-   -   Tired of Fedora, shopping for a new OS. Upgrade from F8 ? CentOS kernel versions ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/185282-tired-fedora-shopping-new-os-upgrade-f8-centos-kernel-versions.html)

Dag Wieers 10-30-2008 11:27 PM

Tired of Fedora, shopping for a new OS. Upgrade from F8 ? CentOS kernel versions ?

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:

Linuxguy123 wrote:

b) One of the things I really need are up to date (bleeding edge)
kernels. For example, F8 has 2.6.26 kernels, whereas CentOS appears to
be running 2.6.18 kernels. I do know how to build my own kernels, but
that is a pain.

Does someone keep a separate repository that has more modern kernels ?
Can yum be configured to use only specific packages (ie kernels) from a
specific repository ?

Why not step up and offer to maintain a bleeding edge kernel in the
centos-plus repos ?

That would not be a bad idea. I always wondered how well a recent kernel
would work with CentOS 5, but I never took the time to test a Fedora
kernel on my dependable boxes.

A project with this focus might indeed be useful.