Old 11-01-2008, 01:42 PM
"Tronn Wśrdahl"

Default CentOS 5.2 and Bacula

Hi everyone,

I have a Samba server on CentOS 5.2 that I would like to and some backup service to, I have been trying to install Bacula, because I want to backup MS machines too, and there is a web GUI.* But when searching around i google I get a bit confused. about what packages I need.

Has anyone got bacula running on Centos or maybe guide in the right direction.

Tronn

Old 11-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 15:42 +0100, Tronn Wśrdahl wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a Samba server on CentOS 5.2 that I would like to and some
> backup service to, I have been trying to install Bacula, because I
> want to backup MS machines too, and there is a web GUI. But when
> searching around i google I get a bit confused. about what packages I
> need.
>
> Has anyone got bacula running on Centos or maybe guide in the right
> direction.
----
sure a bunch of us...

CentOS 5, download from here...(install only EL5 packages that apply)

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50727&package_id=213714&rel ease_id=619621

Server you would probably want bacula-mysql, bacula-bat, possibly
bacula-mtx and possibly bacula-gconsole or bacula-wxconsole

Any CentOS clients would only need the bacula-client

Windows client, download from here...

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50727&package_id=110235&rel ease_id=632261

Craig

Old 11-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Les Mikesell

Tronn Wśrdahl wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a Samba server on CentOS 5.2 that I would like to and some backup
service to, I have been trying to install Bacula, because I want to backup
MS machines too, and there is a web GUI. But when searching around i google
I get a bit confused. about what packages I need.

Has anyone got bacula running on Centos or maybe guide in the right
direction.

You might want to look at backkuppc as an alternative if you are mostly
backing up to disk and accessing it online. The linking and compression
scheme it uses will keep a larger history in less space.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-03-2008, 09:19 AM
"Tronn Wśrdahl"

----

sure a bunch of us...

CentOS 5, download from here...(install only EL5 packages that apply)

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50727&package_id=213714&rel ease_id=619621

Server you would probably want bacula-mysql, bacula-bat, possibly

bacula-mtx and possibly bacula-gconsole or bacula-wxconsole

Any CentOS clients would only need the bacula-client

Windows client, download from here...

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50727&package_id=110235&rel ease_id=632261

Craig

Thanks, I got it now, both CentOS and MS clients running bacula

Tronn

Old 11-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Jun Salen

>> I have a Samba server on CentOS 5.2 that I would like to and some backup
>> service to, I have been trying to install Bacula, because I want to backup
>> MS machines too, and there is a web GUI. But when searching around i google
>> I get a bit confused. about what packages I need.
>>
>> Has anyone got bacula running on Centos or maybe guide in the right
>> direction.
>
>You might want to look at backkuppc as an alternative if you are mostly
>backing up to disk and accessing it online. The linking and compression
>scheme it uses will keep a larger history in less space.

Hi,

Between Bacula and Backuppc, based on list users experience, which is better to use? I intend
to backup both Windows and Linux server. Can I use this to backup my linux mail server with
Zimbra services shutdown? Can I use this to backup windows server machine without using Samba
or it is the only way to go. I intend to read manual of these two when I got my machine to test, for a
while maybe I can get some insight from those who have already experience using these tools.

Thanks,

junji
aisalen.wordpress.com
Linux Registered User #253162
CentOS User

Get your preferred Email name!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:13 AM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 21:26, Jun Salen <nokijun@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Between Bacula and Backuppc, based on list users experience, which is better to use? I intend
> to backup both Windows and Linux server. Can I use this to backup my linux mail server with
> Zimbra services shutdown? Can I use this to backup windows server machine without using Samba
> or it is the only way to go. I intend to read manual of these two when I got my machine to test, for a
> while maybe I can get some insight from those who have already experience using these tools.

You can do all that with both tools.

Bacula is tape oriented, so if you're backing up to tape it's going to
be the tool for you. It also supports backing up to disk, but it backs
up to disk as if it was a tape (a set of tapes, actually) which is
kind of awkward. In my opinion, Bacula's user interface is kind of
weird too.

Backuppc backs up to disk only, but it has a great advantage that it
finds duplicate files and uses hardlinks to reduce storage usage, so
it can usually back up much more data than Bacula in the same space.
Another advantage of Backuppc is that it backs up using rsync or tar
over ssh or smbtar for Windows, so in general you don't need to
install an agent on the client machines. It's web interface is also
very good.

So, you should choose mainly based on the media you're using for backups.

IMHO, if you still use tapes, forget the past and move to the future
of disk-based backups, and adopt Backuppc as your tool.

HTH,
Filipe

Old 11-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Paul Heinlein

IMHO, if you still use tapes, forget the past and move to the future
of disk-based backups, and adopt Backuppc as your tool.

There are trade-offs here. Tapes are generally regarded as having a
longer shelf life than disks, and they're less susceptible to
physical damage during transport -- both important if off-site
backups are part of your strategy.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Les Mikesell