Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Berend Dekens

Default Virtual NICs (aliases like eth0:1) won't come up after reboot

With one problem down I still have another remaining. Since the
installation of our primairy webserver we have had a problem with the
network aliasses.

Our server has 8 IP adresses so we used the tool provided in the GUI to
specify (and name - for our own convinience) eth0 aliasses with the
other 7 adresses. After setting them up, applying them, activating them
and restarting 'networking' (I dare say this is a lot of button pushing
just to enable one NIC) all is well and every program can use its
preferred IP.

However, after a reboot, all aliasses are disabled: they are present in
the configuration but they are not activated. I feared I did something
wrong so I removed all addresses, tried to find more clues in the docs
and now I'm back where I started.

How can I figure out what is wrong? I might add that I am not afraid of
using a console (actually prefer it on linux servers) but I am new to
CentOS so I tried to do everything by using the GUI - which in this case
keeps failing...

Regards,
Berend Dekens

Old 11-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Ralph Angenendt wrote on Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:16:22 +0100:

> If they have "ONBOOT=YES" change that to "ONPARENT=YES". If they have
> neither, add ONPARENT=YES.

FYI: I've been creating NIC aliases with ONBOOT=yes for quite some time
without a problem as I wasn't aware of the ONPARENT directive. I usually
just copy the file and change it accordingly. The trap I usually run into
is that I forget to change DEVICE.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 11-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

or, at the same time while you are waiting for more replies, you could try
starting up with only the first alias and if that succeeds try the next
one and so on ...
If you get less errors than you have aliases it's likely that some of the
files have simply wrong values.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 11-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Berend Dekens

Kai Schaetzl schreef:
or, at the same time while you are waiting for more replies, you could try
starting up with only the first alias and if that succeeds try the next
one and so on ...
I was doing exactly that. And I was trying to figure out how the
networking scripts work and what they do - or don't in my case.

And after 3 hours I remember why I hate automated GUI's: its working...

I removed, renamed, manually modified and did all kinds of things to the
network configuration using both the GUI and the console and after
recreating (for the millionth time) the configuration for each
interface... it worked. On one hand I'm glad it is working on the other
hand I am dissatisfied because I have no clue what caused it and how I
fixed it (usually I run into problems more than once so stuff like this
is a bad omen).

On a side note, the network configuration tool keeps forgetting the
alias number I gave to the NIC - each time I edit a configuration I need
to set the alias number again as its back on 0.

Well at least I've got everything up and running again - thanks everyone
for your help!

Cheers,
Berend

Old 11-14-2008, 01:07 PM
J Potter

I found under CentOS 4 a few years ago that the OS would only bring up
virtual interfaces starting with 0:0 and increasing sequentially -- if
there was a gap, it would stop at that gap point.

I.e.:
Good: eth0, eth0:0, eth0:1, eth0:2...
Bad: eth0, eth0:0, eth0:2 (system would only start 0 and 0:0)
Bad: eth0, eth0:1, eth0:2 (system would only start 0)

This last case looks like yours --in your config, after eth0, you
started with eth0:1.

-Jeff