Old 11-06-2008, 07:20 AM
lingu

Default Cluster Heart Beat Using Cross Over Cable

Hi,

I am running two node active/passive cluster running Centos3 update
8 64 bit on Hp Box with external hp storage connected via scsi. My
cluster was running fine for last 3 years.But all of a sudden cluster
service keep on shifting (atleast one time in a day )form one node to
another.

After analysed the syslog i found that due to some network
fluctuation service was getting shifted.Both the nodes has two NIC
bonded together and configured with below ip.

My network details:

192.168.1.2 --node 1 physical ip with class c subnet (bond0 )
192.168.1.3 --node 2 physical ip with class c subnet (bond0 )
192.168.1.4 --- floating ip ( cluster )

Since it is a very critical and busy server may be due to heavy
network load some hear beat signal is getting missed resulting in
shifting of service from one node to another.

So i planned to connect crossover cable for heart beat messages, can
any one guide me or provide me the link that best explains how to do
the same and the changes i have to made in cluster configuration file
after connecting the crossover cable.

Regards,

Lingu

Old 11-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Morten Torstensen

lingu wrote:

Since it is a very critical and busy server may be due to heavy
network load some hear beat signal is getting missed resulting in
shifting of service from one node to another.

For automated takeover systems, especially critical ones (tho you can
argue that any system setup with automatic takeover is critical by
definition), you should have multiple heartbeat paths. Ethernet, serial
cable, on shared disk, fibre or whatnot.

Having false takeovers due to missed heartbeat on one set of ethernet
cards could also likely be missed on another set of cards, even with a
crossover cable.

Maybe you should investigate alternate paths?

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten@mortent.org

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer
Poland.

-- Woody Allen

Old 11-06-2008, 11:41 AM
lingu

Hi,

I am running two node active/passive cluster running RHEL3 update
8 64 bit OS on Hp Box with external hp storage connected via scsi. My

Old 11-06-2008, 03:49 PM
John R Pierce

Morten Torstensen wrote:

lingu wrote:

Since it is a very critical and busy server may be due to heavy
network load some hear beat signal is getting missed resulting in
shifting of service from one node to another.

For automated takeover systems, especially critical ones (tho you can
argue that any system setup with automatic takeover is critical by
definition), you should have multiple heartbeat paths. Ethernet,
serial cable, on shared disk, fibre or whatnot.

Having false takeovers due to missed heartbeat on one set of ethernet
cards could also likely be missed on another set of cards, even with a
crossover cable.

Maybe you should investigate alternate paths?

indeed, commercial cluster software like Veritas REQUIRES dual path
dedicated heartbeat networks, and highly recommends implementing storage
'fencing' so that there's no way physically possible both systems could
simultaneously mount the storage.

fencing is fairly easy with SAN storage, you instruct the SAN switch to
only allow the currently active server to have access to the storage,
and when the standby server takes over, it instructs the switch to
disable access by the old active server before enabling access by
itself. fencing with shared scsi is much harder and requires special
hardware.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:12 PM
"Flaherty, Patrick"

> I am running two node active/passive cluster running Centos3 update
> 8 64 bit on Hp Box with external hp storage connected via scsi. My
> cluster was running fine for last 3 years.But all of a sudden cluster
> service keep on shifting (atleast one time in a day )form one node to
> another.
>
> After analysed the syslog i found that due to some network
> fluctuation service was getting shifted.Both the nodes has two NIC
> bonded together and configured with below ip.
>
> My network details:
>
> 192.168.1.2 --node 1 physical ip with class c subnet (bond0 )
> 192.168.1.3 --node 2 physical ip with class c subnet (bond0 )
> 192.168.1.4 --- floating ip ( cluster )
>
> Since it is a very critical and busy server may be due to heavy
> network load some hear beat signal is getting missed resulting in
> shifting of service from one node to another.
>
> So i planned to connect crossover cable for heart beat messages, can
> any one guide me or provide me the link that best explains how to do
> the same and the changes i have to made in cluster configuration file
> after connecting the crossover cable.

Hi Lingu,

I realize you're just trying to get this fixed, but what happened on
your network to make an ha pair that has been stable for three years
start getting flakey?

Everything I know about heartbeat comes from
http://www.linux-ha.org/ha.cf.

I'm fairly sure all you need to add to your config is a bcast line. In a
simple setup, "bcast eth0 eth1" will send heartbeats over eth0 and eth1,
you will probably want "bcast bond0 eth3" depending on your interface
names. Make sure you are also pinging a third host (the subnet's gateway
is a good choice). There was a heartbeat security issue a couple years
ago, you should consider planning to upgrade to a patched version.

Patrick

Old 11-06-2008, 04:24 PM
"Karchner, Craig (IT Solutions US)"

Lingu,

I had this same problem a few weeks back.

This is how I solved it.

Make sure your NIC's are at 1G.

Add the following entries into your cluster.ccs file and write it to
disk;

heartbeat_rate = 30
allowed_misses = 4

My cluster.ccs file looks like this now;

cluster {
name = "alpha"
lock_gulm {
servers = ["server1", "server2", "server3"]
heartbeat_rate = 30
allowed_misses = 4
}
}

This example procedure shows how to change configuration files in a CCS
archive.

1. Extract configuration files from the CCA device into temporary
directory /root/alpha-new/.

ccs_tool extract /dev/pool/alpha_cca /root/alpha-new/

2. Make changes to the configuration files in /root/alpha-new/.

3. Create a new CCS archive on the CCA device by using the -O (override)
flag to forcibly overwrite
the existing CCS archive.

ccs_tool -O create /root/alpha-new/ /dev/pool/alpha_cca

What you are suggesting ( cross over cable) is not supported at least in
GFS 6.0 which I assume you are running with RHEL 3.0