FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-14-2008, 10:06 PM
"nate"
 
Default kickstart install on SAN with multipath

Using CentOS 5.1, though with a few hours work I could update
to 5.2.. I can install to SAN with a single path no problem
but I'd like to be able to use dm-multipath. From the kickstart
docs it seems this is supported but there is no information
as to what the various options mean

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html

--
multipath (optional)

multipath --name= --device= --rule=
--

I have a multipath.conf which works fine when I install to local
disk, I'm not sure what I should put in the options above, perhaps
something like

multipath --name=mpath0 --device=sda --device=sdb --rule= ???

Done tons of searches and can't find anything. Any idea what
"rule" would map to in multipath.conf ? I've even installed the
anaconda package and grepped through the code and can't find
anything useful.

thanks

nate



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Matthew Kent
 
Default kickstart install on SAN with multipath

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 15:06 -0800, nate wrote:
> Using CentOS 5.1, though with a few hours work I could update
> to 5.2.. I can install to SAN with a single path no problem
> but I'd like to be able to use dm-multipath. From the kickstart
> docs it seems this is supported but there is no information
> as to what the various options mean
>
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html
>
> --
> multipath (optional)
>
> multipath --name= --device= --rule=
> --

Ah! I just ran through this exact scenario a week ago. Turns out in
inspecting the anaconda code I couldn't actually find any support for
that directive, it looks to be more of a placeholder, but I'm no python
wizard.

What is does support though is auto detecting and creating a simple
multipath.conf, good enough configure lvm with during the install.

This setup can be triggered by passing 'mpath' as a kernel parameter
during kickstart.

Only other thing I had to do was add a bit of %post scripting to tweak
multipath.conf and lvm.conf for our particular drive/controller setup.
--
Matthew Kent SA bravenet.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-19-2008, 05:19 PM
"nate"
 
Default kickstart install on SAN with multipath

Matthew Kent wrote:
>
> Ah! I just ran through this exact scenario a week ago. Turns out in
> inspecting the anaconda code I couldn't actually find any support for
> that directive, it looks to be more of a placeholder, but I'm no python
> wizard.
>
> What is does support though is auto detecting and creating a simple
> multipath.conf, good enough configure lvm with during the install.

I played with it for a couple hours and my experience was:

- It created the multipath configuration, though in %pre I had to
run multipath to enable multipathing support
- It could then see the device but would not install to it, after
creating a partition in my experience multipathing has to be
restarted, so the only way I think to get it to work is to come
up with a way to manually partition in %pre and then tell kickstart
to use the pre-existing partitions after restarting multipathing
in %pre. Quite a bit more work than I expected given the few notes
I have seen saying that it should "work". Given my timetable I
decided to give up on this for now and use internal disks, I can
re-visit it again later.

VMWare ESX 3.5 works flawlessly when booting from SAN by contrast!

>
> This setup can be triggered by passing 'mpath' as a kernel parameter
> during kickstart.
>
> Only other thing I had to do was add a bit of %post scripting to tweak
> multipath.conf and lvm.conf for our particular drive/controller setup.


thanks for the info!

nate

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:11 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org