-   -   correct way to set centos 5 amd64 to performance mode (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/189357-correct-way-set-centos-5-amd64-performance-mode.html)

Jerry Geis 11-07-2008 01:03 PM

correct way to set centos 5 amd64 to performance mode

what is the correct way to set an AMD64 CPU into performance mode at
boot time?

I have tried doing service network cpuspeed start, then killall -SIGUSR1
cpuspeed
and this works but I cant get it working this way at boot. I have set
chkconfig cpuspeed on but that

didnt seem to help.

I just want this particular machine to boot in performance mode and stay
there.

Jerry

Scott Silva 11-07-2008 06:36 PM

correct way to set centos 5 amd64 to performance mode

on 11-7-2008 6:03 AM Jerry Geis spake the following:
> what is the correct way to set an AMD64 CPU into performance mode at
> boot time?
>
> I have tried doing service network cpuspeed start, then killall -SIGUSR1
> cpuspeed
> and this works but I cant get it working this way at boot. I have set
> chkconfig cpuspeed on but that
> didnt seem to help.
>
> I just want this particular machine to boot in performance mode and stay
> there.
>
> Jerry
Can you just turn it off in the bios?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Kay Diederichs 11-08-2008 07:35 AM

Jerry Geis schrieb:
what is the correct way to set an AMD64 CPU into performance mode at
boot time?

I have tried doing service network cpuspeed start, then killall -SIGUSR1
cpuspeed
and this works but I cant get it working this way at boot. I have set
chkconfig cpuspeed on but that

didnt seem to help.

I just want this particular machine to boot in performance mode and stay
there.

Jerry

Performance mode is the default; cpuspeed sets it to ondemand. So you
need to

/sbin/chkconfig cpuspeed off
After a reboot, the CPU(s) will be in performance mode.

HTH,

Kay

Johnny W 11-08-2008 09:02 AM

correct way to set centos 5 amd64 to performance mode

> what is the correct way to set an AMD64 CPU into performance mode at
> boot time?
>
> I have tried doing service network cpuspeed start, then killall -SIGUSR1
> cpuspeed
> and this works but I cant get it working this way at boot. I have set
> chkconfig cpuspeed on but that
> didnt seem to help.
>
> I just want this particular machine to boot in performance mode and stay
> there.
>
> Jerry

Open /etc/sysconfig/cpuspeed and edit the GOVERNOR setting:

GOVERNOR=performance

/Johnny