Old 11-08-2008, 07:10 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

Default Reinstalled Windows and GRUB - Cannot boot Linux - fstab and grub.conf errors?

Background: This is a dual boot (Windows XP and CentOS 5.2 (32 bit)
box. There were four (4) NTFS partitions. The C partition got full. I
deleted the 4 NTFS partitions and did a clean install of Windows XP,
into one (1) NTFS partition.
I knew that I would need to install GRUB again and I did that, using
the CentOS 5 Installation DVD. When I tried to boot into Linux, no
joy. this is the GRUB error I got:

Booting 'CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.17.el5)'
root (hd0,2)
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x8e
Kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
Press any key to continue

(same error, trying to boot the 2 older Linux Kernels)

The CentOS 5 Installation DVD apparently is now damaged (Murphy's
Law). I have available to me:
(a) CentOS 5.2 i386 Live CD (I am running on that, as I write this email)
(b) Knoppix Live Disk, V.5.1.1
(c) SystemRescueCD V.0.2.15

The partitions on my hard drive, as shown by QTParted on the Knoppix
Live CD are now:

01 /dev/hda1 ntfs Active
02 /dev/hda2 ext3 (/boot)
03 /dev/hda3 unknown (CentOS LVM)

My belief is that /hda3 is not mounted. If I click on the "Local Hard
Drives" Icon under "disc" it only shows hda2 (the Linux /boot
partition). How and where do I fix that?

When I view /etc/fstab as centos user with the CentOS 5.2 Live CD, I
see that the line I had to mount the NTFS data partition (E: when I
had 4 NTFS partitions) showed it as /dev/hda6
Now, the only NTFS partition, C, is /dev/hda1. Viewing it as
centos user, in gedit, it is read only. When I try to view it as root,
it shows me a /etc/fstab file that apparently is created by
the LiveCD and doesn't show the Windows partition. How do I edit the
/etc/fstab file so I can change it from /hda6 to /hda1? Here's the
file contents:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/win ntfs-3g rw,umask=0000,defaults 0 0

TIA! Lanny

Old 11-09-2008, 01:06 PM
partha chowdhury

Lanny Marcus wrote:

Booting 'CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.17.el5)'
root (hd0,2)
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x8e
Kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
Press any key to continue

01 /dev/hda1 ntfs Active
02 /dev/hda2 ext3 (/boot)
03 /dev/hda3 unknown (CentOS LVM)

AFAIK,in centos or fedora a boot partition cannot reside in an LVM
volume.a boot partition must be a regular ext2 or ext3 file system.

or are you trying to boot from from wrong partition ? /dev/hda2 is
labled as boot and is an ext3 filesystem. so i am inclined to believe
that is the partition where the vmlinuz and initrd file resides. you
need to change the line "root (hd0,2)" to "root (hd0,1)" during booting.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:14 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 9:06 AM, partha chowdhury <kira.laucas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
<snip>
>> 01 /dev/hda1 ntfs Active
>> 02 /dev/hda2 ext3 (/boot)
>> 03 /dev/hda3 unknown (CentOS LVM)
>
> AFAIK,in centos or fedora a boot partition cannot reside in an LVM volume.a
> boot partition must be a regular ext2 or ext3 file system.

Yes. There's a separate ext3 partition, /boot, with 102 MB, that's
/dev/hda2 and it isn't in an LVM.

Problem now, as I just replied to Vandaman, is that my CentOS 5
Installation DVD got damaged, after I reinstalled GRUB and before I
could modify two configuration files. I have several Live CDs, but
don't know how to get real "root" privileges with them.

Sorry for delay in my reply. Our ADSL was down.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Phil Schaffner

Lanny Marcus wrote:
[snip]

I have several Live CDs, but
don't know how to get real "root" privileges with them.

Often "su -" in a terminal window is all that's required to get root for
a live CD.

Phil

Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Phil Schaffner
<Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> I have several Live CDs, but
>> don't know how to get real "root" privileges with them.
>
> Often "su -" in a terminal window is all that's required to get root for a
> live CD.

Phil: I think I tried that, Saturday afternoon, but I will try it
again, after my daughter gets home. As I recall, that did not get me
into the true "root" environment, but into root for the Live CD. I
will try it again, with each of the 3 Live CD's, and report back to
the list. When I tried to edit one of the configuration files I need
to edit, it was a different configuration file, provided by the Live
CD. Thanks! Lanny

Old 11-10-2008, 07:58 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Phil Schaffner
<Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> I have several Live CDs, but
>> don't know how to get real "root" privileges with them.
>
> Often "su -" in a terminal window is all that's required to get root for a
> live CD.>

Phil: I'm running on my CentOS 5.2 Live CD, in the belief that one is
better able to help me than the Knoppix or SystemRescue Live CDs (the
SystemRescue CD is very old).

On the GNOME Desktop, there's an Icon for "Local Hard Drives". If I
double click on that, it shows hda2 which is the /boot ext3 partition
(102 MB)

There is also an Icon for "Local Logical Volumes". If I double click
on that, it shows VolGroup00-LogVol00 and everything is there, in the
LVM. :-)

Here's the result of the "mount" command

[centos@localhost ~]$ mount
/dev/mapper/livecd-rw on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
/dev/hdc on /mnt/live type iso9660 (ro)
/dev/hda2 on /mnt/disc/hda2 type ext3 (ro)
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on /mnt/lvm/VolGroup00-LogVol00 type ext3 (ro)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
[centos@localhost ~]$

Question: Is /hda3 mounted properly? I don't think so, because when I
try to boot Linux from the Grub menu on the HD, it gives me "Error 17:
Cannot mount selected partition"

Here's the contents of fstab (which I'm looking at Read Only)

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/win ntfs-3g rw,umask=0000,defaults 0 0

What I need to modify in fstab is the last line. I need to change it
from /dev/hda6 to /dev/hda1 so I can read/write NTFS files from
CentOS.

If I can get to the 2 configuration files (fstab and grub.conf) with
true root access, so I can modify them, with Gedit I should be able
to get this box working on Linux again.

Not sure of the proper locations to give for those files, so I can get
to them from a terminal window, after "su -", with gedit.

These are the types of trivial problems which cause newbies
frustration. On the other hand, there have been times, when my wife
and daughter cannot do something on M$ Windows and they can do it on
Linux. :-) This would be easier, I'm sure, if my CentOS 5
Installation DVD hadn't gotten damaged Saturday.

Your time, help and willingness to share your expertise are much
appreciated! Lanny

Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 PM
MHR

> Here's the result of the "mount" command
>
> [centos@localhost ~]$ mount
> /dev/mapper/livecd-rw on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
> /dev/hdc on /mnt/live type iso9660 (ro)
> /dev/hda2 on /mnt/disc/hda2 type ext3 (ro)
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on /mnt/lvm/VolGroup00-LogVol00 type ext3 (ro)
> sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
> [centos@localhost ~]$
>
> Question: Is /hda3 mounted properly? I don't think so, because when I
> try to boot Linux from the Grub menu on the HD, it gives me "Error 17:
> Cannot mount selected partition"

When I had this error, it meant that grub could not find the boot
partition itself. (The boot PROM did, but grub doesn't see the disks
the same way and can get lost.)

Someone just answered earlier in this thread that you need to change
your hd(0,2) to hd(0,1) on the grub boot line. That should work. You
don't need to do this from any special rescue boot, just boot the
system, and when the grub stage 2 boot selection shows with its
countdown, stop it (with the space bar) and use the grub shell to edit
that line and it _should_ boot properly.

If WCTW, instead of downloading the CentOS 5 DVD, just pull down the
first CD image and burn that. It's a lot shorter than the whole DVD,
and it's all you need to get into rescue mode.

HTH

mhr