Old 11-08-2008, 09:26 PM
John R Pierce

Default Where is the file that sets aliases?

Anne Wilson wrote:

On Saturday 08 November 2008 20:38:43 William L. Maltby wrote:

/etc/bashrc

But be aware that root-specific ones are here on 5.x

# grep alias .bashrc
# User specific aliases and functions
alias rm='rm -i'
alias cp='cp -i'
alias mv='mv -i'

I'm sorry, but I just can't understand why I can't find these

bash runs...

/etc/profile
/etc/bashrc
and
$HOME/.bash_profile
or
$HOME/.bash_login
or
$HOME/.profile

upon starting a login shell...

the standard supplied profiles by default also run

/etc/profile.d/*.sh
$HOME/.bashrc

and this last runs

/etc/bashrc

I note that the commands you're seeing are aliased explicitly in

/root/.bashrc

[root@freescruz ~]# cat /root/.bashrc
# .bashrc

# User specific aliases and functions

alias rm='rm -i'

alias cp='cp -i'
alias mv='mv -i'

# Source global definitions

if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
. /etc/bashrc
fi

by default in most every RH system I checked, from the above CentOS 5
all the way back to RH Linux 6.2

[root@hogranch /root]# ls -la .bashrc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 176 Aug 23 1995 .bashrc
[root@hogranch /root]# rpm -qf .bashrc
rootfiles-5.2-5
[root@hogranch /root]# rpm -qi rootfiles
Name : rootfiles Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version : 5.2 Vendor: Red Hat Software
Release : 5 Build Date: Sun Mar 21
20:00:32 1999
Install date: Wed Feb 23 13:13:29 2000 Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group : System Environment/Base Source RPM:
rootfiles-5.2-5.src.rpm

Size : 1912 License: public domain
Packager : Red Hat Software <http://developer.redhat.com/bugzilla/>
Description :
The rootfiles package contains basic required files that are placed
in the root user's account. These files are basically the same
as the files found in the etcskel package, which are placed in regular
users' home directories.

note the date on that .bashrc file, heh. 13 years ago.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 08 November 2008 22:26:51 John R Pierce wrote:
> I note that the commands you're seeing are aliased explicitly in
>
> * * /root/.bashrc

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Anne

Old 11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Anne Wilson wrote on Sun, 9 Nov 2008 09:51:16 +0000:

> > /root/.bashrc
>
> That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

That was already told very early on, but you didn't notice it!

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 10 November 2008 19:31:21 Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote on Sun, 9 Nov 2008 09:51:16 +0000:
> > > /root/.bashrc
> >
> > That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
>
> That was already told very early on, but you didn't notice it!

Looking back, I still can't see it, Kai. I remember being told to look in
~/.bashrc.

Still, the important thing is that I now know where to look.

Anne

Old 11-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Joshua Baker-LePain

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 at 7:42pm, Anne Wilson wrote

Looking back, I still can't see it, Kai. I remember being told to look in
~/.bashrc.

If you're root (why are you logging in as root?), then ~ *is* /root.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin

Old 11-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 10 November 2008 19:45:32 Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 at 7:42pm, Anne Wilson wrote
>
> > Looking back, I still can't see it, Kai. I remember being told to look
> > in ~/.bashrc.
>
> If you're root (why are you logging in as root?), then ~ *is* /root.

I wasn't - that's the whole point. That's why I didn't find it.

Anne

Old 11-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 10 November 2008 19:56:52 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 10 November 2008 19:45:32 Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 at 7:42pm, Anne Wilson wrote
> >
> > > Looking back, I still can't see it, Kai. I remember being told to look
> > > in ~/.bashrc.
> >
> > If you're root (why are you logging in as root?), then ~ *is* /root.
>
> I wasn't - that's the whole point. That's why I didn't find it.

I guess that the OP thought I was when he said that, though

Anne

Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 20:11 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 10 November 2008 19:56:52 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 10 November 2008 19:45:32 Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> > > On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 at 7:42pm, Anne Wilson wrote

> > > If you're root (why are you logging in as root?), then ~ *is* /root.
> >
> > I wasn't - that's the whole point. That's why I didn't find it.
> >
> I guess that the OP thought I was when he said that, though

Helped by circumstances. _Normally_, the default install has those
aliases only assigned for root, due to the great risk to the system.

So it would be a natural assumption. As usual "assume" has its risks.

--
Bill

Old 11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 10 November 2008 20:30:13 William L. Maltby wrote:

> Helped by circumstances. _Normally_, the default install has those
> aliases only assigned for root, due to the great risk to the system.
>
> So it would be a natural assumption. As usual "assume" has its risks.

Well, it might have been painful at the time, dealing with this and with the
damage on the box after the kernel bug at the same time, but I've learned a
good deal, thanks to the patient answers to my questions. Every cloud has a
silver lining :-)

Anne