Old 10-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default Tired of Fedora, shopping for a new OS. Upgrade from F8 ? CentOS kernel versions ?

Linuxguy123 wrote:

b) One of the things I really need are up to date (bleeding edge)
kernels. For example, F8 has 2.6.26 kernels, whereas CentOS appears to
be running 2.6.18 kernels. I do know how to build my own kernels, but
that is a pain.

Does someone keep a separate repository that has more modern kernels ?
Can yum be configured to use only specific packages (ie kernels) from a
specific repository ?

Why not step up and offer to maintain a bleeding edge kernel in the
centos-plus repos ?

Old 10-31-2008, 12:37 AM
Phil Schaffner

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 22:33 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > b) One of the things I really need are up to date (bleeding edge)
> > kernels. For example, F8 has 2.6.26 kernels, whereas CentOS appears to
> > be running 2.6.18 kernels. I do know how to build my own kernels, but
> > that is a pain.
> >
> > Does someone keep a separate repository that has more modern kernels ?
> > Can yum be configured to use only specific packages (ie kernels) from a
> > specific repository ?
>
> Why not step up and offer to maintain a bleeding edge kernel in the
> centos-plus repos ?

IMHO should be a separate repo, or at least a naming scheme that would
let people still use the "traditional" centos-plus kernels (derived from
the same kernel versions with additional components being turned on)
would be required. Otherwise there would be too much risk of people
unintentionally updating to bleeding-edge kernels.

Along these lines, it might be a good idea to add some of the other more
"modern" features for those who want them and understand the risks -
again in a clearly specified bleeding-edge repo (or repos) - as long as
people are willing to step up and help with building, testing, and
maintaining packages. From recent requests on the list there seems to
be some pent-up demand for newer features. This could help establish
CentOS as both a platform that can be used by those who want EL
stability but don't need the support, and as a "bridge" for testing new
features on a stable base.

Phil

Old 10-31-2008, 07:25 AM
Rubin

Hi,

for what it's worth, I'm running CentOS 5 with the planet-core,
planet-ccrma and novell-mono repos which exist for centos/rhel5 these
days. The planet-core repo contains the 2.6.24.7 with realtime patches
and other goodness for audio/video stuffs. I've been using this setup
for about 6 months now and i'm very happy with the stability + speed
this offers.

Greets,

Rubin.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Karanbir Singh

Phil Schaffner wrote:

IMHO should be a separate repo, or at least a naming scheme that would
let people still use the "traditional" centos-plus kernels

Sure, thats a bridge to cross when we have someone offering to maintain
this. And I was already thinking along those lines..

- KB

Old 11-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Milton Calnek

believed to be clean.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Les Mikesell

Vandaman wrote:

Milton Calnek wrote:

Sorry, I missed the question. I'm severely confused
and I don't know what I'm talking about.

My friend, stop misquoting me. See
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-November/067393.html

Are you leading by example here?

--