Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 PM
"Mag Gam"

Default swap being used?

I have a machine with 64GB of memory in our lab. We have memory
demanding processes and natually swap gets used. However when these
processes are gone and the system is idle, we still see swap being
used. Is this normal behavior?

TIA

Old 11-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Stephen Harris

> I have a machine with 64GB of memory in our lab. We have memory
> demanding processes and natually swap gets used. However when these
> processes are gone and the system is idle, we still see swap being
> used. Is this normal behavior?

Perfectly normal. If the pages that have been swapped out are not used
then the system won't bother paging them back in again; keeps even more
memory free for other uses.

For example, my small 360Mb machine:

% free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 368844 330740 38104 0 14928 248348
-/+ buffers/cache: 67464 301380
Swap: 263160 560 262600

560K of swap in use even though there's 300Mb of free space; that 560K
is just not in active use, so is better off on disk than in RAM.

If you _really_ cared you could swapoff to force the pages back to RAM
and then swapon again. But it's not worth it.

--

rgds
Stephen