Old 11-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Marko Vojinovic

Default Problem with widescreen display

I have a dual boot CentOS 5.2 / FC4 machine, and recently I have bought a new
widescreen tft monitor. I used to use a plain 4:3 crt, and after plugging the
16:9 tft naturally X needed reconfiguring. This was easy in FC4, and seemed
as easy in CentOS, but with a wrong result.

Basically, what I did was to run system-config-display to reconfigure for the
new monitor and resolution. All goes well, but after X restarts, I see a
strange picture: the resolution indeed goes to 1680x1050 as is supposed to,
but is squeezed/shrinked/scaled horizontally to match a 4:3 aspect ratio,
leaving two (unequal) black bands on the left and right side of the monitor.

This is specific to 1680x1050 resolution, while lower ones display ok up to
the fact that the virtual screen is usually bigger than the displayed part so
scrolling is necessarry (and this is annoying, for I cannot see the panel and
the top of the window simultaneously).

The very same hardware and virtually same X configuration work perfectly ok on
FC4, which suggests that this is not a hardware problem, nor an X problem.
Further, as I see, FC4 has older version of virtually all software than
CentOS.

I have tried various acrobatics with xorg.conf, but nothing helped; read
Xorg.0.log inside out and back, compared to FC4, and everything seems
essentially identical. X seems to work as everything is ok, so is mplayer
(even in fullscreen), but the black bands remain there and the whole desktop
is scaled to 4:3. The monitor "autoadjust" button also doesn't help (although
it works in general).

I'm out of ideas where to look for the cause of this. If you wish, I can post
xorg.conf and log files from both OSes, but they are mainly identical and I
see nothing suspicious.

Btw, this is on an nVidia GeForce 4 using the default nv driver. The vesa
driver doesn't support widescreen resolutions, while nvidia binary driver
crashes X completely on start (but this is a known motherboard problem common
to FC4 as well).

Is there some kernel setting or whatever that might "force" the graphics card
to 4:3 aspect irrespective of X configuration? Some "filter" between what X
tries to display and the actual signal to the monitor? What else can I try?

Any advice appreciated!

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 11-02-2008, 08:16 AM
MHR

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@panet.rs> wrote:

> I have a dual boot CentOS 5.2 / FC4 machine, and recently I have bought a new
> widescreen tft monitor. I used to use a plain 4:3 crt, and after plugging the
> 16:9 tft naturally X needed reconfiguring. This was easy in FC4, and seemed
> as easy in CentOS, but with a wrong result.

As some wise person suggested to me when I had this problem about
three months ago, did you also set the screen resolution in
System->Preferences? IIRC, that solved the problem on my machine.

HTH

mhr

Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 22:08 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> I have a dual boot CentOS 5.2 / FC4 machine, and recently I have bought a new
> widescreen tft monitor. I used to use a plain 4:3 crt, and after plugging the
> 16:9 tft naturally X needed reconfiguring. This was easy in FC4, and seemed
> as easy in CentOS, but with a wrong result.
>
> Basically, what I did was to run system-config-display to reconfigure for the
> new monitor and resolution. All goes well, but after X restarts, I see a
> strange picture: the resolution indeed goes to 1680x1050 as is supposed to,
> but is squeezed/shrinked/scaled horizontally to match a 4:3 aspect ratio,
> leaving two (unequal) black bands on the left and right side of the monitor.

This sounds like the "Modes" line in the "Subsection Display" may not
have the right settings. The manual/CD for the monitor should have the
right settings. I would compare those against what the configuration
process generated and manually edit if needed. Why the difference
between FC4 and CentOS, I can't guess.

I don't have the URL, but some time ago I googled and found a very
detailed description of the modes, their effects, "blanking" (the "black
bands") and the relationship of all those. Go googling if you think if
might help.

> <snip>

> Btw, this is on an nVidia GeForce 4 using the default nv driver. The vesa
> driver doesn't support widescreen resolutions, while nvidia binary driver
> crashes X completely on start (but this is a known motherboard problem common
> to FC4 as well).

Have you tried the nvidia drivers from rpmforge? It has drivers for both
the older and newer nVidia cards, all ready for CentOS. I'm using the
older driver now (standard CRT though, not a newer LCD/TFT wide-aspect
screen) and it works flawlessly.

I've also used the stuff from the nvidia site, but abandoned it as soon
as I found the older driver on rpmforge. So I can't say if that's a
better way to go. Several on the list have espoused that route and had
good results.

> Is there some kernel setting or whatever that might "force" the graphics card
> to 4:3 aspect irrespective of X configuration? Some "filter" between what X
> tries to display and the actual signal to the monitor? What else can I try?

All I can think of is that "Modes" line I mentioned above.

> Any advice appreciated!
>
> Best, :-)
> Marko
> <snip Sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 11-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Sunday 02 November 2008 09:16, MHR wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@panet.rs> wrote:
> > I have a dual boot CentOS 5.2 / FC4 machine, and recently I have bought a
> > new widescreen tft monitor. I used to use a plain 4:3 crt, and after
> > plugging the 16:9 tft naturally X needed reconfiguring. This was easy in
> > FC4, and seemed as easy in CentOS, but with a wrong result.
>
> As some wise person suggested to me when I had this problem about
> three months ago, did you also set the screen resolution in
> System->Preferences? IIRC, that solved the problem on my machine.

You are talking about Gnome menus? The screen resolution is already set there
as it should be, but doesn't solve my problem. But thanks for the thought.

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 11-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Sunday 02 November 2008 12:26, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 22:08 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > Basically, what I did was to run system-config-display to reconfigure for
> > the new monitor and resolution. All goes well, but after X restarts, I
> > see a strange picture: the resolution indeed goes to 1680x1050 as is
> > supposed to, but is squeezed/shrinked/scaled horizontally to match a 4:3
> > aspect ratio, leaving two (unequal) black bands on the left and right
> > side of the monitor.
>
> This sounds like the "Modes" line in the "Subsection Display" may not
> have the right settings. The manual/CD for the monitor should have the
> right settings. I would compare those against what the configuration
> process generated and manually edit if needed. Why the difference
> between FC4 and CentOS, I can't guess.

Comparing the CentOS and Fedora Xorg.0.log I found that the actual modelines
are just slightly different. Assuming that this difference might actually be
important, I took the known-to-work modeline from Fedora's Xorg.0.log,
copy-paste it in CentOS xorg.conf and forcing X to use that. But the result
is the same.

I will also try to find modeline data in the monitor manual, but I doubt that
it is not going to be any different than DDC values that X autodetects.

> I don't have the URL, but some time ago I googled and found a very
> detailed description of the modes, their effects, "blanking" (the "black
> bands") and the relationship of all those. Go googling if you think if
> might help.

I'll look into that, to educate myself about modelines beyond the man page.
But I have a feeling this problem is not related to modelines.

> > Btw, this is on an nVidia GeForce 4 using the default nv driver. The vesa
> > driver doesn't support widescreen resolutions, while nvidia binary driver
> > crashes X completely on start (but this is a known motherboard problem
> > common to FC4 as well).
>
> Have you tried the nvidia drivers from rpmforge? It has drivers for both
> the older and newer nVidia cards, all ready for CentOS. I'm using the
> older driver now (standard CRT though, not a newer LCD/TFT wide-aspect
> screen) and it works flawlessly.

Yes, I have tried the package from rpmforge, but it behaves the same way. But
the problem with binary drivers is that my motherboard has a bug in the bios
which autodetects and forces AGP to 8X, which in turn doesn't work for some
reason. This is the same for both Fedora and CentOS, and I gave up on 3d
acceleration on this hardware a long time ago. But this resolution problem is
related to nv driver, present in CentOS while absent in Fedora. Therefore I
believe it is unrelated to hardware issues.

Thanks for the help!

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 11-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Rainer Duffner

Marko Vojinovic schrieb:
> On Sunday 02 November 2008 12:26, William L. Maltby wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 22:08 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>>
>>> Basically, what I did was to run system-config-display to reconfigure for
>>> the new monitor and resolution. All goes well, but after X restarts, I
>>> see a strange picture: the resolution indeed goes to 1680x1050 as is
>>> supposed to, but is squeezed/shrinked/scaled horizontally to match a 4:3
>>> aspect ratio, leaving two (unequal) black bands on the left and right
>>> side of the monitor.
>>>
>> This sounds like the "Modes" line in the "Subsection Display" may not
>> have the right settings. The manual/CD for the monitor should have the
>> right settings. I would compare those against what the configuration
>> process generated and manually edit if needed. Why the difference
>> between FC4 and CentOS, I can't guess.
>>

> Comparing the CentOS and Fedora Xorg.0.log I found that the actual modelines
> are just slightly different. Assuming that this difference might actually be
> important, I took the known-to-work modeline from Fedora's Xorg.0.log,
> copy-paste it in CentOS xorg.conf and forcing X to use that. But the result
> is the same.

I only run CentOS on servers, but when I got my widescreen monitor at
work, I couldn't get the full resolution with the X that came with
OpenSuSE 10.3.
Only OpenSuSE 11 works.
Too bad that printing doesn't work in OpenSuSE 11 anymore....
My take: the X-server makes some assumptions that are not true for
widescreen hardware and throws away the modelines it gets (because it
thinks they won't work). Seems to have been fixed with later X releases
(or patches).
For desktop-use, there's little alternative to Ubuntu/OpenSuSE/Fedora
and re-installing every couple of months (and living with new and
surprising bugs every release).

Rainer

Old 11-03-2008, 09:29 AM
"B.J. McClure"

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 10:56 +0100, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic schrieb:

> >> This sounds like the "Modes" line in the "Subsection Display" may not
> >> have the right settings. The manual/CD for the monitor should have the
> >> right settings. I would compare those against what the configuration
> >> process generated and manually edit if needed. Why the difference
> >> between FC4 and CentOS, I can't guess.
> >>

> > Comparing the CentOS and Fedora Xorg.0.log I found that the actual modelines
> > are just slightly different. Assuming that this difference might actually be
> > important, I took the known-to-work modeline from Fedora's Xorg.0.log,
> > copy-paste it in CentOS xorg.conf and forcing X to use that. But the result
> > is the same.
> >

> I only run CentOS on servers, but when I got my widescreen monitor at
> work, I couldn't get the full resolution with the X that came with
> OpenSuSE 10.3.
> Only OpenSuSE 11 works.
> Too bad that printing doesn't work in OpenSuSE 11 anymore....
> My take: the X-server makes some assumptions that are not true for
> widescreen hardware and throws away the modelines it gets (because it
> thinks they won't work). Seems to have been fixed with later X releases
> (or patches).
> For desktop-use, there's little alternative to Ubuntu/OpenSuSE/Fedora
> and re-installing every couple of months (and living with new and
> surprising bugs every release).
FWIW, here is a section from /etc/X11/xorg.cong on a working 22 inch widescreen workstation running 1680x1050.
We have around 20 machines, all workstations, some 32 bit some 64 bit, all running CentOS 5.2 on Asus hardware
with various flavors of Nvidia graphics adapters, and all are 22 inch widescreen Viewsonic monitors.

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
With all due respect, to suggest that CentOS is unsat for desktop use is simply incorrect. All
servers(no GUI) and workstations we have run CentOS. Only for laptops do we consider Ubuntu LTS.

Cheers,
B.J.

CentOS 5.2, Linux 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5 x86_64 04:11:11 up 6 days, 12:58, 1
user, load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.08

Old 11-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Vaclav Mocek

Hi,

It is really strange, I would expect problems with FC4. Could you send
your xorg.conf and describe your graphic hardware?

BR

Vaclav

Old 11-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Saturday 01 November 2008 22:08, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Basically, what I did was to run system-config-display to reconfigure for
> the new monitor and resolution. All goes well, but after X restarts, I see
> a strange picture: the resolution indeed goes to 1680x1050 as is supposed
> to, but is squeezed/shrinked/scaled horizontally to match a 4:3 aspect
> ratio, leaving two (unequal) black bands on the left and right side of the
> monitor.
[snip]
> The very same hardware and virtually same X configuration work perfectly ok
> on FC4
[snip]

Ok, just for the record, I resolved the issue, in the following way:

- took the exact modeline parameters for 1680x1050 (known to work) from FC4's
Xorg.0.log and copy-pasted it into CentOS's xorg.conf
- also took the DisplaySize, HorizSync and VertRefresh parameters from the
Fedora's log and put it into xorg.conf
- Disabled the DDC (undocumented option!!!) <----- CRUCIAL PART !!!
- took the modeline parameters for various other resolutions since without DDC
nothing gets autoconfigured
- restarted X

Now everything works perfectly, and my hacked xorg.conf is just the default
one with the following "Monitor" section:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1680x1050"
# hacked DisplaySize --- note that the values are *wrong*,
# monitor is actually 470x300 mm
DisplaySize 370 280
HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
VertRefresh 60.0 - 60.0
Option "dpms"
# turned off the DDC; didn't know which option would do
# the job so put them both there
Option "NoDDC" "true"
Option "DDC" "false"
# various modelines, taken from Fedora's log:
Modeline "1680x1050" 147.14 1680 1784 1968 2256 1050 1051 1054 1087 -hsync
+vsync
Modeline "1400x1050" 122.00 1400 1488 1640 1880 1050 1052 1064 1082 +hsync
+vsync
Modeline "800x600" 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync
Modeline "640x480" 25.20 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync
EndSection

Hopefully someone with a similar problem maybe finds this useful. ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 11-10-2008, 09:00 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 00:20 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Saturday 01 November 2008 22:08, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > Basically, what I did was to run system-config-display to reconfigure for
> > the new monitor and resolution. All goes well, but after X restarts, I see
> > a strange picture: the resolution indeed goes to 1680x1050 as is supposed
> > to, but is squeezed/shrinked/scaled horizontally to match a 4:3 aspect
> > ratio, leaving two (unequal) black bands on the left and right side of the
> > monitor.
> [snip]
> > The very same hardware and virtually same X configuration work perfectly ok
> > on FC4
> [snip]
>
> Ok, just for the record, I resolved the issue, in the following way:
>
> - took the exact modeline parameters for 1680x1050 (known to work) from FC4's
> Xorg.0.log and copy-pasted it into CentOS's xorg.conf
> - also took the DisplaySize, HorizSync and VertRefresh parameters from the
> Fedora's log and put it into xorg.conf
> - Disabled the DDC (undocumented option!!!) <----- CRUCIAL PART !!!
> - took the modeline parameters for various other resolutions since without DDC
> nothing gets autoconfigured
> - restarted X
>
> Now everything works perfectly, and my hacked xorg.conf is just the default
> one with the following "Monitor" section:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Monitor0"
> ModelName "LCD Panel 1680x1050"
> # hacked DisplaySize --- note that the values are *wrong*,
> # monitor is actually 470x300 mm
> DisplaySize 370 280
> HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
> VertRefresh 60.0 - 60.0
> Option "dpms"
> # turned off the DDC; didn't know which option would do
> # the job so put them both there
> Option "NoDDC" "true"
> Option "DDC" "false"
> # various modelines, taken from Fedora's log:
> Modeline "1680x1050" 147.14 1680 1784 1968 2256 1050 1051 1054 1087 -hsync
> +vsync
> Modeline "1400x1050" 122.00 1400 1488 1640 1880 1050 1052 1064 1082 +hsync
> +vsync
> Modeline "800x600" 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync
> Modeline "640x480" 25.20 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync
> EndSection
>
> Hopefully someone with a similar problem maybe finds this useful. ;-)

Well, I think its utility is such that it ought to be in the wiki hints.
If you have time and interest, why don't you ask the folks for access
and location in the wiki? Adding a little commentary about the meaning
of the values would make it useful to similar, but slightly different,
setups as well.

Glad you "fingered" it out.

--
Bill