Old 11-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Vandaman

Default Hiding Files in Samba

I may need a strong shot of coffee but I though
putting "hide files = /~*/" as follows in the
samba config file would hide files with a tilde.

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes
hide files = /~*/

Unfortunately after restarting the server the files
are still visible.

Regards,
Vandaman.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Miguel Medalha

I may need a strong shot of coffee but I though
putting "hide files = /~*/" as follows in the
samba config file would hide files with a tilde.

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes
hide files = /~*/

Unfortunately after restarting the server the files
are still visible.

If you have Windows Explorer set to show hidden files, they will appear
in a dim color.

Quoting from the book "Using Samba" at
http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch05_02.html

Instead of simply hiding files beginning with a dot, you can also
specify a string pattern to Samba for files to hide, using the |hide|
|files| option. For example, let's assume that we specified the
following in our example |[data]| share:

[data]
hide files = /*.java/*README*/

"If we want to prevent users from seeing files at all, we can instead
use the |veto| |files| option. This option, which takes the same syntax
as the |hide| |files| option, specifies a list of files that should
never be seen by the user. For example, let's change the |[data]| share
to the following:

[data]
veto files = /*.java/*README*/

Old 11-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Vandaman

Miguel Medalha wrote:

> Vandaman wrote
> > I may need a strong shot of coffee but I though
> > putting "hide files = /~*/" as follows in
> the samba config file would hide files with a tilde.
> >
> > [homes]
> > comment = Home Directories
> > browseable = no
> > writable = yes
> > hide files = /~*/
> >

> > Unfortunately after restarting the server the files
> > are still visible.
> >
> If you have Windows Explorer set to show hidden files, they
> will appear in a dim color.

Actually hide works exactly as intended. I needed some coffee
and after some sleep. Revisiting the issue, it now works.

Regards,
Vandaman.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:20 PM
"John"

I may need a strong shot of coffee but I though
putting "hide files = /~*/" as follows in the
samba config file would hide files with a tilde.
Vandaman Wrote:
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes
hide files = /~*/

# Try this !
# for the heck of of it "hides files = /.jpg*/"
# Could be the tilde Character

Unfortunately after restarting the server the files
are still visible.

JohnStanley Writes:
Where is the folder at your using samba to share? Is this share on Windows?
If so I don't think it will ever work. However it will work on Samba 3 and >
under CentOS

Old 11-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 08 November 2008 20:28:23 Vandaman wrote:
> I may need a strong shot of coffee but I though
> putting "hide files = /~*/" as follows in the
> samba config file would hide files with a tilde.

You mean files starting with a tilde?

Anne

Old 11-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Vandaman

John wrote:

> Where is the folder at your using samba to share? Is this
> share on Windows?
> If so I don't think it will ever work. However it will
> work on Samba 3 and >
> under CentOS

It does work. I'm using XP and acccessing accessing the home dir
on a CentOS box.

> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> browseable = no
> writable = yes
> hide files = /~*/

Regards,
Vandaman.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Vandaman

Anne Wilson wrote:

> Vandaman wrote:
> > I may need a strong shot of coffee but I though
> > putting "hide files = /~*/" as follows in
> the
> > samba config file would hide files with a tilde.
> >
> You mean files starting with a tilde?

I expanded the selection to hide all files with a tilde.
I will also setup a music share and hide .ini and .jpg
files which are hidden on windows but would be displayed
on the Samba share.

Regards,
Vandaman.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 AM
"John"

Vandaman Wrote:
> hide files = /~*/

johnStanley Write:

Did not think of the hide files option untill someone mentioned it earlier.

So to be correct you are using samba to share out Win Shares right?