Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Stephen Harris

Default HA Storage

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 08:59:24PM +0530, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> on this matter, Sunfire x4150 a 1U machine with 2xcpu sockets, "eight"
> drive bays, 64 GB expandability, 4 NIC packs quite a punch for its
> size.

Sunfire X4540; 4U, dual quad core AMD Opteron, 48 (count them!) hotswap
SATA drives (so can scale to 48TByte of space in 4U), etc etc.

When Sun came out with the X4500 I immediately said "NAS server". Then
Sun came out with ZFS and I said "Really, NAS server". Now I note that
the X4540 is marketed as "Simply the best selling storage server". Heh.

ZFS is really nice. If VMware was supported on Solaris 86 then I
would have built my own home server with Solaris rather than CentOS.
(Although I'm not using VMware on that machine, at present; merely
UserModeLinux for my protected instances). But CentOS is handling my
5*1Tbyte RAID5 OK for now :-)

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 11-09-2008, 03:30 PM
"nate"

Stephen Harris wrote:

> ZFS is really nice. If VMware was supported on Solaris 86 then I
> would have built my own home server with Solaris rather than CentOS.
> (Although I'm not using VMware on that machine, at present; merely
> UserModeLinux for my protected instances). But CentOS is handling my
> 5*1Tbyte RAID5 OK for now :-)

You know the inverse is true right? Solaris is supported on
VMWare ESX(i). Though SATA disks are not officially supported
by the VMFS file system in 3.x.

ESXi is as free as VMware server.

nate

Old 11-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Stephen Harris

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 08:30:42AM -0800, nate wrote:
> Stephen Harris wrote:
>
> > ZFS is really nice. If VMware was supported on Solaris 86 then I
> > would have built my own home server with Solaris rather than CentOS.
> > (Although I'm not using VMware on that machine, at present; merely
> > UserModeLinux for my protected instances). But CentOS is handling my
> > 5*1Tbyte RAID5 OK for now :-)
>
> You know the inverse is true right? Solaris is supported on
> VMWare ESX(i). Though SATA disks are not officially supported
> by the VMFS file system in 3.x.

I wanted Solaris as the Host OS so it could natively manage my disks
via ZFS. Making it a guest would be pointless. Underneath that I would
run a couple of smaller Linux instances (eg for internet facing services),
maybe a Windows instance and so on.

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 11-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Les Mikesell

Stephen Harris wrote:

ZFS is really nice. If VMware was supported on Solaris 86 then I
would have built my own home server with Solaris rather than CentOS.
(Although I'm not using VMware on that machine, at present; merely
UserModeLinux for my protected instances). But CentOS is handling my
5*1Tbyte RAID5 OK for now :-)

You know the inverse is true right? Solaris is supported on
VMWare ESX(i). Though SATA disks are not officially supported
by the VMFS file system in 3.x.

I wanted Solaris as the Host OS so it could natively manage my disks
via ZFS. Making it a guest would be pointless. Underneath that I would
run a couple of smaller Linux instances (eg for internet facing services),
maybe a Windows instance and so on.

Have you looked at virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/)?
I haven't tried it myself but it looks like a match for vmware and can be
hosted on solaris.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Ross Walker

ZFS is really nice. If VMware was supported on Solaris 86 then I
would have built my own home server with Solaris rather than CentOS.
(Although I'm not using VMware on that machine, at present; merely
UserModeLinux for my protected instances). But CentOS is handling
my

5*1Tbyte RAID5 OK for now :-)

You know the inverse is true right? Solaris is supported on
VMWare ESX(i). Though SATA disks are not officially supported
by the VMFS file system in 3.x.

I wanted Solaris as the Host OS so it could natively manage my disks
via ZFS. Making it a guest would be pointless. Underneath that I
would
run a couple of smaller Linux instances (eg for internet facing
services),

maybe a Windows instance and so on.

You know you may not find VMware server for Solaris, but there is always
Xen or VirtualBox.

-Ross

Old 11-09-2008, 07:54 PM
John R Pierce

Ross Walker wrote:

You know you may not find VMware server for Solaris, but there is always
Xen or VirtualBox.

and xVM Server which is Sun's version of Xen, with a Solaris domU and
ZFS storage management. Last I looked, Sun is on the verge of
releasing a paravirtualization driver package for MS Windows, too, which
would make Windows in a VM perform very well (this is roughly equivalent
to VMware Tools).

xVM Server is available now as part of SXCE and OpenSolaris now, and
will be integrated into a future version of Solaris.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:49 AM
Stephen Harris

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 02:44:16PM -0500, Ross Walker wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Stephen Harris wrote:
> >I wanted Solaris as the Host OS so it could natively manage my disks
> >via ZFS. Making it a guest would be pointless. Underneath that I
> >would

> You know you may not find VMware server for Solaris, but there is always
> Xen or VirtualBox.

When I was looking at this, Xen wasn't anywhere near stable enough for
my liking (I did look into it, but the Xen kernel failed to boot on my
test box whereas the non-Xen kernel booted fine) and VirtualBox wasn't
suitable (this was before Sun took it over).

Things have changed, but I don't want to rebuild now. If I ever get
a new (better, stronger, faster) machine then I'll look into it again,
but then maybe ZFS on Linux will be a strong contender by that point :-)

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 AM
Les Mikesell

Stephen Harris wrote:

Things have changed, but I don't want to rebuild now. If I ever get
a new (better, stronger, faster) machine then I'll look into it again,
but then maybe ZFS on Linux will be a strong contender by that point :-)

Yeah - that'll come right after Hell freezes over.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com