Old 11-11-2008, 05:13 PM
"Marko Vojinovic"

Default xmms-flac missing dependency

I just tried to install the flac plugin for xmms, and failed. Google does
not help. How to fix this? (btw, this is CentOS 5.2, fully updated)

[root@sith ~]# yum install xmms-flac
* epel: scientificlinux.physik.uni-muenchen.de
* adobe-linux-i386: linuxdownload.adobe.com
* kbs-CentOS-Extras: centos.karan.org
* kbs-CentOS-Misc: centos.karan.org
* rpmforge: ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de
* base: mirror.nsc.liu.se
* updates: mirror.nsc.liu.se
* centosplus: centosh.centos.org
* addons: mirror.nsc.liu.se
* extras: mirror.nsc.liu.se
1562 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package xmms-flac.i386 0:1.2.1-1.el5.rf set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libFLAC.so.8 for package: xmms-flac
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libFLAC.so.8 is needed by package xmms-flac

[root@sith ~]# yum repolist
repo id repo name status
addons CentOS-5 - Addons enabled
adobe-linux-i386 Adobe Systems Incorporated enabled
base CentOS-5 - Base enabled
centosplus CentOS-5 - Plus enabled
epel Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - enabled
extras CentOS-5 - Extras enabled
kbs-CentOS-Extras CentOS.Karan.Org-EL5 - Stable enabled
kbs-CentOS-Misc CentOS.Karan.Org-EL5 - Stable enabled
rpmforge Red Hat Enterprise 5 - RPMforge.net - da enabled
updates CentOS-5 - Updates enabled

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Johnny Hughes

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> I just tried to install the flac plugin for xmms, and failed. Google does
> not help. How to fix this? (btw, this is CentOS 5.2, fully updated)
>
> [root@sith ~]# yum install xmms-flac
> * epel: scientificlinux.physik.uni-muenchen.de
> * adobe-linux-i386: linuxdownload.adobe.com
> * kbs-CentOS-Extras: centos.karan.org
> * kbs-CentOS-Misc: centos.karan.org
> * rpmforge: ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de
> * base: mirror.nsc.liu.se
> * updates: mirror.nsc.liu.se
> * centosplus: centosh.centos.org
> * addons: mirror.nsc.liu.se
> * extras: mirror.nsc.liu.se
> 1562 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package xmms-flac.i386 0:1.2.1-1.el5.rf set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: libFLAC.so.8 for package: xmms-flac
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: libFLAC.so.8 is needed by package xmms-flac
>
> [root@sith ~]# yum repolist
> repo id repo name status
> addons CentOS-5 - Addons enabled
> adobe-linux-i386 Adobe Systems Incorporated enabled
> base CentOS-5 - Base enabled
> centosplus CentOS-5 - Plus enabled
> epel Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - enabled
> extras CentOS-5 - Extras enabled
> kbs-CentOS-Extras CentOS.Karan.Org-EL5 - Stable enabled
> kbs-CentOS-Misc CentOS.Karan.Org-EL5 - Stable enabled
> rpmforge Red Hat Enterprise 5 - RPMforge.net - da enabled
> updates CentOS-5 - Updates enabled
>
> Best, :-)
> Marko

This is either a problem in the RPMFORGE repo ... OR ... a problem with
your yum-priorities settings blocking an rpm from RPMFORGE that you need.

You will need to determine which it is.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:07 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>This is either a problem in the RPMFORGE repo ... OR ... a problem with your yum-priorities settings blocking an rpm from RPMFORGE that you need.

Yeah, looks like rpmforge has an issue atm:

# yum --disableplugin=priorities whatprovides */libFLAC.so.8
* rpmforge: apt.sw.be
* base: centos.arcticnetwork.ca
* updates: centos.arcticnetwork.ca
* addons: centos.arcticnetwork.ca
* extras: centos.arcticnetwork.ca
No Matches found

But flac-devel provides libFLAC.so, so maybe you need a newer one than Base provides?
Looks like Axel Thim resolved this a while ago for ATRPMS if your need is immediate:
http://lists.atrpms.net/pipermail/atrpms-users/2007-June/007433.html

jlc

Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> I just tried to install the flac plugin for xmms, and failed. Google does
>> not help. How to fix this? (btw, this is CentOS 5.2, fully updated)
<snip>
> This is either a problem in the RPMFORGE repo ... OR ... a problem with
> your yum-priorities settings blocking an rpm from RPMFORGE that you need.
> You will need to determine which it is.

I tried to yum install it, hours ago, after I read Marko's post. I
got the same error. If I assume, I assume it's a glitch at rpmforge.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Karanbir Singh

Lanny Marcus wrote:

I tried to yum install it, hours ago, after I read Marko's post. I
got the same error. If I assume, I assume it's a glitch at rpmforge.

So you better let them know real quick so they can fix it real quick!

- KB

Old 11-12-2008, 04:06 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> I tried to yum install it, hours ago, after I read Marko's post. I
>> got the same error. If I assume, I assume it's a glitch at rpmforge.
>
> So you better let them know real quick so they can fix it real quick!

OK... You're right! I'll try again to install what failed for him
and if it doesn't fly, I'll post to their list.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:13 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> I tried to yum install it, hours ago, after I read Marko's post. I
>> got the same error. If I assume, I assume it's a glitch at rpmforge.
>
> So you better let them know real quick so they can fix it real quick!

I just tried it, again, and it still fails. I'll post to the RPMforge
users mailing list now.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:24 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> I tried to yum install it, hours ago, after I read Marko's post. I
>> got the same error. If I assume, I assume it's a glitch at rpmforge.
>
> So you better let them know real quick so they can fix it real quick!

I tried. I sent an email to users@lists.rpmforge.net but apparently
one must be a member of that list, to send messages to the list.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Karanbir Singh

Lanny Marcus wrote:

I tried. I sent an email to users@lists.rpmforge.net but apparently
one must be a member of that list, to send messages to the list.

much like any other list. including this one.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:12 PM
MHR

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>>> I tried to yum install it, hours ago, after I read Marko's post. I
>>> got the same error. If I assume, I assume it's a glitch at rpmforge.
>>
>> So you better let them know real quick so they can fix it real quick!
>
> I tried. I sent an email to users@lists.rpmforge.net but apparently
> one must be a member of that list, to send messages to the list.

Quelle surprise!

You were, perhaps, expecting a different response? :-)

mhr