Old 12-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Mogens Kjaer

Default What is equivalent to MS OUTLOOK ?

Dennis McLeod wrote:
> Thunderbird 2 w/ Lightning (calendar plugin) on XP here......

BTW, why can't I install lightning on a centos 5.1 x86_64 machine?

If I download it from:

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/releases/0.7/contrib/linux-x86-64/

it says that the architecture Linux-x86_64-gcc3 is wrong.

It works on Fedora 7 x86_64.

I even tried building lightning from source, same error when installing
in thunderbird.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

Old 12-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Scott Silva

on 12/13/2007 6:43 PM Chris Mauritz spake the following:

Scott Silva wrote:

> evolution <<<<--------

Actually, if you're using Windows XP (32-bit), Evolution does work.
At least according to these folks:

http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/

Best,

After trying this, it doesn't work very well.

"These aren't the droids we're looking for. You can go about your
business. Move along. Move along."

I haven't actually tried it myself since I'm satisfied with
Thunderbird. What exactly was wrong with it? I've never used Evolution
(even on Linux) since it always seemed rather buggy to me.

I tried a quick install "just to see" and no matter how I tried to connect to
my imap server, it kept throwing ssl errors, even without trying an encrypted
connection. In no way could I connect and display messages or folders.

Then after uninstall, it left a lot of stuff behind, still running.
I think the creator made it just fit their requirements and stopped.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 12-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 10:40 -0800, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 12/13/2007 6:43 PM Chris Mauritz spake the following:

> >> After trying this, it doesn't work very well.
> >>
> >> "These aren't the droids we're looking for. You can go about your
> >> business. Move along. Move along."
> >

> > I haven't actually tried it myself since I'm satisfied with
> > Thunderbird. What exactly was wrong with it? I've never used Evolution
> > (even on Linux) since it always seemed rather buggy to me.
> >
> I tried a quick install "just to see" and no matter how I tried to connect to
> my imap server, it kept throwing ssl errors, even without trying an encrypted
> connection. In no way could I connect and display messages or folders.
> Then after uninstall, it left a lot of stuff behind, still running.
> I think the creator made it just fit their requirements and stopped.
----
I've been using Evolution in various versions via CentOS, RHEL and
Fedora for years, always with an IMAP server and using TLS too. Note
that this e-mail (like all my e-mails whether from office or home) was
written with Evolution.

Never had an issue

The only feature that it seems to lack is support for namespaces such as
those offered by cyrus with shared folders.

Craig

Old 12-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Timothy Selivanow

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 11:53 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 10:40 -0800, Scott Silva wrote:
> > on 12/13/2007 6:43 PM Chris Mauritz spake the following:

> > > I haven't actually tried it myself since I'm satisfied with
> > > Thunderbird. What exactly was wrong with it? I've never used Evolution
> > > (even on Linux) since it always seemed rather buggy to me.
> > >
> > I tried a quick install "just to see" and no matter how I tried to connect to
> > my imap server, it kept throwing ssl errors, even without trying an encrypted
> > connection. In no way could I connect and display messages or folders.
> > Then after uninstall, it left a lot of stuff behind, still running.
> > I think the creator made it just fit their requirements and stopped.
> ----
> I've been using Evolution in various versions via CentOS, RHEL and
> Fedora for years, always with an IMAP server and using TLS too. Note
> that this e-mail (like all my e-mails whether from office or home) was
> written with Evolution.
>
> Never had an issue
>
> The only feature that it seems to lack is support for namespaces such as
> those offered by cyrus with shared folders.
>
> Craig

I agree with Craig's sentiment about Evolution + IMAP. No problems.
Now, Evolution + Exchange Connector, that's a different story. My mail
box at work is on Exchange, and at the moment that probably isn't going
to change. I found the Exchange Connector to be too slow in versions
prior to 2.12 (inefficient recursive checking of mail in folders/shared
folders), but that 2.12 had it's own share of Exchange problems
(calendar messages were messed-up, *all* attachments came through as
that stoopid winmail.dat crap).

I've found that when dealing with Exchange and people on non-Windows
(even OSX w/o MS Office), you have two options:

1) Get rid of Exchange. (IMO, preferable)

-- or --

2) Enable IMAP, use what-ever client you want, and use OWA (Outlook Web
Access) for your calendaring. (not perfect, but works)

Now, I've heard of rumours that someone is working on a native MAPI
plug-in for Evolution (Connector uses OWA's RPC-over-HTTP), but no ETA
as of yet.

--Tim
_____________________
< Too many interrupts >

Old 12-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Scott Silva

on 12/14/2007 10:53 AM Craig White spake the following:

Scott Silva wrote:

[...]

I assure you, my negative was for the windows port mentioned above.
I just don't think it is quite ready for prime time yet. The native linux port
I don't have a problem with.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Karanbir Singh

Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:

Hi All,

I am looking for an open source email client package that is equivalent
to MS OUTLOOK.

This thread is now moderated off.