FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-11-2008, 12:03 AM
"Lanny Marcus"
 
Default Reinstalled Windows and GRUB - Cannot boot Linux - SOLVED

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:32 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> Question: Is /hda3 mounted properly? I don't think so, because when I
>> try to boot Linux from the Grub menu on the HD, it gives me "Error 17:
>> Cannot mount selected partition"

> Someone just answered earlier in this thread that you need to change
> your hd(0,2) to hd(0,1) on the grub boot line. That should work. You
> don't need to do this from any special rescue boot, just boot the
> system, and when the grub stage 2 boot selection shows with its
> countdown, stop it (with the space bar) and use the grub shell to edit
> that line and it _should_ boot properly.

Mark (MHR) and the earlier responder who previously mentioned to
change to "root (hd0,1)" in the GRUB boot menu. A_SPECIAL_THANK_YOU!
That got me into CentOS5.2.... :-) I did notice an error message,
when the box was booting, "mounting local filesystems failed" but I
think that has to do with mounting the NTFS partition, which I will
fix in /etc/fstab after I send this message.

> If WCTW, instead of downloading the CentOS 5 DVD, just pull down the
> first CD image and burn that. It's a lot shorter than the whole DVD,
> and it's all you need to get into rescue mode.

OK. I will download the first CD, but not tonight, since my CentOS 5
Installation DVD is now toast. I ran into this problem, Saturday
afternoon, and the list is very slow on weekends and then our ADSL
went down, because there was a bad card in the phone company Router or
some other HW in our subdivision. To everyone who replied, THANK YOU!
Lanny
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 AM
"Lanny Marcus"
 
Default Reinstalled Windows and GRUB - Cannot boot Linux - SOLVED

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:32 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> Question: Is /hda3 mounted properly? I don't think so, because when I
>> try to boot Linux from the Grub menu on the HD, it gives me "Error 17:
>> Cannot mount selected partition"
>
> When I had this error, it meant that grub could not find the boot
> partition itself. (The boot PROM did, but grub doesn't see the disks
> the same way and can get lost.)
>
> Someone just answered earlier in this thread that you need to change
> your hd(0,2) to hd(0,1) on the grub boot line. That should work. You
> don't need to do this from any special rescue boot, just boot the
> system, and when the grub stage 2 boot selection shows with its
> countdown, stop it (with the space bar) and use the grub shell to edit
> that line and it _should_ boot properly.
>
> If WCTW, instead of downloading the CentOS 5 DVD, just pull down the
> first CD image and burn that. It's a lot shorter than the whole DVD,
> and it's all you need to get into rescue mode.

All is well now! :-) I corrected the line in /etc/fstab and I can
see the NTFS partition. As I expected, changing the line in the GRUB
boot menu, as the box was booting, did not survive a reboot. I edited
the lines for the 3 Linux Kernels, in /boot/grub/grub.conf and that
fixed that problem.... I knew I had to edit those files, and what MHR
(Mark) explained to me tonight, and apparently a poster prior to him,
made it *much* easier. I would like to learn how to do things with the
Live CD, but as it turns out, I did not need that for this problem and
it just added to my frustration. Thanks again, to everyone!
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-11-2008, 09:14 AM
partha chowdhury
 
Default Reinstalled Windows and GRUB - Cannot boot Linux - SOLVED

glad to know the problem was solved. it was my first post on the ML that
actually helped someone !

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 AM
"Lanny Marcus"
 
Default Reinstalled Windows and GRUB - Cannot boot Linux - SOLVED

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 5:14 AM, partha chowdhury <kira.laucas@gmail.com> wrote:
> glad to know the problem was solved. it was my first post on the ML that
> actually helped someone !

I will reread that thread later. I have helped a few people also and
it makes me happy, when I can do that, and not just ask for help from
the list. Thank you!
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-11-2008, 03:53 PM
MHR
 
Default Reinstalled Windows and GRUB - Cannot boot Linux - SOLVED

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 2:14 AM, partha chowdhury <kira.laucas@gmail.com> wrote:
> glad to know the problem was solved. it was my first post on the ML that
> actually helped someone !

That somehow seems to make it all the more worthwhile. It's great
getting answers to questions I post, but giving them when I know them
is way better.

mhr
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-11-2008, 04:09 PM
"Lanny Marcus"
 
Default Reinstalled Windows and GRUB - Cannot boot Linux - SOLVED

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:53 AM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 2:14 AM, partha chowdhury <kira.laucas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> glad to know the problem was solved. it was my first post on the ML that
>> actually helped someone !
>
> That somehow seems to make it all the more worthwhile. It's great
> getting answers to questions I post, but giving them when I know them
> is way better.

That's for sure Mark. Better to give than to receive. You cleared up
the cobwebs for me, last night. The actual solution was quick and
easy. :-)
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org