Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Ted Miller

Default Appliance platform

I have a project that I need some hardware pointers for. I need to build
some Centos "appliances" (dedicated boxes to do one thing only). Target
cost is under $250/box.

Need:
OS: Centos 5
Hardware Cost: less than $250 USD
USB: at least 2 (not including keyboard)
Memory: at least 128K
Storage: prefer flash (USB stick OK)
Network: 10 Base T

Want:
Height: less than 4" (fit on a 3RU shelf)
Width: less than 10" (slide keyboard beside CPU on rack shelf)
Display: 80x25 (or better) LCD on front of case (comes that way or I mount
it there)
Network: 2 x 10 Base T

Application (in case anyone cares): Move better-than-FM quality audio
across a leased audio circuit with delay under 10 seconds. No Internet
exposure. Obviously one box is required at each end, and the encoding box
works much harder than the decoding box. Software to run will probably be
Ices -> Icecast -> network -> mplayer. Will be using USB audio interfaces,
probably something like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Because of the nature
of the application, once it is booted up the only disk activity is
occasional logging when there is a problem with the connection.

Any advice, web links, battle scars, or advice gladly accepted.

Ted Miller
Indiana, USA

Old 11-08-2008, 04:33 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I have a project that I need some hardware pointers for. I need to build
>some Centos "appliances" (dedicated boxes to do one thing only). Target
>cost is under $250/box.

Given the rest of the requirements, I would say something like:
http://www.mini-box.com/M200-LCD-Enclosure

Find a distro more suited to the low power/mem environment like
busybox or something.

jlc

Old 11-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Bobby

On Saturday 08 November 2008 12:27:15 Ted Miller wrote:
> I have a project that I need some hardware pointers for. I need to build
> some Centos "appliances" (dedicated boxes to do one thing only). Target
> cost is under $250/box.
>
> Need:
> OS: Centos 5
> Hardware Cost: less than $250 USD
> USB: at least 2 (not including keyboard)
> Memory: at least 128K
> Storage: prefer flash (USB stick OK)
> Network: 10 Base T

TigerDirect sells refurbished computers starting at $100.

--

Bobby

Old 11-08-2008, 04:50 PM
John R Pierce

Ted Miller wrote:

Application (in case anyone cares): Move better-than-FM quality audio
across a leased audio circuit with delay under 10 seconds. No
Internet exposure. Obviously one box

"leased audio circuit" meaning ISDN ? your $250 target price includes
not only the built in flat panel and audio adapters but also the ISDN
adapter? sounds like you're trying to reinvent the Telos Zephyr.
http://www.telos-systems.com/?/xport/default.htm

have fun!

Old 11-09-2008, 03:34 AM
Ted Miller

John R Pierce wrote:

Ted Miller wrote:

Application (in case anyone cares): Move better-than-FM quality audio
across a leased audio circuit with delay under 10 seconds. No
Internet exposure. Obviously one box

"leased audio circuit" meaning ISDN ?

Typo, a leased data circuit. Working with 256K per audio stream.

your $250 target price includes
not only the built in flat panel and audio adapters but also the ISDN
adapter?

No, $250 price tag includes only the computer, not the audio adapter or the
display.

sounds like you're trying to reinvent the Telos Zephyr.
http://www.telos-systems.com/?/xport/default.htm

Not really. The Zephyr is a short term use unit, what I want will be
installed and operate for years at a time, preferably without any operator
interaction

Ted Miller

Old 11-09-2008, 04:15 AM
Ted Miller

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
I have a project that I need some hardware pointers for. I need to build
some Centos "appliances" (dedicated boxes to do one thing only). Target
cost is under $250/box.

Given the rest of the requirements, I would say something like:
http://www.mini-box.com/M200-LCD-Enclosure

By the time I fully configure the box it is slightly over my target price,
but given the user interaction on the front panel, I think I can live with
that.

Have you used this box, or others from mini-box?

Ted Miller
Indiana, USA

Old 11-09-2008, 11:18 AM
fred smith

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 12:15:05AM -0500, Ted Miller wrote:
> Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >>I have a project that I need some hardware pointers for. I need to build
> >>some Centos "appliances" (dedicated boxes to do one thing only). Target
> >>cost is under $250/box.
> >
> >Given the rest of the requirements, I would say something like:
> >http://www.mini-box.com/M200-LCD-Enclosure
>
> By the time I fully configure the box it is slightly over my target price,
> but given the user interaction on the front panel, I think I can live with
> that.
>
> Have you used this box, or others from mini-box?

How about something like the Asus eeebox?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Les Mikesell

Ted Miller wrote:

Application (in case anyone cares): Move better-than-FM quality audio
across a leased audio circuit with delay under 10 seconds. No Internet
exposure. Obviously one box is required at each end, and the encoding
box works much harder than the decoding box. Software to run will
probably be Ices -> Icecast -> network -> mplayer. Will be using USB
audio interfaces, probably something like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro.
Because of the nature of the application, once it is booted up the only
disk activity is occasional logging when there is a problem with the
connection.

Any advice, web links, battle scars, or advice gladly accepted.

Not quite a match, but maybe worth investigating the hackability: the
$99 Roku box sold initially to stream Netflix but supposed to be getting
other capabilities. Or for just audio, their soundbridge products that
are more expensive but some include speakers. Development specs are
available for the soundbridge along with source for gpl'd code included
with the netflix box. Not sure about development on the netflix box,
though. Might be worth $99 just to take it apart and see what's in there.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Les Mikesell

Or this: perhaps a little too cutesy, but... http://www.chumby.com/

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Ted Miller

fred smith wrote:

I have a project that I need some hardware pointers for. I need to build
some Centos "appliances" (dedicated boxes to do one thing only). Target
cost is under $250/box.

Given the rest of the requirements, I would say something like:
http://www.mini-box.com/M200-LCD-Enclosure
By the time I fully configure the box it is slightly over my target price,
but given the user interaction on the front panel, I think I can live with
that.

Have you used this box, or others from mini-box?

How about something like the Asus eeebox?

Looks like it would work, but for my purposes it looks like the mini-box
units fit better, and at a lower price.

Ted Miller
Indiana, USA