Old 11-16-2008, 01:43 AM
"Gordon McLellan"

Default Promise EX16650 under 5.2?

Does anyone have experience using the Supertrak EX16650 sas controller
under Centos 5.2?

The Promise website claims RHEL 5.2 support was added Sept '08. I
figure the card might very well be detected, but how about the
management gui - it appears to use some sort of web interface, but the
card has no ethernet jack, so it must rely on some special driver to
access this?

Any information is appreciated. I'm not finding much under google
regarding this card and redhat (or centos), so either it's rather new,
or unpopular, or just doesn't have problems so no one complains?

Thanks,

Gordon.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Karanbir Singh

Gordon McLellan wrote:

Does anyone have experience using the Supertrak EX16650 sas controller
under Centos 5.2?

Do you know what the pci id's are for the device ?

The Promise website claims RHEL 5.2 support was added Sept '08. I
figure the card might very well be detected, but how about the
management gui - it appears to use some sort of web interface, but the
card has no ethernet jack, so it must rely on some special driver to
access this?

most of the time such webui's are run via a proxy app, that you run as
'root' on the machine and then connect to over the net using your web
browser. its a common practice that many h/w vendors use these days.

- KB

Old 11-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Guy Boisvert

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Gordon McLellan wrote:

Does anyone have experience using the Supertrak EX16650 sas controller
under Centos 5.2?

Do you know what the pci id's are for the device ?

The Promise website claims RHEL 5.2 support was added Sept '08. I
figure the card might very well be detected, but how about the
management gui - it appears to use some sort of web interface, but the
card has no ethernet jack, so it must rely on some special driver to
access this?

most of the time such webui's are run via a proxy app, that you run as
'root' on the machine and then connect to over the net using your web
browser. its a common practice that many h/w vendors use these days.

... and we have many problems with that approach which most of the time
uses Java.

I have many servers in production (mostly Winblows boxes, i know it's
bad but it's not my choice!) that have 2-3 of these bad admin apps and
we have many compatibility problems.

For example, i have one server with APC UPS management, AVG Anti-Virus
management server and Promise Management. For Promise, i've never been
able to make work the management interface for the PCI card at the same
time of the external VTRak Raid chassis. To explain a little better, i
have a Promise "RAID" Card (it's fake raid!) and an external VTRAK 15100
15 SATA disks to SCSI RAID Chassis. The worst thing is that the VTRak
has an ethernet port but still requires the crap JAVA application
running on the server (for management, SNMP, etc)...

AVG Anti-Virus Server had Java problems after installing Promise crap
and so on... At least, i found APCUPSD for Win32 and finally, APC UPS
monitoring is stable. For the rest, i can only cross my fingers... And
Promise don't seems to support their hardware very well: Very few
updates since many years.

I dunno if somebody on this list has advises for these Java Apps
problems. Maybe it's just bad coding from these companies. I had some
problems on Linux too but at least, it seems that Sun has open up a bit
support/licensing on Linux.

Regards,

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Karanbir Singh

Guy Boisvert wrote:
... and we have many problems with that approach which most of the time
uses Java.

I've never seen one that did use java, having used the proxy's for
Areca, 3ware, adaptec and MSI.

I have many servers in production (mostly Winblows boxes, i know it's
bad but it's not my choice!) that have 2-3 of these bad admin apps and
we have many compatibility problems.

Get a proper raid card ?

- KB

Old 11-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Guy Boisvert

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Guy Boisvert wrote:
... and we have many problems with that approach which most of the
time uses Java.

I've never seen one that did use java, having used the proxy's for
Areca, 3ware, adaptec and MSI.

I have many servers in production (mostly Winblows boxes, i know it's
bad but it's not my choice!) that have 2-3 of these bad admin apps and
we have many compatibility problems.

Get a proper raid card ?

- KB

I'm totally with you Karanbir!

I mean, i'm a consultant and i have to live with things i didn't chose!

I'd like to change many hardware at my client's offices but sometimes,
the budget is just not there. SMBs are not always up to understand TCO,
ROI, etc. I do my best but sometimes, it's difficult!

The guy was talking about Promise and that was the reason i tried to
warn him about their bad management app and so-so support.

That's it!

Regards,

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:44 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Guy Boisvert <boisvert.guy@videotron.ca> wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Guy Boisvert wrote:
>>> ... and we have many problems with that approach which most of the time
>>> uses Java.
>>
>> I've never seen one that did use java, having used the proxy's for Areca,
>> 3ware, adaptec and MSI.
>>
>>> I have many servers in production (mostly Winblows boxes, i know it's bad
>>> but it's not my choice!) that have 2-3 of these bad admin apps and we have
>>> many compatibility problems.
>>
>> Get a proper raid card ?
>>
>> - KB
>
> I'm totally with you Karanbir!
>
> I mean, i'm a consultant and i have to live with things i didn't chose!
>
> I'd like to change many hardware at my client's offices but sometimes, the
> budget is just not there. SMBs are not always up to understand TCO, ROI,
> etc. I do my best but sometimes, it's difficult!

I believe, as a Consultant, one has a legal and moral obligation, to
give the client the best advice one can. If they do not go that route,
we've tried our best.... I've seen them go both ways.

> The guy was talking about Promise and that was the reason i tried to warn
> him about their bad management app and so-so support.

If my memory hasn't failed, Promise has gotten many bad comments,
over time, in this mailing list. 3Ware is much more respected here,
but again, not positive my memory is working....