Old 11-17-2008, 01:38 AM
"Rilawich Ango"

Default Gigabit Lan doesn't work

Hi all,

I have installed Centos completely. However, the LAN doesn't work.
Below is the message after I issue. How can I make it work?

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567V-2 Gigabit
Network Connection

Thanks!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:54 AM
Barry Brimer

I have installed Centos completely. However, the LAN doesn't work.
Below is the message after I issue. How can I make it work?

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567V-2 Gigabit
Network Connection

What does "ethtool eth0" tell you?

Old 11-17-2008, 02:07 AM
"Rilawich Ango"

Actually, I have 2 LAN cards. eth0 is working as it is 10/100. There
is a build-in gigalan which doesn't work. I have to remove the 10/100
and make build-in lan works.

[root@localhost ~]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 32
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
Link detected: yes
[root@localhost ~]# ethtool eth1
Settings for eth1:
Cannot get device settings: No such device
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: No such device
Cannot get message level: No such device
Cannot get link status: No such device
No data available

Old 11-17-2008, 02:35 AM
Barry Brimer

[...]

What does "ethtool eth0" tell you when the 10/100 card is not installed?
What does "lsmod" look like with the 10/100 card in and out? What does
"dmesg | grep eth" give you with the 10/100 card in and out?

Old 11-17-2008, 02:43 AM
"Rob Townley"

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Rilawich Ango <maillisting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have installed Centos completely. However, the LAN doesn't work.
> Below is the message after I issue. How can I make it work?
>
> 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567V-2 Gigabit
> Network Connection
>
> Thanks!

Were you running a 2.6.27 pre-release kernel? Everyone should read
this as there about 12 NICs that could be rendered useless especially
in a chipset integrated NIC.

"If you have an Intel PCI Express add-on card or integrated NIC, avoid
the Ubuntu 8.10 alphas, OpenSUSE 11.1 beta, SUSE Linux Enterprise 11
beta, Fedora Rawhide or for that matter, any distribution that comes
with a 2.6.27 pre-release kernel." So says the following arstechnica
article.
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/96509133/m/638006184931/inc/-1

i am no firmware expert, but i would think if you can find an
identical machine, you should be able to use the following command
from the article to backup good firmware, then use ethtool -E to
restore the good firmware over your bad firmware.
sudo ethtool -e ethX > savemyeep.txt

Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 AM
"Rilawich Ango"

Below is the setting.

[root@localhost ~]# more /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.2 (Final)

[root@localhost ~]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 #1 SMP Wed Nov 12
09:30:27 EST 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Old 11-17-2008, 04:44 AM
"Rob Townley"

You may want to see if the device driver for your device has been
blacklisted in order to protect it.
Look through the various /etc/modprobe.d/ blacklist files to see if it
is listed. I am not an expert, there may be another place to
blacklist or whitelist drivers on your config.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Tru Huynh

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:44:43PM -0600, Rob Townley wrote:
> You may want to see if the device driver for your device has been
> blacklisted in order to protect it.

Please
-1) no top post
-2) trim your replies

This card works:
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82575EB Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)

yours seems to be a little too recent for 5.2, check with your vendor
for a driver. The next 5.3 version (not yet released, and still in beta from
upstream) might have the support for it.

Tru

Old 11-17-2008, 07:07 AM
John R Pierce

Rilawich Ango wrote:

Hi all,

I have installed Centos completely. However, the LAN doesn't work.
Below is the message after I issue. How can I make it work?

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567V-2 Gigabit
Network Connection

this intel driver is for 82567 and others..
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=3003&DwnldID=1581 7&strOSs=39&OSFullName=Linux*&lang=eng

I'd read the readme and release notes. chances are, you'll need to
intsall kernel-devel in order to build this, but not the full kernel
sources as youre just building a driver module.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Rilawich Ango wrote on Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:06:25 +0800:

> Below is the setting.

This is not what was asked for, read again.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany