Old 10-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Default offtopic question .. apprecyice ur help

fabian dacunha wrote:
> its a offtopic question but really apprecite if someone would advise n help
> i have been running a mil server with sendmail
>
> and have sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org as my dnsbl.
>
> i had other servers which are alredy out now
> that is relays.ordb.org and dsbl.org have already been out of my sendmail
> config.
>
> any one knows of ny other servers i could add in my sendmail config

Any list which you trust enough to make the decision *which* mails you
accept for you.

Which would leave "none" for me.

Even sbl.spamhaus.org contains a blacklist, which sometimes lists
because of the name the machine has (CBL that is).

Ralph

Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 PM
"fabian dacunha"

Dear All,

its a offtopic question but really apprecite if someone would advise n help
i have been running a mil server with sendmail

and have sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org as my dnsbl.

i had other servers which are alredy out now
that is relays.ordb.org and dsbl.org have already been out of my sendmail
config.

any one knows of ny other servers i could add in my sendmail config

apprecite ur help

thanks

regards

Fabian

believed to be clean.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Ned Slider

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

fabian dacunha wrote:

its a offtopic question but really apprecite if someone would advise n help
i have been running a mil server with sendmail

and have sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org as my dnsbl.

i had other servers which are alredy out now
that is relays.ordb.org and dsbl.org have already been out of my sendmail
config.

any one knows of ny other servers i could add in my sendmail config

Any list which you trust enough to make the decision *which* mails you
accept for you.

Which would leave "none" for me.

Even sbl.spamhaus.org contains a blacklist, which sometimes lists
because of the name the machine has (CBL that is).

Ralph

DNSBL has information on many RBLs together with statistics on their
effectiveness:

http://stats.dnsbl.com/

Other popular RBLs besides Spamhaus include Spamcop, PSBL and uceprotect.

As Ralph says, any RBL should be used with a certain amount of caution
as it has the potential to cause FPs (some more so than others). An
alternative approach is to use such RBLs as part of a scoring system
such as SpamAssassin. This is particularly useful for RBLs that you
don't trust to outright reject mail at the smtp level.

If you want to improve on the performance of sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, I
would first look at switching to the combined zen.spamhaus.org zone
which also contains the pbl.spamhaus.org zone. My own data shows
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org to block around 50% of spam whereas
zen.spamhaus.org hits on around 90% of spam with very few FPs for me -
YMMV. You should monitor performance closely.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:23 PM
"Matt Shields"

[...]

Anyone have any experience dealing with SURBL?* I have a client who's domain and IP is not listed in SURBL, but their client in China is using SURBL and my client's emails are getting blocked.* Can't seem to find how SURBL is blocking them

--
-matt

Old 10-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Scott Silva

<snip>

> Anyone have any experience dealing with SURBL? I have a client who's
> domain and IP is not listed in SURBL, but their client in China is using
> SURBL and my client's emails are getting blocked. Can't seem to find
> how SURBL is blocking them

Could the client in China either have an old copy of the feed, or maybe a
Chinese ISP keeps an older copy cached of the feed?

The Chinese client could also whitelist your client.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 10-31-2008, 04:14 PM
"Matt Shields"

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Anyone have any experience dealing with SURBL? *I have a client who's

> domain and IP is not listed in SURBL, but their client in China is using

> SURBL and my client's emails are getting blocked. *Can't seem to find

> how SURBL is blocking them

Could the client in China either have an old copy of the feed, or maybe a

Chinese ISP keeps an older copy cached of the feed?

The Chinese client could also whitelist your client.

I've moved their website to 3 totally different ISPs.* LayeredTech, Superbhost, and now Savvis colo.

Not sure on the whitelist, we've having a hard time getting anyone in the China office that knows how this is setup.* I guess the previous tech that set it up left.

--
-matt

Old 10-31-2008, 04:34 PM
"fabian dacunha"

Thanks guys for ur immediate reply

do apprecite

i try to incoporate some of the RBLS and check it out

regards

simon

believed to be clean.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Glenn

At 01:34 PM 10/31/2008, you wrote:

Thanks guys for ur immediate reply

do apprecite

i try to incoporate some of the RBLS and check it out

regards

simon

Depending upon your outcome, there are other methods you can use to
modify for better results. You may find inserting the RBL in sendmail
as a successful choice.

In case you do not, What I use is a combination of scoring within
SpamAssassin on the public RBLs and maintaining my own RBL on my
local mail servers (See http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/rbldnsd.html).

I got too many false positives off publicly available RBLs, but
adding up the number of RBLs a sender 'hits' made my SpamAssassin
scoring method VERY ACCURATE!

Good luck and keep fighting!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Scott Silva

on 10-31-2008 10:14 AM Matt Shields spake the following:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Scott Silva
> <ssilva@sgvwater.com
> <mailto:ssilva@sgvwater.com>> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Anyone have any experience dealing with SURBL? I have a client who's
> > domain and IP is not listed in SURBL, but their client in China is
> using
> > SURBL and my client's emails are getting blocked. Can't seem to find
> > how SURBL is blocking them
> >
> Could the client in China either have an old copy of the feed, or
> maybe a
> Chinese ISP keeps an older copy cached of the feed?
>
> The Chinese client could also whitelist your client.
>

> I've moved their website to 3 totally different ISPs. LayeredTech,
> Superbhost, and now Savvis colo.
>
> Not sure on the whitelist, we've having a hard time getting anyone in
> the China office that knows how this is setup. I guess the previous
> tech that set it up left.

The Chinese government also blocks a lot of stuff. Maybe you can get them to
pony up for a roadtrip? ;-P

Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Fabian dacunha wrote on Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:49:18 +0300 (AST):

> its a offtopic question

That doesn't mean that you can't give it a meaningful subject. Thanks.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany