Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Dave Stevens

Default mapserver experience?

I have Centos 5.2 and want to install mapserver. On my Fedora 7 box it is in
the repo. Should I just enable that repo? Anyone done this? Tips/warnings?

Dave

--
Canada must refuse to be entangled in any more wars fought to make the world
safe for capitalism.

-- The Regina Manifesto, 1933

Old 11-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Scott Silva

on 11-6-2008 3:35 PM Dave Stevens spake the following:
> I have Centos 5.2 and want to install mapserver. On my Fedora 7 box it is in
> the repo. Should I just enable that repo? Anyone done this? Tips/warnings?
>
> Dave

Here is a warning... Don't enable a Fedora 7 repo on CentOS. It is better to
try to rebuild source rpm. If you can find a src rpm for Fedora 6, that would
be better.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 11-07-2008, 07:39 AM
"Laurent Wandrebeck"

2008/11/7 Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com>:
> on 11-6-2008 3:35 PM Dave Stevens spake the following:
>> I have Centos 5.2 and want to install mapserver. On my Fedora 7 box it is in
>> the repo. Should I just enable that repo? Anyone done this? Tips/warnings?
>>
>> Dave
I have some home build (x86_64 from src.rpm) 5.0.2 if you want.
Laurent.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Dave Stevens

On Friday 07 November 2008 12:39:50 am Laurent Wandrebeck wrote:
> 2008/11/7 Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com>:
> > on 11-6-2008 3:35 PM Dave Stevens spake the following:
> >> I have Centos 5.2 and want to install mapserver. On my Fedora 7 box it
> >> is in the repo. Should I just enable that repo? Anyone done this?
> >> Tips/warnings?
> >>
> >> Dave
>
> I have some home build (x86_64 from src.rpm) 5.0.2 if you want.
> Laurent.

thanks, the box is 32 bit cpu.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Dave Stevens

On Friday 07 November 2008 09:29:42 am Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Friday 07 November 2008 12:39:50 am Laurent Wandrebeck wrote:
> > 2008/11/7 Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com>:
> > > on 11-6-2008 3:35 PM Dave Stevens spake the following:

> > I have some home build (x86_64 from src.rpm) 5.0.2 if you want.
> > Laurent.
>
> thanks, the box is 32 bit cpu.
> Dave

I have advice to use this repo:

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/EPEL/5/

but I don't understand how to enable it. Usually I would put it into yum.conf
but it seems yum is reading from yum.conf.d. Do I make a text snippet as a
file or add this to another repo's file or what? Example welcome.

Dave

Old 11-13-2008, 09:09 PM
"Laurent Wandrebeck"

2008/11/13 Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com>:
> On Friday 07 November 2008 09:29:42 am Dave Stevens wrote:

>> > I have some home build (x86_64 from src.rpm) 5.0.2 if you want.
>> > Laurent.
>>
>> thanks, the box is 32 bit cpu.
>> Dave

> I have advice to use this repo:
>
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/EPEL/5/
>
> but I don't understand how to enable it. Usually I would put it into yum.conf
> but it seems yum is reading from yum.conf.d. Do I make a text snippet as a
> file or add this to another repo's file or what? Example welcome.
>
> Dave
you'll find everything you need here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
Laurent

Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 PM
John R Pierce

Dave Stevens wrote:

I have advice to use this repo:

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/EPEL/5/

but I don't understand how to enable it. Usually I would put it into yum.conf
but it seems yum is reading from yum.conf.d. Do I make a text snippet as a
file or add this to another repo's file or what? Example welcome.

rpm -Uvh
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora-epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-3.noarch.rpm

will install the EPEL repo file. (replace /i386/ with your architecture).

WARNING, if you have other repos like rpmforge etc etc, EPEL does NOT
play well with others as they refuse to tag the RPM names and
dependencies with the repo name... I tend to go into the
/etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo file that installed, and change it to
`enabled=0`, then manually enable it when I want to fetch something from it.

you also probably want to play with yum-priorities. I'm a little fuzzy
on the specifics here.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Dave Stevens

On Thursday 13 November 2008 02:09:53 pm Laurent Wandrebeck wrote:
> 2008/11/13 Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com>:

> >> thanks, the box is 32 bit cpu.
> >> Dave

> > I have advice to use this repo:
> >
> > http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/EPEL/5/
> >
> > but I don't understand how to enable it. Usually I would put it into
> > yum.conf but it seems yum is reading from yum.conf.d. Do I make a text
> > snippet as a file or add this to another repo's file or what? Example
> > welcome.
> >
> > Dave
>
> you'll find everything you need here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
> Laurent

yes, lovely, thanks very much! installed and working