>
>>> So, apart from memtest86 how else can I stress test the server to find
>>> out what the problem is?
>>>

>> 4 instances of mprime (www.mersenne.org), running the torture test, each set
>> to affinity on a different CPU.
>>
>> and, next time get a real server board with ECC.

John, just cause the machines we use to serve web content to our
clients doesn't use the grade of equipment you prefer to use, and can
afford, doesn't mean equipment that other people use is inferior, or
worthless.

I have a problem with one of my machines, and have narrowed down that
it could either be the CPU, RAM or motherboard, but before I take it
back to the suppliers, I need to know what is wrong. They will switch
it on, and see that it works. But it's not taking the load that I
expect it could. In fact, it's not taking the same load as a machine
with a Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo & 4GB RAM. This server should be 2 - 4
times faster & handle 2 - 4 times the load of the E6750, yet it
doesn't and I need to know why. I don't appreciate being told that the
hardware I have if inferior.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 11-18-2008, 07:24 AM
John R Pierce

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

John, just cause the machines we use to serve web content to our
clients doesn't use the grade of equipment you prefer to use, and can
afford, doesn't mean equipment that other people use is inferior, or
worthless.

ECC memory would have caught any memory errors, (including memory
timing), and give a diagnostic and we wouldn't be having this
conversation, this system would be in production, and you'd be working
on the next customers job.

oh yeah, those 'server' motherboards generally use registered/buffered
memory, which can handle higher memory fanouts and support a full load
of memory banks robustly.

I meant to suggest the other night, go into the Intel BIOS, find the
memory settings area, and set it to custom timings, and add a clock to
each of the timings, like if its 4-4-4-12, try 5-5-5-15 (or whatever the
have all slots full, this increseas the capacitive load on the address
and data bus, and makes marginal timing more marginal.