-   -   What is equivalent to MS OUTLOOK ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/18807-what-equivalent-ms-outlook.html)

thad 12-13-2007 12:23 PM

What is equivalent to MS OUTLOOK ?

I'm using Evolution as MUA backend is MSExchange.

On 12/12/07, Indunil Jayasooriya <indunil75@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for an open source email client package that is equivalent to
> MS OUTLOOK.
>
> Clients are running Windows XP and Vista and Linux. So the package should be
> able to run on both Windows And Linux.
>
> Mail server is running Ms Exchange. So this client pkg should be able to
> access Global Address book of the MS Exchange Server just as MS OUTLOOK.
>
> What about evolution ?
>
> Pls see, below URL
>
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/
>
> Can it do fulfil my requirements? or do you know any other pkg that can
> fulfil these requirements?
>

> --
> Thank you
> Indunil Jayasooriya

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
sometimes truth is stranger than fiction
-bad religion-
http://www.bloglines.com/blog/mailist
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't think the computers will take over the world. I have a bucket of water.

Scott Silva 12-13-2007 04:43 PM

What is equivalent to MS OUTLOOK ?

on 12/12/2007 9:41 PM Stewart, Craig spake the following:

evolution

I am looking for an open source email client package that is

equivalent to

MS OUTLOOK.

~~~~~~~~

Try Thunderbird with the Calendar plug-in.
~James

No windows version that I am aware of.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

John R Pierce 12-13-2007 06:05 PM

Scott Silva wrote:

Try Thunderbird with the Calendar plug-in.

No windows version that I am aware of.

Hmmm? I run Thunderbird on my Windows all the time.

However, I do believe the original poster is looking for something that
supports Exchange Server, presumably in Exchange/Outlook native mode.
Good luck. That is a proprietary RPC based server-side email system,
in that mode its neither POP nor IMAP. Exchange Server can be
configured to support POP and/or IMAP users, but then you lose all the
groupware 'benefits' of Exchange.

.

Dennis McLeod 12-13-2007 06:06 PM

Scott Silva wrote:

on 12/12/2007 9:41 PM Stewart, Craig spake the following:

evolution

I am looking for an open source email client package that is

equivalent to

MS OUTLOOK.

~~~~~~~~

Try Thunderbird with the Calendar plug-in.
~James

No windows version that I am aware of.

Thunderbird 2 w/ Lightning (calendar plugin) on XP here......

Scott Silva 12-13-2007 06:24 PM

What is equivalent to MS OUTLOOK ?

on 12/13/2007 11:05 AM John R Pierce spake the following:

Scott Silva wrote:

Try Thunderbird with the Calendar plug-in.

No windows version that I am aware of.

Hmmm? I run Thunderbird on my Windows all the time.

But the top-posted part I replied to was about Evolution.

<quote>

> evolution <<<<--------

</quote>

Chris Mauritz 12-13-2007 06:55 PM

Scott Silva wrote:

Try Thunderbird with the Calendar plug-in.

No windows version that I am aware of.

Hmmm? I run Thunderbird on my Windows all the time.

But the top-posted part I replied to was about Evolution.

<quote>

> evolution <<<<--------

Actually, if you're using Windows XP (32-bit), Evolution does work. At
least according to these folks:

http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/

Best,

"James D. Parra" 12-13-2007 07:04 PM

What is equivalent to MS OUTLOOK ?

on 12/13/2007 11:05 AM John R Pierce spake the following:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>>> Try Thunderbird with the Calendar plug-in.
>>
>> No windows version that I am aware of.
>>

> Hmmm? I run Thunderbird on my Windows all the time.

But the top-posted part I replied to was about Evolution.

<quote>

> evolution <<<<--------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

There is a windows version that runs on XP only.
http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/

Although, I have had good success with Thunderbird.

~James

Scott Silva 12-13-2007 07:09 PM

What is equivalent to MS OUTLOOK ?

on 12/13/2007 11:55 AM Chris Mauritz spake the following:

Scott Silva wrote:

Try Thunderbird with the Calendar plug-in.

No windows version that I am aware of.

Hmmm? I run Thunderbird on my Windows all the time.

But the top-posted part I replied to was about Evolution.

<quote>

> evolution <<<<--------

Actually, if you're using Windows XP (32-bit), Evolution does work. At
least according to these folks:

http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/

Best,

I stand corrected. A google search didn't hit that for me.

Scott Silva 12-13-2007 11:11 PM

Scott Silva wrote:

Try Thunderbird with the Calendar plug-in.

No windows version that I am aware of.

Hmmm? I run Thunderbird on my Windows all the time.

But the top-posted part I replied to was about Evolution.

<quote>

> evolution <<<<--------

Actually, if you're using Windows XP (32-bit), Evolution does work. At
least according to these folks:

http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/

Best,

After trying this, it doesn't work very well.

"These aren't the droids we're looking for. You can go about your business.
Move along. Move along."

Chris Mauritz 12-14-2007 01:43 AM

Scott Silva wrote:

> evolution <<<<--------

Actually, if you're using Windows XP (32-bit), Evolution does work.
At least according to these folks:

http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/

Best,

After trying this, it doesn't work very well.

"These aren't the droids we're looking for. You can go about your
business. Move along. Move along."

I haven't actually tried it myself since I'm satisfied with
Thunderbird. What exactly was wrong with it? I've never used Evolution
(even on Linux) since it always seemed rather buggy to me.

Best,