Old 11-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Ned Slider

Default Kernel compilation problems

Test wrote:

Alan,

The method you describe is the "standard" way of compiling a kernel, but
for Centos the method seems to vary...

http://webui.sourcelabs.com/centos/mail/user/threads/Run_a_more_recent_kernel_than_2.6.18_on_CentOS%253 F.meta
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_centos
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

The guide on the Wiki is maintained and is thoroughly tested (and
ammended as necessary) for each new kernel release so I would strongly
suggest you stick with that method. If you have any issues following
that methodology I'm sure Akemi and Alan, the maintainers of that page,
will be happy to assist you. Akemi is active on this list and I'm sure
will respond in due course.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:46 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:56 AM, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Test wrote:
>>
>> Alan,
>>
>> The method you describe is the "standard" way of compiling a kernel, but
>> for Centos the method seems to vary...

>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel
>
> The guide on the Wiki is maintained and is thoroughly tested (and ammended
> as necessary) for each new kernel release so I would strongly suggest you
> stick with that method. If you have any issues following that methodology
> I'm sure Akemi and Alan, the maintainers of that page, will be happy to
> assist you. Akemi is active on this list and I'm sure will respond in due
> course.

Thanks, Ned, for waking me up by calling out my name loudly :-D

As Ned said correctly, you (OP) are doing it right by following the
CentOS way. The "standard" way is strongly discouraged when building
the CentOS kernel.

The problem I see is that your patch does not apply verbatim on the
CentOS kernel. Take a look at the .rej file and find where it is
failing. Line numbers are apparently not matching.

Akemi