Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Dag Wieers

Default Tired of Fedora, shopping for a new OS. Upgrade from F8 ? CentOS kernel versions ?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Dag Wieers wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:

Linuxguy123 wrote:

> b) One of the things I really need are up to date (bleeding edge)
> kernels. For example, F8 has 2.6.26 kernels, whereas CentOS appears to
> be running 2.6.18 kernels. I do know how to build my own kernels, but
> that is a pain.
>
> Does someone keep a separate repository that has more modern kernels ?

> Can yum be configured to use only specific packages (ie kernels) from a
> specific repository ?

Why not step up and offer to maintain a bleeding edge kernel in the
centos-plus repos ?

That would not be a bad idea. I always wondered how well a recent kernel
would work with CentOS 5, but I never took the time to test a Fedora kernel
on my dependable boxes.

A project with this focus might indeed be useful.

Let me add that nothing should be holding you (anyone) from starting a
project by sending an email with intentions, get hold of a wiki-page to
list your ideas and progress and motivating people to help and test.

Whether that is a bleeding-edge kernel project, a new tool to migrate
sideways to and from RHEL, or a design, documentation or translation
project. I am sure your effort is useful, but often it needs commitment
and determination to get things going.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Dag Wieers