Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

Default can CentOS act as an iSCSI server?

Hi all,

I would like to know if I could share some space on on of my servers,
to another server(s) using the iSCSI protocal? I can see that CentOS
can connect to an iSCSI server, but can it act as a iSCSI server?

Is so, does anyone have some good HOWTO / tutorials / docs on how to set it up?

I'm running CentOS 5.2

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 11-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to know if I could share some space on on of my servers,
to another server(s) using the iSCSI protocal? I can see that CentOS
can connect to an iSCSI server, but can it act as a iSCSI server?

Is so, does anyone have some good HOWTO / tutorials / docs on how to set it up?

I'm running CentOS 5.2

Yes you can , but actually it's still 'techonology preview' as stated in
the Upstream Release Notes ...
You'll need to install the package scsi-target-utils and configure
everything with the tgtadm command : there is no config file that is
read by the /etc/rc.d/init.d/tgtd initscripts so you have to write a
bash scripts that will be read on startup to do the whole work.
If you have already played with iscsi, using tgtadm is not really
difficult but i admit also that i'm only using it for tests in labs.
Production machines are using FC HBAs ;-)

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>

Old 11-16-2008, 03:04 PM
"Rudi Ahlers"

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Fabian Arrotin
<fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net> wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to know if I could share some space on on of my servers,
>> to another server(s) using the iSCSI protocal? I can see that CentOS
>> can connect to an iSCSI server, but can it act as a iSCSI server?
>>
>> Is so, does anyone have some good HOWTO / tutorials / docs on how to set
>> it up?
>>
>> I'm running CentOS 5.2
>>
> Yes you can , but actually it's still 'techonology preview' as stated in the
> Upstream Release Notes ...
> You'll need to install the package scsi-target-utils and configure
> everything with the tgtadm command : there is no config file that is read by
> the /etc/rc.d/init.d/tgtd initscripts so you have to write a bash scripts
> that will be read on startup to do the whole work.
> If you have already played with iscsi, using tgtadm is not really difficult
> but i admit also that i'm only using it for tests in labs. Production
> machines are using FC HBAs ;-)
> --
> -
> Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>
> "Internet network currently down, TCP/IP packets delivered now by UPS/Fedex
> ..."

Hi Fabian,

Do you have any documentation for me on this? I don't know iSCSI at
all - well I haven't used it before myself, but from what I understand
it's much better than NFS.

What is FC HBA's ?

--

Kind Regards