Old 11-11-2008, 04:11 AM
"Amos Shapira"

Default Setting up eth0 with address 0.0.0.0

Hello,

I'm following instructions in
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-DR.html#route_on_non_ip_interface
to allow my xen guest real hosts to serve virtual IP's behind LVS
without having to allocate real public IP addresses for each such xen
guest.

I have eth1 connected via a "back-end" switch to the eth1/xenbr1 of
the xen host and the other physical servers, this is the interface
that is used by LVS to switch packets over to the real servers.

I managed to manually do:

# ip route add to <default-router> dev eth0
# ip route add via <default-router>

and before that, in order to allow outgoing packets to be sent via eth0, I did:
# ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up

and it works great, but when I try to configure this permanently via
ifcfg-eth0 it says:

Bringing up interface eth0: connect: Invalid argument
[ OK ]

Things seem to work OK - the server can serve over the Virtual IP,
eth0 doesn't have an IP associated with it etc. But I'm worried about
this message.

Some relevant config files:
ifcfg-eth0:

To setup the routes, I followed
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Deployment_Guide/s1-networkscripts-static-routes.html
and http://www.mail-archive.com/centos@centos.org/msg15253.html and
put the following in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth0:
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
IPADDR=0.0.0.0
NETMASK=0.0.0.0

route-eth0:
to <router-address> dev eth0
via <router-address>

output of "ifconfig eth0":
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:3E:19:E6:97
inet6 addr: fe80::216:3eff:fe19:e697/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:174268 (170.1 KiB) TX bytes:47731 (46.6 KiB)

So - did I do this correctly and what should I do to fix the error message?

Thanks,

--Amos

Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 AM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 00:11, Amos Shapira <amos.shapira@gmail.com> wrote:
> and it works great, but when I try to configure this permanently via
> ifcfg-eth0 it says:
> Bringing up interface eth0: connect: Invalid argument
> [ OK ]
>
> ifcfg-eth0:
> DEVICE=eth0
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> IPADDR=0.0.0.0
> NETMASK=0.0.0.0

Try this in ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
IPADDR=

Yes, that's an empty IPADDR variable, that is how you should configure
it if you want the interface up but without an IP address. You should
also omit the netmask since it does not make any sense.

By the way, the error you have "connect: Invalid argument" is because
ifup-eth uses arping to broadcast the new IP address to the local
network, but as the interface really has no IP arping will not be able
to send this information and will give you this error. Setting an
empty IPADDR variable makes ifup-eth realise that although the
interface is up, it should have no IP address.

HTH,
Filipe

Old 11-14-2008, 02:26 AM
"Amos Shapira"

2008/11/11 Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden@gmail.com>:
> Try this in ifcfg-eth0:
>
> DEVICE=eth0
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> IPADDR=
>
> Yes, that's an empty IPADDR variable, that is how you should configure

Hi Filipe,

It worked on the test server but on other servers were we tried it, it
turned out that they require IPADDR=0.0.0.0 to make it work.

I'm not sure what causes the difference yet (they are all up to date
CentOS 5.2) but just wanted to thank you for the tip, it allowed us to
close this issue for now.

Cheers,

--Amos