Old 11-03-2008, 02:57 AM
Sven

Default total size/disk usage difference between source and destination

Hi folks

We migrated storage from local disk to SAN with:

# rsync -avz /mnt/lvol00045/* /lvol00045

Why there is a difference in size? How to explain this? Do we have
inconsistency? What we did wrong?

[...]
/dev/mapper/vg01-lvol00045_old
10321208 3930336 6286016 39% /mnt/lvol00045
[...]
/dev/mapper/vg01-lvol00045
10321208 3163852 6633068 33% /lvol00045
[...]

kind regards
Sven

Old 11-03-2008, 03:35 AM
John R Pierce

Sven wrote:

Hi folks

We migrated storage from local disk to SAN with:

# rsync -avz /mnt/lvol00045/* /lvol00045

Why there is a difference in size? How to explain this? Do we have
inconsistency? What we did wrong?

[...]
/dev/mapper/vg01-lvol00045_old
10321208 3930336 6286016 39% /mnt/lvol00045
[...]
/dev/mapper/vg01-lvol00045
10321208 3163852 6633068 33% /lvol00045

did rsync copy .* hidden files ?

do the two file systems have the same block size?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:12 AM
Les Mikesell

John R Pierce wrote:

Sven wrote:

Hi folks

We migrated storage from local disk to SAN with:

# rsync -avz /mnt/lvol00045/* /lvol00045

Why there is a difference in size? How to explain this? Do we have
inconsistency? What we did wrong?

[...]
/dev/mapper/vg01-lvol00045_old
10321208 3930336 6286016 39% /mnt/lvol00045
[...]
/dev/mapper/vg01-lvol00045
10321208 3163852 6633068 33% /lvol00045

did rsync copy .* hidden files ?

do the two file systems have the same block size?

Rsync would copy hidden files when recursing as a side effect of the -a
option. However, the shell is going to expand that '*' before rsync
sees the command line and miss any hidden files in the top level
directory. I'd probably have done:

cd /mnt/lvo100045
rsync -avH . /lvo00045
instead. That gives rsync a directory as a starting point without
having to remember the quirks of whether it will or won't create a
subdirectory of that name on the target. It also doesn't make sense to
use -z for a local file copy and you might need -H if you have
hardlinked files on the filesystem.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Rubin

Hi,

For what it's worth, I always specify my source and target paths as
absolute, ending in a slash (/). This has saved me from sneaky mistakes
many a time. Next to that, I don't know if your target filesystem is
supposed to be an exact copy of the source, but you did not specify
--delete which results in rsync not touching any files in the target
filesystem that do not match files in the source (ie. file foo exists in
target and stays there. with --delete it would be removed). I would
secify a sync between an target and source filesystem as follows:

rsync -avPH --delete /sourcefs/directoryA/ /targetfs/directoryA/

I've seen differences in fs sizes when the blocksize or type of
filesystem differ from one-another. Always wondered what the exact
underlying reason for it was (ie. I don't have a more exact answer ;-)

Kind regards,

Rubin.