Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 PM
John Thomas

Default How Auto Start Greeter on Ctrl-Alt-F8?

Ctrl-Alt-F7 automatically starts with a gdm greeter. I would like
Ctrl-Alt-F8 to be the same, but I cannot figure it out. Would you offer
some tips?

The purpose is to allow others to simply switch over and log into a
machine without bothering the current X session and/or leaving me logged
in the F8 so X is running and waiting for me.

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas

Old 11-07-2008, 08:52 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 13:30 -0800, John Thomas wrote:
> Ctrl-Alt-F7 automatically starts with a gdm greeter. I would like
> Ctrl-Alt-F8 to be the same, but I cannot figure it out. Would you offer
> some tips?
>
> The purpose is to allow others to simply switch over and log into a
> machine without bothering the current X session and/or leaving me logged
> in the F8 so X is running and waiting for me.

Do you mean you want to have another X session started and waiting for
another login by another user ID?

You want it on boot or just under some circumstances? I have this in my
root user bin and run it when I want. This is on my CentOS 4.7. If you
are on 5.x, it will be a little different.

# cat bin/XAgain
xdm -server ":1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1"

I haven't run it for a _long_ time. If things changed since then, the
above may not be exactly right now.

HTH
--
Bill

BTW, more initial information on your setup might save some time and
additional postings.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:59 PM
John Thomas

William L. Maltby wrote:

Do you mean you want to have another X session started and waiting for
another login by another user ID?

Yes

You want it on boot or just under some circumstances?

boot

> I have this in my

root user bin and run it when I want. This is on my CentOS 4.7. If you
are on 5.x, it will be a little different.
# cat bin/XAgain
xdm -server ":1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1"

I am running 5.x. I will test and if it works put it to run at boot.

I haven't run it for a _long_ time. If things changed since then, the
above may not be exactly right now.

Thank you.

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas

Old 11-07-2008, 09:15 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 13:59 -0800, John Thomas wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> ><snip>

> I am running 5.x. I will test and if it works put it to run at boot.

It won't. Check out /etc/inittab. Near the end is prefdm. That checks
for preferences and starts it up. My 5.x has no xdm on it. I presume
that the /usr/bin/Xorg or /usr/sbin/gdm-binary is what gets started. Do
a ps long form and grep for X and dm for a big clue.

You'll probably need to read the info or man pages for that (if any:
otherwise various local *docs* directories or the Xorg website or google
will be needed) and set up whatever to specify a ":1" server instance.
When you've tested it manually, then probably a good thing might be to
invoke it from rc.local.

Opinions may vary on this. I wish I had kept up on this acould help
more.

> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 11-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Jay Leafey

I had done this a LONG time ago, but the rules changed a bit since then.
It turns out it's VERY easy, but note that this is a fully-updated
CentOS 5 system. The method varies somewhat with v4.

Open the file /etc/gdm/custom.conf with a text editor and go all the way
to the bottom. You should see a section labeled "[servers]". Add the
following lines after the [servers] header:

0=Standard
1=Standard

Save the file, restart X ( telinit 3 ; telinit 5 ) and you should have a
GDM on both VC7 and VC8.

The default (stored in /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf) is to start up only
display 0 and run a greeter, so there is only a "0=Standard" line in the
[servers] section there. Putting these lines in custom.conf overrides
that section of the defaults.conf file. The comments in defaults.conf
are pretty informative, so you might pick up some other tidbits there.

Hope that helps!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey@mindless.com

Old 11-08-2008, 12:05 AM
John Thomas

Jay Leafey wrote:
Open the file /etc/gdm/custom.conf with a text editor and go all the way
to the bottom. You should see a section labeled "[servers]". Add the
following lines after the [servers] header:

0=Standard
1=Standard

Save the file, restart X ( telinit 3 ; telinit 5 ) and you should have a
GDM on both VC7 and VC8.

Works great, thank you!

--
Sincerely,