Old 11-06-2008, 04:07 PM
"RobertH"

Default windows auth in linux world

it is not my expertise so i need to get some direction please so i can
google better on this one.

looks like to many choices and i am sure some are time wasters.

for those of you that have done it, what is your recommendation on the
absolute easiest / fastest implementation to get a centos file (space)
server to auth from a windows domain controller?

do you need more info?

i know i do and have asked the windows admin if we need more than a login
and password or login/domain and password etc.

thanks in advance.

- rh

Old 11-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 09:07 -0800, RobertH wrote:
> it is not my expertise so i need to get some direction please so i can
> google better on this one.
>
> looks like to many choices and i am sure some are time wasters.
>
> for those of you that have done it, what is your recommendation on the
> absolute easiest / fastest implementation to get a centos file (space)
> server to auth from a windows domain controller?
>
> do you need more info?
>
> i know i do and have asked the windows admin if we need more than a login
> and password or login/domain and password etc.
>
> thanks in advance.
----
winbindd

part of the samba package - http://www.samba.org/samba/docs

check out the Samba 3 Howto documentation on the left side

Craig

Old 11-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Fabian Arrotin

RobertH wrote:

it is not my expertise so i need to get some direction please so i can
google better on this one.

looks like to many choices and i am sure some are time wasters.

for those of you that have done it, what is your recommendation on the
absolute easiest / fastest implementation to get a centos file (space)
server to auth from a windows domain controller?

do you need more info?

i know i do and have asked the windows admin if we need more than a login
and password or login/domain and password etc.

thanks in advance.

- rh

Configure samba to enter the domaine (with security = ADS or security =
domain , depending on your windows domain) , join the domain, use
winbind to resolv windows users/group, modify /etc/nsswitch.conf and
start using the samba server

More informations on the samba website of course

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>

Old 11-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Christopher Chan

RobertH wrote:

it is not my expertise so i need to get some direction please so i can
google better on this one.

looks like to many choices and i am sure some are time wasters.

for those of you that have done it, what is your recommendation on the
absolute easiest / fastest implementation to get a centos file (space)
server to auth from a windows domain controller?

Others have already told you what software to use and hinted at how to
do it...I have a question. Are you going to have more than one centos
based file servers? If you are, you may want to also use ldap as the
backend rid store for winbind to keep the uid mappings consistent across
all centos boxes.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Fabian Arrotin

Christopher Chan wrote:

RobertH wrote:

it is not my expertise so i need to get some direction please so i can
google better on this one.

looks like to many choices and i am sure some are time wasters.

for those of you that have done it, what is your recommendation on the
absolute easiest / fastest implementation to get a centos file (space)
server to auth from a windows domain controller?

Others have already told you what software to use and hinted at how to
do it...I have a question. Are you going to have more than one centos
based file servers? If you are, you may want to also use ldap as the
backend rid store for winbind to keep the uid mappings consistent across
all centos boxes.

Just my two cents (again) : you don't need a ldap based backed to have a
consistent uid mappings accross all samba servers : just use the
idmap_rid function in smb.conf to be sure that uid mappings are not
served on a 'first use, first served' but by using the rid part of the
windows SID an all samba servers .
More informations on
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/11/12/tips-and-tricks-how-can-i-configure-winbind-to-synchronize-user-and-group-ids-across-multiple-red-hat-enterprise-linux-hosts-on-active-directory-accounts/

--