Old 11-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Can you recommend some USB headphones

Or phones that work with Centos.

I am making headway on my SIP testing, but I need a a couple (or 3) USB
headphones or phones.

I remember back quite at time ago I had problems with one with volume
control (ie none!).

So I am looking for a cheap USB headphone or 'real' VoIP phone. I am
using SIP Communicator as my client.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Karanbir Singh

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I am making headway on my SIP testing, but I need a a couple (or 3) USB
headphones or phones.

these devices:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 047f:0ca1 Plantronics, Inc. USB DSP v4 Audio
Interface

Work for me, out of the box, on C4 and C5

Old 11-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 14:32 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Or phones that work with Centos.
>
> I am making headway on my SIP testing, but I need a a couple (or 3) USB
> headphones or phones.
>
> I remember back quite at time ago I had problems with one with volume
> control (ie none!).
>
> So I am looking for a cheap USB headphone or 'real' VoIP phone. I am
> using SIP Communicator as my client.

Cheap USB sound cards tend to not have any volume control. The good news
is that you can take the money you save and buy a good 1/8" headset that
does have one.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Robert Moskowitz

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

I am making headway on my SIP testing, but I need a a couple (or 3) USB
headphones or phones.

I remember back quite at time ago I had problems with one with volume
control (ie none!).

So I am looking for a cheap USB headphone or 'real' VoIP phone. I am
using SIP Communicator as my client.

Cheap USB sound cards tend to not have any volume control. The good news
is that you can take the money you save and buy a good 1/8" headset that
does have one.

I have to go with USB headphones. This is for notebooks.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Robert Moskowitz

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

I am making headway on my SIP testing, but I need a a couple (or 3) USB
headphones or phones.

I remember back quite at time ago I had problems with one with volume
control (ie none!).

So I am looking for a cheap USB headphone or 'real' VoIP phone. I am
using SIP Communicator as my client.

Cheap USB sound cards tend to not have any volume control. The good news
is that you can take the money you save and buy a good 1/8" headset that
does have one.

hmmm. Rereading your note. Are you saying there are devices out there
that are jsut USB audio interfaces that you then attach a headset to?
Got to do some more searching....

Old 11-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Karanbir Singh

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Cheap USB sound cards tend to not have any volume control. The good news
is that you can take the money you save and buy a good 1/8" headset that
does have one.

I have to go with USB headphones. This is for notebooks.

The Plantronics headset that I use ( and posted details about ) is
quite portable, light, has active noise cancelling on both input and
output, is usb 1 standard and has volume control for speakers.

Is not the cheapest headset around, and has this semi clunky box
attached about midway between usb plug and headset - but the cord is
long enough to not need to worry about that too much.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Cheap USB sound cards tend to not have any volume control. The good
news
is that you can take the money you save and buy a good 1/8" headset
that

does have one.

I have to go with USB headphones. This is for notebooks.

The Plantronics headset that I use ( and posted details about ) is
quite portable, light, has active noise cancelling on both input and
output, is usb 1 standard and has volume control for speakers.

Is not the cheapest headset around, and has this semi clunky box
attached about midway between usb plug and headset - but the cord is
long enough to not need to worry about that too much.
I have a Plantronics DSP-400 stashed away. I remember when I used it
last (back on Cetnos 4.something), the volume control on the mic did not
work with the xten client. I will haul it out and give it a try....

Old 11-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I am making headway on my SIP testing, but I need a a couple (or 3)
USB headphones or phones.

these devices:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 047f:0ca1 Plantronics, Inc. USB DSP v4 Audio
Interface

Where did you get this info?

I just plugged the DSP-400 in; LED is on on the vol control. No entry
for it in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf that I can see...

Old 11-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Karanbir Singh

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 047f:0ca1 Plantronics, Inc. USB DSP v4 Audio
Interface

Where did you get this info?

I just plugged the DSP-400 in; LED is on on the vol control. No entry
for it in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf that I can see...

its a usb device... lsusb

hwconf is only updated by certain process's

Old 11-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 07:56 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> > Cheap USB sound cards tend to not have any volume control. The good news
> > is that you can take the money you save and buy a good 1/8" headset that
> > does have one.
>
> hmmm. Rereading your note. Are you saying there are devices out there
> that are jsut USB audio interfaces that you then attach a headset to?
> Got to do some more searching....

I picked up this[1] piece of crap for $15. I turned down the volume in
PulseAudio (this sucker is LOUD!), but the same could be done with an
external volume control.

[1] http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1107081001st8.jpg