Old 12-13-2007, 03:11 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default Dependency error for perl-Digest-Perl-MD5

I enabled rpmforge on a fresh install as per the centos wiki
with priorities and attempted to execute ‘yum install perl-Digest-Perl-MD5’
and received the following:

*

[root@test ~]# yum install perl-Digest-Perl-MD5

Setting up Install Process

Setting up repositories

241 packages excluded due to repository priority protections

Parsing package install arguments

Resolving Dependencies

--> Populating transaction set with selected packages.
Please wait.

---> Package perl-Digest-Perl-MD5.noarch 0:1.8-1.el5.rf
set to be updated

--> Running transaction check

--> Processing Dependency: /usr/bin/false for package:
perl-Digest-Perl-MD5

--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Error: Missing Dependency: /usr/bin/false is needed by
package perl-Digest-Perl-MD5

*

How do I resolve this?

*

Thanks!

jlc

Old 12-13-2007, 04:33 AM
Mark Pryor

--- "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@ActiveNetwerx.com>
wrote:

> I enabled rpmforge on a fresh install as per the
> centos wiki with priorities and attempted to execute
> 'yum install perl-Digest-Perl-MD5' and received the
> following:
>
> [root@test ~]# yum install perl-Digest-Perl-MD5
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> 241 packages excluded due to repository priority
> protections
> Parsing package install arguments
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected
> packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package perl-Digest-Perl-MD5.noarch
> 0:1.8-1.el5.rf set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: /usr/bin/false for
> package: perl-Digest-Perl-MD5
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: /usr/bin/false is needed
> by package perl-Digest-Perl-MD5
>
> How do I resolve this?

Joe,

Sure the SPEC is broken since the dependency is on a
binary file from package coreutils, rather than
another RPM.

However, you are using a Cadillac OS (Linux) which
includes a C-compiler and has as part of its core perl
the perl module Digest::MD5.

------------- snip Digest-Perl-MD5 disclaimer -------
DISCLAIMER
This is not an interface (like "Digest::MD5") but
a Perl implementation
of MD5. It is written in perl only and because of
this it is slow but it
works without C-Code. You should use "Digest::MD5"
instead of this
module if it is available. This module is only
usefull for

computers where you cannot install
"Digest::MD5" (e.g. lack of a
C-Compiler)

encrypting only small amounts of data (less
than one million bytes).
I use it to hash passwords.

educational purposes
----------------- end snip -------------

I have good news for you. This is one time where its
OK to use CPAN!! We give you permission.

--
Mark

Old 12-13-2007, 04:42 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I have good news for you. This is one time where its
>OK to use CPAN!! We give you permission.
>
>--
>Mark

Mark,
Thanks for the advice. I noticed that Perl shows docs for Digest::MD5, would I be correct in assuming that this means its pre-installed?

Thanks you,
jlc

Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 AM
Mark Pryor

wrote:

> >I have good news for you. This is one time where
> its
> >OK to use CPAN!! We give you permission.
> >
> >--
> >Mark
>
> Mark,
> Thanks for the advice. I noticed that Perl shows
> docs for Digest::MD5, would I be correct in assuming
> that this means its pre-installed?

Yes. It comes with the RPM perl:
rpm -ql perl | grep MD5.pm

which means its part of core perl.

I had doubts that you needed Digest::Perl::MD5 as a
dependency of another RPM. If you need any generic
MD5.pm, then Digest::MD5 should be more than adequate.

--
Mark

Old 12-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Mark Pryor wrote:

Error: Missing Dependency: /usr/bin/false is needed
by package perl-Digest-Perl-MD5

Sure the SPEC is broken since the dependency is on a
binary file from package coreutils, rather than
another RPM.

just curious: isn't it OK for a SPEC to have a dep on a file rather than
a package?
Although in this case the path is wrong, it's /bin/false on centos, so
the depsolver must fail.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Karanbir Singh

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> [root@test ~]# yum install perl-Digest-Perl-MD5
> ---> Package perl-Digest-Perl-MD5.noarch 0:1.8-1.el5.rf set to be updated
> How do I resolve this?

You really should bring this up on the rpmforge mailing list, so the
problem can be solved at the source of the problem.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Karanbir Singh

Mark Pryor wrote:
> Sure the SPEC is broken since the dependency is on a
> binary file from package coreutils, rather than
> another RPM.

I am not sure what you mean by that - are you implying that coreutils is
not an RPM ? or do you mean to say that the dep is for a file rather
than a rpm ?

because, coreutils is a rpm, so other packages can depend on components
from this rpm. And its fine for a rpm to have a dependency on a specific
file, it does not need to only depend on other rpms.