-   -   Lost icons and background on 5.2 desktop (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/193934-lost-icons-background-5-2-desktop.html)

Dick Roth 11-15-2008 03:08 PM

Lost icons and background on 5.2 desktop

Somehow I did something that caused my gnome desktop to evaporate. The
only thing that hasn't vanished is the task bar I have set up at the
bottom of the screen.

Which configuration files/directory may have become corrupt or gone?
Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,
Dick

--Benjamin Franklin 1755

"Lanny Marcus" 11-15-2008 07:22 PM

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Dick Roth <raroth7@comcast.net> wrote:
> Somehow I did something that caused my gnome desktop to evaporate. The only
> thing that hasn't vanished is the task bar I have set up at the bottom of
> the screen.
>
> Which configuration files/directory may have become corrupt or gone? Any
> help would be appreciated.

I think I did something like that, years ago, and there was a .gnome
file that I deleted, logged out, and then when I logged in, it created
a new enviornment for GNOME. I just looked at the .gnome folders and
nothing rings a bell. Hopefully, someone else will help you out with
this, soon. The list is slow on the weekends.

Dick Roth 11-15-2008 07:34 PM

Lanny Marcus wrote:

Somehow I did something that caused my gnome desktop to evaporate. The only
thing that hasn't vanished is the task bar I have set up at the bottom of
the screen.

Which configuration files/directory may have become corrupt or gone? Any
help would be appreciated.

I think I did something like that, years ago, and there was a .gnome
file that I deleted, logged out, and then when I logged in, it created
a new enviornment for GNOME. I just looked at the .gnome folders and
nothing rings a bell. Hopefully, someone else will help you out with
this, soon. The list is slow on the weekends.

Thank you for responding, Lanny. I've tried replacing my ~ directory
but got nowhere. I'll hope for other responses.

Dick

--Benjamin Franklin 1755

"Stephen John Smoogen" 11-15-2008 07:40 PM

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Dick Roth <raroth7@comcast.net> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Dick Roth <raroth7@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Somehow I did something that caused my gnome desktop to evaporate. The
>>> only
>>> thing that hasn't vanished is the task bar I have set up at the bottom of
>>> the screen.
>>>
>>> Which configuration files/directory may have become corrupt or gone? Any
>>> help would be appreciated.
>>
>> I think I did something like that, years ago, and there was a .gnome
>> file that I deleted, logged out, and then when I logged in, it created
>> a new enviornment for GNOME. I just looked at the .gnome folders and
>> nothing rings a bell. Hopefully, someone else will help you out with
>> this, soon. The list is slow on the weekends.
>>

> Thank you for responding, Lanny. I've tried replacing my ~ directory but
> got nowhere. I'll hope for other responses.

If you create a new 'user' and they don't have icons or accounts then
something is funny in /usr which is causing stuff to not work. If it
only happens to you then its probably issues with various .files.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

"Lanny Marcus" 11-15-2008 08:40 PM

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Dick Roth <raroth7@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Lanny Marcus wrote:

<snip>
> If you create a new 'user' and they don't have icons or accounts then
> something is funny in /usr which is causing stuff to not work. If it
> only happens to you then its probably issues with various .files.

It was working and then he did something and it stopped working. I
looked again, in the 3 .gnome folders and I don't see anything that
rings a bell. There is some file that he needs to delete, log out and
then log in again and it will create a new enviornment for him. The
mystery is, which file and where is it.

Dick Roth 11-15-2008 09:13 PM

Lanny Marcus wrote:

[...]

Got it!! Apparently I hadn't replaced all the hidden directories in ~.
I tried once more and voila!

Thank you for your help. I'm back in business.

ttfn,
Dick

--Benjamin Franklin 1755

"Lanny Marcus" 11-15-2008 10:23 PM

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Dick Roth <raroth7@comcast.net> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> It was working and then he did something and it stopped working. I
>> looked again, in the 3 .gnome folders and I don't see anything that
>> rings a bell. There is some file that he needs to delete, log out and
>> then log in again and it will create a new enviornment for him. The
>> mystery is, which file and where is it.

> Got it!! Apparently I hadn't replaced all the hidden directories in ~. I
> tried once more and voila!
>
> Thank you for your help. I'm back in business.

Cool! That's great! Once you know the solution, it's easy, but there
are many mysteries.