Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Kevin Kempter

Default Linux backup help

Hi All;

I'm awaiting a new linux laptop that will be my primary work machine. I want
to implement a strategy that allows me as easily as possible to revert back
to a former state. My primary concern is a scenario where I apply system
updates and it breaks something that for me is critical.

I wonder if a simple rsync script would work. If so, here's what I'm thinking:

1) updates are available so I execute the rsync script which pulls any updated
files from my laptop to a backup server/drive

2) apply updates

3) if something breaks (even if I can no longer login) I boot the laptop, run
the rsync script in the opposite direction (push files from the backup drive
to the laptop)

I assume that if I were to execute step 3 above that my system would be in the
exact state that it was before I ran the updates. Is this a correct
assumption ? Are there better approaches ?

Thanks in advance..