Old 11-11-2008, 05:05 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

Default linux rescue - complete list of utilities and commands?

On this URL:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-rescuemode-boot.html
there is a description of "linux rescue" which includes the following:

From the prompt, you can run many useful commands, such as:

ssh, scp, and ping if the network is started

dump and restore for users with tape drives

parted and fdisk for managing partitions

rpm for installing or upgrading software

joe for editing configuration files

Question: Is there a complete list somewhere, of which System
Utilities and Commands are available, if one boots into "linux
rescue"?

TIA!

Old 11-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Phil Schaffner

Lanny Marcus wrote:

On this URL:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-rescuemode-boot.html
there is a description of "linux rescue" which includes the following:

From the prompt, you can run many useful commands, such as:

ssh, scp, and ping if the network is started

dump and restore for users with tape drives

parted and fdisk for managing partitions

rpm for installing or upgrading software

joe for editing configuration files

Question: Is there a complete list somewhere, of which System
Utilities and Commands are available, if one boots into "linux
rescue"?

If rescue mode manages to mount your installed system on /mnt/sysimage
it automatically adds elements to the path including
/mnt/sysimage/bin:/mnt/sysimage/usr/bin:/mnt/sysimage/usr/sbin:/mnt/sysimage/sbin:/mnt/sysimage/usr/X11R6/bin,
so it depends on what you have installed.

Typing <Tab><Tab> at the command prompt after skipping the mounting or
removing the /mnt/sysimage elements of the PATH variable (e.g.
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin) shows 438 available commands for the
5.2 DVD booted in rescue mode. Won't try to include them all here.

Phil

Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Phil Schaffner
<Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov> wrote:
>> Question: Is there a complete list somewhere, of which System
>> Utilities and Commands are available, if one boots into "linux
>> rescue"?
>
> If rescue mode manages to mount your installed system on /mnt/sysimage it
> automatically adds elements to the path including
> /mnt/sysimage/bin:/mnt/sysimage/usr/bin:/mnt/sysimage/usr/sbin:/mnt/sysimage/sbin:/mnt/sysimage/usr/X11R6/bin,
> so it depends on what you have installed.
>
> Typing <Tab><Tab> at the command prompt after skipping the mounting or
> removing the /mnt/sysimage elements of the PATH variable (e.g.
> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin) shows 438 available commands for the 5.2
> DVD booted in rescue mode. Won't try to include them all here.

Phil: Thank you for that information! I will boot "linux rescue" and
look at the list. 438 is a huge number, compared to the few mentioned
by upstream, in the documentation. Lanny

Old 11-13-2008, 04:14 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Phil Schaffner
<Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
<snip>
>> Question: Is there a complete list somewhere, of which System
>> Utilities and Commands are available, if one boots into "linux
>> rescue"?
>
> If rescue mode manages to mount your installed system on /mnt/sysimage it
> automatically adds elements to the path including
> /mnt/sysimage/bin:/mnt/sysimage/usr/bin:/mnt/sysimage/usr/sbin:/mnt/sysimage/sbin:/mnt/sysimage/usr/X11R6/bin,
> so it depends on what you have installed.
>
> Typing <Tab><Tab> at the command prompt after skipping the mounting or
> removing the /mnt/sysimage elements of the PATH variable (e.g.
> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin) shows 438 available commands for the 5.2
> DVD booted in rescue mode. Won't try to include them all here.

Thanks Phil. 421 on this box. Nice to know!

Old 11-14-2008, 01:35 PM
"Eduardo Grosclaude"

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Phil Schaffner

<Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov> wrote:

> Lanny Marcus wrote:

<snip>

>> Question: Is there a complete list somewhere, of which System

>> Utilities and Commands are available, if one boots into "linux

>> rescue"?

> If rescue mode manages to mount your installed system on /mnt/sysimage it

> automatically adds elements to the path including

> /mnt/sysimage/bin:/mnt/sysimage/usr/bin:/mnt/sysimage/usr/sbin:/mnt/sysimage/sbin:/mnt/sysimage/usr/X11R6/bin,

> so it depends on what you have installed.

> Typing <Tab><Tab> at the command prompt after skipping the mounting or

> removing the /mnt/sysimage elements of the PATH variable (e.g.

> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin) shows 438 available commands for the 5.2

> DVD booted in rescue mode. *Won't try to include them all here.

Thanks Phil. 421 on this box. Nice to know!

All of the LVM commands are hidden into "lvm" command shell, too.
--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue