Old 11-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Test

Default Kernel compilation problems

All,

I am trying to build a custom kernel, following the howto and some stuff
i found on the forums (mkspec.patch)

1. the mkspec.patch gives an error:

[root@centos linux]# patch -p1 < mkspec.patch
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file scripts/package/mkspec
Hunk #1 succeeded at 103 with fuzz 2 (offset 22 lines).
Hunk #2 FAILED at 115.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file scripts/package/mkspec.rej

2. When i create an rpm out of the standard configfile (/boot/config....)
the RPM file created is about 100mb which to me seems a bit large...?

--
Test <test@remedial-teacher.nl>

Old 11-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Alan M Goodman

Test wrote:

All,

I am trying to build a custom kernel, following the howto and some stuff
i found on the forums (mkspec.patch)

1. the mkspec.patch gives an error:

[root@centos linux]# patch -p1 < mkspec.patch
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file scripts/package/mkspec
Hunk #1 succeeded at 103 with fuzz 2 (offset 22 lines).
Hunk #2 FAILED at 115.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file scripts/package/mkspec.rej

2. When i create an rpm out of the standard configfile (/boot/config....)
the RPM file created is about 100mb which to me seems a bit large...?

Personally I have always compiled my kernels a different way.

Grab the sources from www.kernel.org.

# tar -jxf kernel-2.6.20.tar.bz2
Decompress them.
# make menuconfig
<change your settings appropriately, often the only thing I change is
the CPU type>

(if this doesnt run properly try yum install ncurses-devel)
Exit out of make menuconfig

# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install
# make install

If you have a dual core machine run each make command after menuconfig
with -j2, replacing the number 2 with the amount of cores you have.
This will run multiple compile jobs at once to save time.

Usually works ok for me - tho I never need to distribute my kernels so
your milage may vary.

My first post to the list.

Alan

Old 11-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Test

Alan,

The method you describe is the "standard" way of compiling a kernel, but
for Centos the method seems to vary...

http://webui.sourcelabs.com/centos/mail/user/threads/Run_a_more_recent_kernel_than_2.6.18_on_CentOS%253 F.meta
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_centos
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel