Old 11-13-2008, 05:02 PM
happymaster23

Default Is there in CentOS 5 Compiz?

Hi all,

I have one maybe stupid question - is there in CentOS 5 packages of Compiz Fusion? I am deciding between Fedora and CentOS to install it to my netbook and this is one of most important features that I want.

Thank for replies

Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Michael Schenck

Compiz is pretty resource intensive. As a result it will also use your
power/(unit time) this might not be the best desktop environment for a
netbook. Assuming it will even play well with the netbook's video card.

Good luck,
Michael Schenck

Old 11-13-2008, 06:39 PM
happymaster23

Thank you for reply,

but Compiz can be easily switched off when you are on battery and the GMA950 have enough power to handle it on 1024*600 resolution. This is no problem. I like CentOS because of its stability (and I am using it on servers), but I donīt know how it will appear on desktop. Yes, CentOS is enterprise operating system and Fedora is multimedia minded, but I think that CentOS is better OS with much better HW support (isnīt it?) and this multimedia features can be easily added.

I donīt know which one choose

*

Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 PM
"Michael Schenck"

CentOS is a "more secure" RHEL, I'm not at all sure where you got "better HW support"...*

By the way, you can always add a repository that has Compiz and still use CentOS.

What kind of Netbook are you running?

That being said, I am curious to hear how compiz goes.*

Best Regards,
Michael Schenck

Old 11-13-2008, 06:56 PM

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:48:53 -0500
"Michael Schenck" <limeschenck@gmail.com> wrote:

> CentOS is a "more secure" RHEL, I'm not at all sure where you got
> "better HW support"...

CentOS is identical to RHEL, except for the copyrights, licensing and
logos. The keyword is identical.

Why is it more secure? Why would CentOS have better HW support?

--
Thanks
http://www.911networks.com

Old 11-13-2008, 07:21 PM
"Michael Schenck"

I thought the were default configuration differences between RHEL and CentOS such that in theory it was "more secure" out of the box.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Vandaman

happymaster23 wrote:

> I have one maybe stupid question - is there in CentOS 5
> packages of Compiz
> Fusion? I am deciding between Fedora and CentOS to install
> it to my netbook
> and this is one of most important features that I want.

Make your decision between Fedora and CentOS not on the basis
of Compiz which is described by its developers as "Alpha Software".

I have got both Fedora and CentOS and they can be described as
"different animals". CentOS is a stable server while Fedora is
a fancy smancy desktop. Some of these people asking to upgrade
should really be on the Fedora bandwagon and others complaining
about Fedora being bleeding edge should have a CentOS server.

Best of both?

Regards,
Vandaman.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 1:02 PM, happymaster23 <happymaster23@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have one maybe stupid question - is there in CentOS 5 packages of Compiz
> Fusion? I am deciding between Fedora and CentOS to install it to my netbook
> and this is one of most important features that I want.

Suggest that you download the CentOS Live CD and see if CentOS will
run on your notebook and support all of the hardware. If not, try a
Fedora Live CD. Fedora will probably support more hardware than
CentOS. Make your decision between the 2 distros, if they both work on
your notebook. If not, use the distro that works.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Karanbir Singh

happymaster23 wrote:
I have one maybe stupid question - is there in CentOS 5 packages of
Compiz Fusion? I am deciding between Fedora and CentOS to install it to
my netbook and this is one of most important features that I want.

CentOS-5 ships with Compiz included in the distro, so if you have
hardware that is compatible, it will work out of the box.

I have built CompizFusion on CentOS-5 but its never really been stable
with the Xorg version included in the distro, whereas Beryl ( what
CompizFusion sort of emerged out of ) does work, and it works fine for
me on a bunch of nvidia / intel / ati cards. The last stable version is
the one hosted in the kbsingh-extras-testing repo for C5. More details
on the repo are at http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories