Old 11-13-2008, 04:46 AM
"Sadaruwan Samaraweera"

Default How to Upgrade GNOME

Hi,

Can any one tell me how to upgrade from the current GNOME version to
a new version with out upgrading my distribution.

--
Sadaruwan Samaraweera

Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Tru Huynh

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:16:14AM +0530, Sadaruwan Samaraweera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can any one tell me how to upgrade from the current GNOME version to
> a new version with out upgrading my distribution.

If you "need" to upgrade gnome, then you don't really need CentOS.
Read more about the purpose of Enterprise linux distributions.

Tru

Old 11-13-2008, 11:00 AM
"Jim Perrin"

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Sadaruwan Samaraweera
<slinuxworld@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can any one tell me how to upgrade from the current GNOME version to
> a new version with out upgrading my distribution.

Short answer: There is no supported way for doing this.

Longer Answer: The unsupported methods require a great deal of
gnome/RHEL/CentOS understanding in how things link together. Another
thing to keep in mind is that with a new version of gnome, several of
the underlying utilities for the gui tools are built against a
specific version. You'll either have to have 2 sets installed (which
can cause issues) or you'll have to rebuild most of the gui tools to
link to the new gnome libs., at which point you're basically not on
CentOS anymore.

George Orwell

Old 11-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Sadaruwan Samaraweera wrote:

Hi,

Can any one tell me how to upgrade from the current GNOME version to
a new version with out upgrading my distribution.

Read the archives. You DON'T want to do this....

Old 11-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Vandaman

Sadaruwan Samaraweera wrote:

> Can any one tell me how to upgrade from the current GNOME
> version to
> a new version with out upgrading my distribution.

Hmm, a quick search reveals this was posted last month in the
CentOS list by a certain Sadaruwan Samaraweera. Do you know him?

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-October/065922.html

Regards,
Vandaman.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:25 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Sadaruwan Samaraweera
<slinuxworld@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can any one tell me how to upgrade from the current GNOME version to
> a new version with out upgrading my distribution.

If you want the latest and greatest, you don't want to use an
Enterprise Distro. Consider moving to Fedora or Ubuntu or something
else. If you break CentOS, it is yours to fix.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:12 PM
MHR

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Sadaruwan Samaraweera
<slinuxworld@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can any one tell me how to upgrade from the current GNOME version to
> a new version with out upgrading my distribution.

Short answer: you can't.

Right answer: Don't.

Long answer: Google is your friend (but CentOS won't be).

Would you like to try again next month?

mhr