Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Rsyncing UPdate repo yoyoing

It has been crazy this past week how a rsync on the update repo keeps
downloading a number of openoffice.org rpms then deleting them. And the
repodata directory seems to be messed up so that I have problems on some
systems doing updates with it. My rsync script is:

#!/bin/sh
rsync -auv rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.2/updates/i386/
--delete --exclude=debug/ /repos/centos/5.2/updates/i386

Oh, and today we have announcement of some Centos 5 updates, but nothing
available yet.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM
MHR

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
> It has been crazy this past week how a rsync on the update repo keeps
> downloading a number of openoffice.org rpms then deleting them. And the
> repodata directory seems to be messed up so that I have problems on some
> systems doing updates with it. My rsync script is:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> rsync -auv rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.2/updates/i386/
> --delete --exclude=debug/ /repos/centos/5.2/updates/i386
>
> Oh, and today we have announcement of some Centos 5 updates, but nothing
> available yet.

Interesting - I updated my home machine last night and my work machine
this morning. What update are you not seeing?

(WOC: I usually do _not_ see the updates in the announce list until a
day or two after they've already appeared in the update popup, so you
have me a little confused here....)

HTH

mhr

Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Jeff

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
> It has been crazy this past week how a rsync on the update repo keeps
> downloading a number of openoffice.org rpms then deleting them. And the
> repodata directory seems to be messed up so that I have problems on some
> systems doing updates with it. My rsync script is:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> rsync -auv rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.2/updates/i386/
> --delete --exclude=debug/ /repos/centos/5.2/updates/i386
>
> Oh, and today we have announcement of some Centos 5 updates, but nothing
> available yet.

Perhaps the issue is only with your chosen mirror. I'm not well
educated on how to read the centos mirror status page, but
mirrors.kernel.org does appear to have a potentially questionable
status of late.

http://mirror-status.centos.org/

--
Jeff

Old 11-12-2008, 10:33 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Jeff <jlar310@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
>> It has been crazy this past week how a rsync on the update repo keeps
>> downloading a number of openoffice.org rpms then deleting them. And the
>> repodata directory seems to be messed up so that I have problems on some
>> systems doing updates with it.
>
> Perhaps the issue is only with your chosen mirror. I'm not well
> educated on how to read the centos mirror status page, but
> mirrors.kernel.org does appear to have a potentially questionable
> status of late.
>
> http://mirror-status.centos.org/
>
> --
> Jeff

Thanks for the note. My local yum repository points to
mirrors.kernel.org and I was seeing the same problem as what the OP
was reporting. One client CentOS-5 machine was getting errors when
yum update was run.

Akemi

Old 11-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Tru Huynh

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 03:33:53PM -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> Thanks for the note. My local yum repository points to
> mirrors.kernel.org and I was seeing the same problem as what the OP
> was reporting. One client CentOS-5 machine was getting errors when
> yum update was run.

One of the centos.org was out of sync and caused the issue reported.
It is now fixed (5h ago) on centos.org and the Tier1 mirror will soon catch up.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Tru

Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Tru Huynh wrote:

Thanks for the note. My local yum repository points to
mirrors.kernel.org and I was seeing the same problem as what the OP
was reporting. One client CentOS-5 machine was getting errors when
yum update was run.

One of the centos.org was out of sync and caused the issue reported.
It is now fixed (5h ago) on centos.org and the Tier1 mirror will soon catch up.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

My local repo is ok now, and I have successfully updated a couple machines.

I think i downloaded the whole openoffice.org updates half a dozen
times. Down they would come (>200Mb worth), then they would get
deleted, then downloaded again. Seems stable now....