Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 PM
"Brent L. Bates"

Default Running From Live DVD & Keeping Settings Between Boots

Someone posted how to use a memory card (USB or another kind) to save
settings between boots of a Live CD/DVD. I believe it was posted not too long
ago and I thought I had kept the email, but now that I'm looking for the
information, I can not find it. I've done some searching and I either get way
too many hits or way too few, none of which are what I'm looking for. Does
anyone remember that post and can forward that message to me? Thanks.

--

Brent L. Bates (UNIX Sys. Admin.)
M.S. 912 Phone757) 865-1400, x204

Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Brent L. Bates <blbates@vigyan.com> wrote:
> Someone posted how to use a memory card (USB or another kind) to save
> settings between boots of a Live CD/DVD. I believe it was posted not too long
> ago and I thought I had kept the email, but now that I'm looking for the
> information, I can not find it. I've done some searching and I either get way
> too many hits or way too few, none of which are what I'm looking for. Does
> anyone remember that post and can forward that message to me? Thanks.

I'm running on my CentOS 5.2 Live CD and I just looked at all the
GNOME menus. If that's something one can do from the menu, it's not
intuitively obvious. If you find out how to do this, please post back
to the ML.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Phil Schaffner

Brent L. Bates wrote:

Someone posted how to use a memory card (USB or another kind) to save
settings between boots of a Live CD/DVD. I believe it was posted not too long
ago and I thought I had kept the email, but now that I'm looking for the
information, I can not find it. I've done some searching and I either get way
too many hits or way too few, none of which are what I'm looking for. Does
anyone remember that post and can forward that message to me? Thanks.

Unless I'm missing something, you must be remembering another distro.
Had some discussions on this during 5.2 live CD testing with Patrice
Guay who builds the CentOS live CDs. Knoppix has a feature to save to
USB, and Fedora 9 uses "persistence" to save changes from their live CD,
but as of 5.2 CentOS livecd does not implement it.

Phil

Old 11-10-2008, 09:45 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Phil Schaffner
<Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Brent L. Bates wrote:
>>
>> Someone posted how to use a memory card (USB or another kind) to save
>> settings between boots of a Live CD/DVD. I believe it was posted not too
>> long
>> ago and I thought I had kept the email, but now that I'm looking for the
>> information, I can not find it. I've done some searching and I either get
>> way
>> too many hits or way too few, none of which are what I'm looking for.
>> Does
>> anyone remember that post and can forward that message to me? Thanks.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, you must be remembering another distro. Had
> some discussions on this during 5.2 live CD testing with Patrice Guay who
> builds the CentOS live CDs. Knoppix has a feature to save to USB, and
> Fedora 9 uses "persistence" to save changes from their live CD, but as of
> 5.2 CentOS livecd does not implement it.

Yet another option is to use Scientific Linux LiveCD/DVD:

http://linux.web.psi.ch/livecd/save.html

Being a "sister" product of CentOS, SL might be a viable option for
CentOS users.

Akemi

Old 11-12-2008, 11:41 AM
"Brent L. Bates"

I remember someone saying one had to include some options on the boot
command line for this to work. Nothing was automated for this to work. It
took a little bit of work and that is why I saved the email or at least meant
to save it. I was almost positive it was the CentOS list that I saw the
post(s). I know it wasn't Fedora, because I don't read any groups for that.
It wasn't Knoppix. It was definitely a LiveCD/DVD.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:50 AM
"Brent L. Bates"

Scientific Linux is one of the groups I read, in addition to CentOS, and
that is why I couldn't find the email in the CentOS group. Also instead of
saving the email, I saved the link to the information, only one of hundreds
saved. I didn't think to look in my SL list of links, only CentOS. Sorry for
the confusion everyone. Akemi, thanks for the pointer/reminder.