Old 11-06-2008, 05:51 PM
"Gordon McLellan"

Default HA Storage Cookbook?

Hello List,

Can anyone recommend some sites regarding building high-availability
storage networks using centos (or the upstream providers brand name)?
I need to have approx 2-3 tb of storage available via iscsi and smb,
but worry about having it all on a single server. Most of the HA
articles I'm reading deal with application high availability, but not
storage.

Right now I have a centos 4.6 box serving up a mirrored pair of 1tb
drives via iscsi and smb, but the poor machine comes apart when anyone
tries to write a lot of data. I'm hopefully to have a little budget
to upgrade in Q1 2009. Ideally I'd like to get two boxes with proper
hardware raid and have them in a cluster.

Any suggestions are appreciated,

Gordon

Old 11-06-2008, 06:27 PM
"nate"

Gordon McLellan wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Can anyone recommend some sites regarding building high-availability
> storage networks using centos (or the upstream providers brand name)?
> I need to have approx 2-3 tb of storage available via iscsi and smb,
> but worry about having it all on a single server. Most of the HA
> articles I'm reading deal with application high availability, but not
> storage.

Check out openfiler?

http://www.openfiler.com/products

For me I would just buy a real storage array, better reliability
generally. Though entry level pricing is around $20k.

nate

Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 9:27 PM, nate <centos@linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> Gordon McLellan wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> Can anyone recommend some sites regarding building high-availability
>> storage networks using centos (or the upstream providers brand name)?
>> I need to have approx 2-3 tb of storage available via iscsi and smb,
>> but worry about having it all on a single server. Most of the HA
>> articles I'm reading deal with application high availability, but not
>> storage.
>
> Check out openfiler?
>
> http://www.openfiler.com/products
>
> For me I would just buy a real storage array, better reliability
> generally. Though entry level pricing is around $20k.
>
> nate

Hi Nate,

In some countries those storage arrays are about 3 more expensive, so
it's cheaper to build it yourself with PC / server components. I'm
actually interested in such a setup as well, and would like to cluster
2x machines to give a network RAID setup. What would you recommend
using? The idea is to serve to servers which will be clustered as
well, hosting web hosting Virtual Private Servers.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Rainer Duffner

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 9:27 PM, nate <centos@linuxpowered.net> wrote:
>
>> Gordon McLellan wrote:
>>
>>> Hello List,
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend some sites regarding building high-availability
>>> storage networks using centos (or the upstream providers brand name)?
>>> I need to have approx 2-3 tb of storage available via iscsi and smb,
>>> but worry about having it all on a single server. Most of the HA
>>> articles I'm reading deal with application high availability, but not
>>> storage.
>>>
>> Check out openfiler?
>>
>> http://www.openfiler.com/products
>>
>> For me I would just buy a real storage array, better reliability
>> generally. Though entry level pricing is around $20k.
>>
>> nate

> Hi Nate,
>
> In some countries those storage arrays are about 3 more expensive, so
> it's cheaper to build it yourself with PC / server components. I'm
> actually interested in such a setup as well, and would like to cluster
> 2x machines to give a network RAID setup. What would you recommend
> using? The idea is to serve to servers which will be clustered as
> well, hosting web hosting Virtual Private Servers.

You could use DRBD, if you trust it.
AFAIK, Parallels more-or-less supports this.
http://wiki.openvz.org/HA_cluster_with_DRBD_and_Heartbeat

Rainer

Old 11-07-2008, 12:17 PM
"Andrew Cotter"

>>> Can anyone recommend some sites regarding building high-availability
>>> storage networks using centos (or the upstream providers brand name)?
>>> I need to have approx 2-3 tb of storage available via iscsi and smb,
>>> but worry about having it all on a single server. Most of the HA
>>> articles I'm reading deal with application high availability, but
>>> not storage.
>>>
>> Check out openfiler?
>>
>> http://www.openfiler.com/products
>>
>> For me I would just buy a real storage array, better reliability
>> generally. Though entry level pricing is around $20k.
>>
>> nate

> Hi Nate,
>
> In some countries those storage arrays are about 3 more expensive, so
> it's cheaper to build it yourself with PC / server components. I'm
> actually interested in such a setup as well, and would like to cluster
> 2x machines to give a network RAID setup. What would you recommend
> using? The idea is to serve to servers which will be clustered as
> well, hosting web hosting Virtual Private Servers.

If you are going the route of building your own systems vs. buying a true
filer you may want to look at something like cleversafe.org. It is intended
for globally diverse storage, but I don't see why you couldn't put together
a system in-house. I think the minimum number of systems is 4.

Andrew

Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 PM
"Gordon McLellan"

So the short answers are:

1) centos/redhat possess no built-in means of block-level replication
via GFS / RHCS
2) openfiler provides some manor of block-level replication
3) there's "beta" software out there that can do it, but it might not
be a good idea for production (drbd)

Just for reference; my hardware vendor can set me up with a Supermicro
Superserver with 8tb of SAS disk space on hardware raid, 8g of ram and
a 5410 quad core cpu for about $4500. From Dell, I can buy an empty
SAN box for about $5000, and then pay $500 ea for 1tb sas disks that I
can buy retail for about $200. The Dell solution provides no
replication either. The only thing I see Dell providing in this case
is a brand name and an on-site warranty. Given the most likely item
to fail in a storage server is going to be the storage, I don't see
the on-site warranty being a big bonus, since they still have to ship
you a new drive.

-Gordon

Old 11-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 10:18:02AM -0500, Gordon McLellan wrote:
> So the short answers are:
>
> 1) centos/redhat possess no built-in means of block-level replication
> via GFS / RHCS
> 2) openfiler provides some manor of block-level replication
> 3) there's "beta" software out there that can do it, but it might not
> be a good idea for production (drbd)
>
> Just for reference; my hardware vendor can set me up with a Supermicro
> Superserver with 8tb of SAS disk space on hardware raid, 8g of ram and
> a 5410 quad core cpu for about $4500. From Dell, I can buy an empty
> SAN box for about $5000, and then pay $500 ea for 1tb sas disks that I
> can buy retail for about $200. The Dell solution provides no
> replication either. The only thing I see Dell providing in this case
> is a brand name and an on-site warranty. Given the most likely item
> to fail in a storage server is going to be the storage, I don't see
> the on-site warranty being a big bonus, since they still have to ship
> you a new drive.

I'm guessing you mean SATA instead of SAS.

I suppose you could perhaps do something with iSCSI or ATAoE to another
similarly configured box and then tie the local corresponding block
device and the ATAoE/iSCSI block device together with RAID1 or LVM...

Don't know how well that'd work vs something drbd with a local, "fast"
device and a remote "slow" device (1Gbps over the network).

Ray

Old 11-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Rainer Duffner

Gordon McLellan schrieb:
> So the short answers are:
>
> 1) centos/redhat possess no built-in means of block-level replication
> via GFS / RHCS
> 2) openfiler provides some manor of block-level replication
> 3) there's "beta" software out there that can do it, but it might not
> be a good idea for production (drbd)
>
> Just for reference; my hardware vendor can set me up with a Supermicro
> Superserver with 8tb of SAS disk space on hardware raid, 8g of ram and
> a 5410 quad core cpu for about $4500. From Dell, I can buy an empty
> SAN box for about $5000, and then pay $500 ea for 1tb sas disks that I
> can buy retail for about $200. The Dell solution provides no
> replication either. The only thing I see Dell providing in this case
> is a brand name and an on-site warranty. Given the most likely item
> to fail in a storage server is going to be the storage, I don't see
> the on-site warranty being a big bonus, since they still have to ship
> you a new drive.

If you have a "real" SAN (HP EVA), you can buy block-level
replication-software for that.
But the software is not exactly cheap (six-figure-sum budget expected).
What does downtime cost for you?

With a SAN, you also need switches and HBAs - and everything redundant....

I'd look into ZFS+StorageTek Availability-Suite - or, as sugggested,
scrap the idea entirely and instead go for reliable hardware+onsite
spares + a fast backup (which also means fast restore, usually). If your
tape-backup does 80MB/s and you have 3 TB of data, you need about half a
day to do a full-restore...

cheers,
Rainer

Old 11-07-2008, 02:45 PM
"Flaherty, Patrick"

> high-availability
> brand name)?
> iscsi and smb,
> availability, but not
> >>>
> >> Check out openfiler?
> >>
> >> http://www.openfiler.com/products
> >>
> >> For me I would just buy a real storage array, better reliability
> >> generally. Though entry level pricing is around $20k.
> >
> > In some countries those storage arrays are about 3 more
> expensive, so
> > it's cheaper to build it yourself with PC / server components. I'm
> > actually interested in such a setup as well, and would like
> to cluster
> > 2x machines to give a network RAID setup. What would you recommend
> > using? The idea is to serve to servers which will be clustered as
> > well, hosting web hosting Virtual Private Servers.
> >

> You could use DRBD, if you trust it.
> AFAIK, Parallels more-or-less supports this.
> http://wiki.openvz.org/HA_cluster_with_DRBD_and_Heartbeat

I use drbd for database HA for over a year and have never seen any
problems. I'm fairly confident it's ability. I know this is a CentOS
mailing list, but a couple pizza boxes and a sas shelf that allows 2+
connections using open solaris+zfs may be your cheapest bet (if you
trust a single sas box). ZFS lets you export the volumes as iscsi, nfs,
and cifs. You can also use their storagetek suite to replicate over two
boxes with independent storage.

Patrick

Old 11-07-2008, 02:49 PM
"Gordon McLellan"

Ray,

I meant SAS; specifically Seagate Barracuda ES.2 drives. Here's a
tiny version of their huge url:

http://tiny.cc/3X9fI

No, they are not the super fast and expensive 15krpm database drives.

-Gordon