Old 11-04-2008, 03:54 PM
"William L. Maltby"

Default Closing a multi-session disk

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 16:27 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I have a disk which is not being recognised for reading, and I suspect that it
> may be a multi-session disk which has not been closed. K3b seems to agree
> with me, since it lists it as an appendable data cd. However, I can't find
> any way to close the session in k3b.
>
> I thought I remembered that it was possible to do that in xcdroast - which is
> almost certainly the application that burned the disk in the first place.
> However, xcdroast tells me that no disk is loaded.
>
> That brings me to ask those of you that use command-line burning if you know
> of any way I can close this disk. I suspect the files on it are ones that I
> don't have elsewhere.

I haven't used roast, but in cdrecord, IIRC the multi sessions must be
"fixed" to close the possibility of adding more sessions. Is there an
exquivalent in roast maybe?

> Anne
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 11-04-2008, 03:56 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>That brings me to ask those of you that use command-line burning if you know of any way I can close this disk. I suspect the files on it are ones that I don't have elsewhere.

Use cdrecord to fixate the disc (--fix).
jlc

Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Anne Wilson

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:54:30 William L. Maltby wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 16:27 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > I have a disk which is not being recognised for reading, and I suspect

> > that it may be a multi-session disk which has not been closed. K3b seems

> > to agree with me, since it lists it as an appendable data cd. However, I

> > can't find any way to close the session in k3b.

> > I thought I remembered that it was possible to do that in xcdroast -

> > which is almost certainly the application that burned the disk in the

> > first place. However, xcdroast tells me that no disk is loaded.

> > That brings me to ask those of you that use command-line burning if you

> > know of any way I can close this disk. I suspect the files on it are

> > ones that I don't have elsewhere.

> I haven't used roast, but in cdrecord, IIRC the multi sessions must be

> "fixed" to close the possibility of adding more sessions. Is there an

> exquivalent in roast maybe?

> > Anne

> > <snip sig stuff>

> HTH

When you make a burn you can choose to close it or not, but I can't find any way to do it after the event. And since it looks as though the disk is not being recognised I can't simply add a few files to get closure.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the disk is actually a year older than I first thought, in which case it would have been burned in Nero. Maybe multi-session is not or was not defined enough to be used cross-distro. Then again, you can't read an un-closed DVD from one drive on another one, so it may be that I just have to throw the disk out and hope that I had copies somewhere else of whatever was on it.

One thing, though. It has prompted me to go through all my old backup disks and make sure that nothing important exists in only one copy. :-)

Anne

Old 11-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Anne Wilson

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:56:45 Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> >That brings me to ask those of you that use command-line burning if you

> > know of any way I can close this disk. I suspect the files on it are

> > ones that I don't have elsewhere.

> Use cdrecord to fixate the disc (--fix).

> jlc

I'm not familiar with doing it this way, so could you be so kind as to give me a complete command? I guess that I could work it out from the man page, but it would take a lot of trial and error, and maybe getting something wrong would be risky.

Anne

Old 11-04-2008, 05:33 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I'm not familiar with doing it this way, so could you be so kind as to give me a complete command? I guess that I could work it out from the man page, but it would take a lot of trial and error, and maybe getting something wrong would be risky.

Off the top of my head:
$cdrecord -scanbus
See what device your burner is (Mine is 0,2,0)...
$cdrecord -fix dev=0,2,0

HTH,
jlc

Old 11-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Anne Wilson

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 18:33:31 Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> >I'm not familiar with doing it this way, so could you be so kind as to

> > give me a complete command? I guess that I could work it out from the man

> > page, but it would take a lot of trial and error, and maybe getting

> > something wrong would be risky.

> Off the top of my head:

> $cdrecord -scanbus

> See what device your burner is (Mine is 0,2,0)...

> $cdrecord -fix dev=0,2,0

Well, it was worth a try. It looked encouraging at first, but the output ended with

Last chance to quit, starting real write in 0 seconds. Operation starts.

Errno: 5 (Input/output error), close track/session scsi sendcmd: no error

CDB: 5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)

Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 A5 00 00 72 03 00 00

Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0

Sense Code: 0x72 Qual 0x03 (session fixation error - incomplete track in session) Fru 0x0

Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)

cmd finished after 0.004s timeout 480s

cmd finished after 0.004s timeout 480s

wodim: Cannot fixate disk.